• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need suggestions on performance mods

As a new member and a new owner of a 91 manual stock NSX (at least I will be in a few days), I wanted to get some input on performance mods. What is the best and cheapest way to shave off some time on your 0-60 acceleration, without destroying your resale value, without making it extremely loud, without potential damage to the reliability, and finally not dropping a lot of money? I want to start out small and work my way up. I thought that I could tap into this invaluable tool of expertise.

Nitrous is good but only when you are on the bottle. If you want performance all the time, look at doing the JDM short gears and 4.23 R&P. It is not cheap however, but it will make the car more fun to drive around town. Adding headers gives you roughly the same increase in speed, but you still get that annoying bog in the 1-2 shift.

Anyway you look at it, it is going to cost over $2,000.

Nitros may work well, but I won't be able to sell it with that installed. I want the all the time performance increase, but I am not looking at increasing horsepower by a lot and spending 1-2K plus doing it. I was talking about little mods like K&N filters, chips, intake, performance plugs, etc. Anything small that I can do to increase my HP by 15-20 and not drop a lot of cash? Please advise me of your experiences.

Jlindy:
Whenever you want ANY gain in HP with the NSX it WILL cost you close to a grand. K&N air filters might give you a 'couple' of HP but nothing noticeble. I've been reading that I/H/E (intake/headers/exhhaust) will give you probably 15-20 hp, but the cost will be close to 2k (headers alone are avg $1200-1600, the cheapest exhausts I've seen are DC Exhausts (for earlier model NSX's) for around $600 used. I haven't read anything positive about ECU chips, yet. SO I won't be wasting time on that item. Short gears are good too but that'll drop you around $1200 for the parts alone, then find the technician to install....

Super chargers are the way to go but that's dropping $6k. You may want to check out the forced induction and nitrous forum: http://www.nsxprime.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Forced+Induction+and+Nitrous&number=22&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=

If you wanted increase in HP for less money than you bought the wrong car- (there are hundreds of posts about this subject- Supras, RX7's, etc), because EVERYTHING for the NSX is expensive!

You should first just enjoy the car as it is then reconsider your priorities, whether it's for hp gains or for looks (suspension, rims, body kits, etc.)

But anyway, congratulations on your new prized baby! I still love mine and the only mod is the K&N filter ;-D (thanks Charles!)

my $.02

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

thanks for the input. I know I will be happy with what I already have, but a little extra punch doesn't hurt too. Let me know if anyone else has suggestions or general comments on what worked for them and how significant of a change it was once modified.

Biaggi hit it on the nose, in the NSX Money =speed . You get whay you pay for $100 for an intake gives you $100 worth of HP gains, headers and Exhaust = more money = more gains, supercharger/turbo Mo money, Mo gains you do the math

jlindy,

Are your interest street or track? If you want to go fast, do no mods to the car, just yourself, driving school! It is amazing how very few folks can get an NSX to it's potential. (including me, I'm not even close
smile.gif

If you want a little kick in the pants, though, you have gotten good advise. Nitrous, cost effective. Headers/Exhaust, nice, better sound, not as cost effective.

Turbo/Supercharger for the BIG kick in the pants, not sure 6K will actually do it though. I would say more like 7-8K by the time you are done, at best.

HTH,
LarryB

I will be using the vehilce strictly for street use and not he track. Driving school would be a blast. Any suggestions on techniques that help to drive the NSX to its potential?

And back to the previous statement, I am only looking for an extra 15-20 HP, shaving off .2 seconds off 0-60 time, so smaller/cheaper mods might help get me to my goal. While I would love the benefits of the supercharger, I can't justify the 7k bill.

first off, welcome to the forum!cost effective mods and NSX together is an oxymoron.anyway you slice it you will pay big money to mod the car.as far as needing to sell it after mod just save your parts and put the oem back on for sale time.you received good advice above about learning to drive the car as is to its potential.I would wait off on the mods until you have had her a while, you might find you dont want to mod ever.good luck and have fun with your new car.if you decide on a turbo I hear Larry B that posted above sells a great one and if you want a S/C Mark Basch sells a great one as for nos their are several good solutions out there. NSXALI sells a wet kit and there is a dry kit in the works.
best regards David

I own a 97 NSX-T and my first mod of significance were the Dali track sway bars. These made a major difference for my car but the T series of cars are heavier and this may not be as notable for you.
Guys with the early model please chime in and advise on this for your cars handling.
Also be sure you have a top line tire on your car. Many used NSX's have a cheap performance tire put on them prior to the sale.
Search out tires on the forum for more info.
These are cheaper and easier ways to get more out of your car with what is already built in by Honda. jmho DH

When all is said and done, THE LAW is still THE LAW: Cheap, fast, reliable- you can only have two. If it is fast and reliable, it's not cheap; if it is cheap and fast, it is not reliable; if it is cheap and reliable, it isn't fast.

maybe the operative word is "faster". I don't necessarily need to blow vipers off the line, but what is your opinion on the best way to gain 15-20 HP without breaking your pocketbook? Is H/I/E the best way to do this?

Originally posted by jlindy:
maybe the operative word is "faster". I don't necessarily need to blow vipers off the line, but what is your opinion on the best way to gain 15-20 HP without breaking your pocketbook? Is H/I/E the best way to do this?
I don't think you are listening. There is no way adding an air filter is going to help 0 to 60 times and that's about the cheapest mod you can make. HP claims by most aftermarket add ons are only in a peak area of the dyno scale unlike the overall HP claims made by manufacturers that cover the whole curve. Also don't fool with the plugs as anything but OEM can give you problems. If 0 to 60 is the ultimate, look at other cars. The NSX is respectable 0 to 60 when driven properly, but a Viper or ZO6 its not. This car shines as an all around car and it's built better then most. Enjoy it for what it is and if you want to change that, it will take big bucks. The only low cost mod (although not recommended by most) is to take out weight. Of course then you may give up comfort and safety. You can do a search on the forums to find out about weight savings. As others have recommended, enjoy the car as it is for a while before you begin to personalize it.

trade it in for a Z 06!
You will end up with more power and better handling!

ernest
98 NSX (I/H/E)
2002 Z 06 stock (and unfortunately much better than the NSX)

NSX=Needs Something eXpensive!!
biggrin.gif

(Thanks to Jason Weaver's girlfriend for that one!)

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
NSX=Needs Something eXpensive!!
biggrin.gif

(Thanks to Jason Weaver's girlfriend for that one!)

I heard it as : Needs Something eXtra

But I like yours too...Nancy agrees with both.

As a new member and a new owner of a 91 manual stock NSX (at least I will be in a few days), I wanted to get some input on performance mods. What is the best and cheapest way to shave off some time on your 0-60 acceleration, without destroying your resale value, without making it extremely loud, without potential damage to the reliability, and finally not dropping a lot of money? I want to start out small and work my way up. I thought that I could tap into this invaluable tool of expertise.

I just got mine too, I'am looking into performance, but man I tell you, it is FAST already. If I were you I would be working on suspension and maintanence.
If you really want performance, it's going to be costly, cause this is wat the NSX is all about.
Anyways I have a hunch that you are a female, am I correct?

Originally posted by Chuck:
I don't think you are listening...

He's listening, but not everyone is answering.

The problem with your expectations is that unlike your typical car, Acura has already done all the simple things that can produce more power, which is why in 1991 they were already producing 90hp/liter normally aspirated. That means cheap bolt on power is unlikely. As others have said, changes to the intake and filter will change how it sounds but not add HP, and don’t bother with plugs unless it doesn’t have the original spec NGKs.

Headers and exhaust are probably closest to your requirements, but they are by no means cheap. Depending on who you believe, together they may yield anywhere from 10-20 hp. If you’re really into chips, I’d look at the one Dali Racing offers. Combined with H/E it may improve top end power but possibly at the expense of the lower end. If you bide your time you can probably find good used parts and stay within your budget.

After that it’s gearing changes, which is has pros and cons and isn’t cheap. BTW, what wheels & tires do you have? If they are oversized (and overweight) F&F stuff you may be suffering from effectively taller gearing and/or a variety of other performance hits.

However, I would agree with BadCarma that you would be wise to live with your already very fine car for awhile before messing with it. I recommend getting OEM tires if you don't already have them and set the alignment to late model stock. Only then can you appreciate the incredible piece of engineering that is the NSX. (OEM tire are corner-specific and designed specifically for the car. They are responsible for the famous razor sharp steering never experienced by many used NSX buyers.)

And if a driving school sounds like fun, do it. It won’t improve 0-60 times but it will improve just about every other enjoyable element of owning the car. Meanwhile, we have a growing list of St. Louis area NSX owners that exchange email and get together from time to time, so private me if you would like to be included.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 14 November 2002).]

I will be using the vehicle strictly for street use and not the track.
Any suggestions on techniques that help to drive the NSX to its potential?

Can you say, oxymoron?

Take it to the track. You can't drive the NSX to its fullest potential on the street, nor should you try. Straight line blasts are fun, but the NSX is not the best in THAT area(now, 0-100-0 is another story).

jlindy, The best bet that fits what you want: 1/Aftermarket airfilters does hurt the engine without increasing HP so that is out. 2/ Exhaust makes the car louder and not necessarily faster (by itself) so thats out. 3/The chip adds a few HP for a few hundred dollars ; option #1. 4/Headers add the most HP (by itself) of all the previous options without making the car much louder.
Like some of the other replies states: "faster=money" and unfortunately, for an NSX it is a lot of money.
In my opinion, the cheapest and safest way to add the most power to the car would be the headers. They start at $1100.00+ if you install it yourself. You can also find used ones. I am not sure what headers by themself would net you but if I remember correctly I read a post of someone getting 12-14hp with them. I am not sure what headers does to the resale value of an NSX though. I do know that I would buy a car with headers/exhaust mods but not intake mods. As far as NOS I personally think that NOS does hurt an engine from experience with previous cars. I will not buy a NSX if I found out that the previous owner ran NOS.

everybody's already said it. just an additional thought. nothing of any real consequence can be done for less than 1500-2kgrand. even the headers arent going to get you too much hp per dollar spent. You might as well save up and get an sc if you really want an increase.

Back