• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need some career advice - deciding between two job offers

Hi everyone,

I hate posting these types of questions, but I'm at a real quandary here. I received two job offers:

1. A smaller pharmaceutical company (publicly traded, revenue in the billions, but considered small in comparison to the industry giants). The position is located in Manhattan, which is convenient because I can easily commute to school where I will be taking a few evening classes (post-bac).

2. A large telecommunications company located in the suburbs. It's a shorter commute for me, but it will be all driving. Downside is that I will have to deal with traffic on my way to school.

The work is similar in both, although I will be required to travel a few times a year for the pharmaceutical company to attend national/regional conferences. Both positions are finance/accounting related. Since graduating college, I've worked for a large investment bank and a large insurance company. I'm not familiar with the ups/downs of working at a smaller company. From what I've been told, the position in the telecommunications company is within a newly created department.

Any suggestions? I only have about 2 years of experience under my belt, so whatever company I choose, I would like to stick with them for several years if possible.

Thank you.
-Brian.

I've worked for a Telco during the last 7 years and business is gradually getting dryier and more competitive. There is definitely less money around that it used to be and margings are shrinking everyday. If you plan to stay longer there you may take this into account...

What about your gut feeling about the two companies? And the colleagues? Did you meet them? That should also help you in the decision.

Based on the very limited information you've provided, I'd take the downtown pharma company. It's a smaller company, so you'll be exposed to a lot more stuff than you would be at a large telco -- stuff that's important to someone early in their career.

Do you have a wife/family? If not, you'll definitely enjoy the city lifestyle more than some drab 'burb. (Of course, once you get kids then the drab 'burb becomes much more enticing.) Also, without kids the travel time is party time, so that's a big plus, too.

Since you're relatively young, my suggestion would be to take the position in Manhattan, especially if you are unmarried with no kids.

The 'burbs will be there (and will be appealing) when you get older. Take the city job, if all other considerations are equitable.

take the small pharma in the city. Telco companies arent what they used to be. Furthering your education is important ie "investing in yourself " I am assuming you are single.

Back