• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some advice on this lower dashboard pad (knee bolster)

I was taking a fast corner a few days ago when half of the knee bolster flopped onto my leg.

When I looked closer, I could tell it had been attached with a glue gun on all but one attachment point.

dashglue1.jpg

When I completed removing the pad (using directions from this site), I saw that three of the attachment points were missing.
lowerdashboardpad3.jpglowerdashboardpad2.jpglowerdashboardpad1.jpg

I figure that I have three options:
1) Learn out from one of you if there is a good way to fix it. I do not have the parts that are missing.
2) Buy a new or used one
3) Hot glue it on again.

I found a controls for a radar detector just on the underside of the dash, and all of the wiring for it inside the dash. It appears that some stereo shop went to wire in the detector and, having absolutely no clue how to detach the pad, just pulled it off and glued it back on. It even possible that the original owner did not know that it had been broken and re-attached.

I would appreaciate any sage advice that Primers can offer.

Looks like the previous owner or a shop broke off the mounting posts.
I'd say your bolster is not repairable and perhaps check with Shawn to see if he's got one.

Had the same issue with mine when I bought it. Some idiot yanked it off and broke all the tabs. Very annoying. Unfortunately there's really no effective way to fix it. Either glue it back on or if you're lucky you can find one on the secondary market. Last option is to buy new but those suckers aren't cheap.

I tried using hot glue but once the ambient temperature got above 90 degrees it came apart. You should try a hard plastic glue or just buy a new one (I did the latter)

I am surprised how little I notice it is gone. I guess it just sits out of my normal line of sight. Still, I want to get it replaced--or at least glue this one back on--soon. I'm thinking of using adhesive caulk so i can peel it back off when needed.

When I purchased my car both of the bottom attachment ears were broken. I fabricated a couple ears out of aluminum and then glued them to the plastic with 3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive. I'm out of town now and won't be home till the first of Nov. When I get home I can send you some pictures if you would like, or if you aren't in a big hurry send it to me and I will see what I can do for you. It's a lot easier to fabricate a fix when I have mine to use for a pattern.
Brad

Plastic repairs are difficult because most conventional adhesives do not work well with the typical plastics used in car interiors. I have had success with using Velcro brand's industrial hook and loop fastener system for attaching stuff (never tried it on an interior panel). Its been a couple of years since I removed the knee bolster to clean my turn signal switch, so I don't really remember the attachment details. That said, if the bolster attachment points butt up against a relatively flat surface on the underside of the dash, you may be able to stick a large enough piece of the hook and loop fastener which would support the weight of the pad.

The industrial hook and loop fastener material has a very high adhesion to itself and with a reasonable amount of surface, should support the weight of the bolster pad without any problem. The failure point (if there is one) will likely be the adhesive that attaches the hook or loop to the plastic backing on the bolster cover just because, as noted, most glues do not stick to that stuff.

The combined hook and loop fastener sheets will be about 1/8 - 3/16" thick, so the bolster will probably no longer be flush with its surrounding surfaces. If the hook and loop doesn't work or you don't like the look, I think the solution is to acquire a new one.

Back