• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need to purchase 4 post car lift - advice needed

HI,

I am located in southern california (mission viejo) and need to purhase a 4 post lift to use at my house.

can you please give me some recomendations?
a) what is the best 4 post lift
b) who should i purchase from to get the best pricing
c) how much should i expect to pay for shipping / installatoin

any other tips

this will be placed in the back of my garage in in a arrea that has a wall on one side and a walkway on the other, so having the flexibility where the hydrolics are located (so as to not sacrifice my walkway is not lost woudl be great.

thanks

We use "Rotary" brand at work. I've had them for 10 years now with zero issues. They are used constantly so one should last an individual a lifetime.

PM John (Anytime), he's a Bend-Pak rep. Very happy with mine

there are so many brands,

backyard buddy
rotary
bendpak
direct lift
revolution lift

I have a revolution lift. A few things you need to to know :

size: standard or XL, I got a XL , no overhang, the entire car is within the ramps, higher lift points, I can put a SUV on the bottom. make sure you enough ceiling clearance.

get the aluminum ramps, the steel ones are too heavy to handle.

when you store the car, make sure the cars rests on the mechanical lock points.

I could not install it myself so make sure the dealer can recommend a installer for you. I made sure the dealer received the lift and had him deliver and install my lift.

good luck, it was one my best home improvement projects. :biggrin:

HI,

I am located in southern california (mission viejo) and need to purhase a 4 post lift to use at my house.

Bendpak
I can beat any deal, even ASE
Depends on the lift you choose. Install is around 450, including delivery

any other tips

this will be placed in the back of my garage in in a arrea that has a wall on one side and a walkway on the other, so having the flexibility where the hydrolics are located (so as to not sacrifice my walkway is not lost woudl be great.

thanks

You will have no issue working with Anytime^^^:), Been there, done that, very happy. Excellent service and competitive pricing.
Regards,
LarryB

HI,

any other tips

thanks

I LOVE my Direct Lift

IMO clearly the best commercial lift is Mohawk.
http://www.mohawklifts.com/
If you see the others and then go look at a Mohawk you will see why. It is probably more than you'll need.

Bend Pak is the best value for the at home shop.

Last edited:
HI,

any other tips

thanks
Hello
Do you plan on using it daily or as a hobbyist. IMO, no need to spend $$ on a commercial grade lift if u are not using it daily. I have a 4 post no name lift where they claim it's made in the U.S.A. (at least it's assembled here)...been using it for 5 years w/o issue. Seems very well made. Me and 2 other guys assembled it ourselves. Many companies offer free shipping w/ their lifts. Some things to think about:

1) of course ceiling height
2) if u plan on storing cars on it, the height of both cars
3) The bigger 4 post lifts take up 2 bays in the garage...my 4 post takes up 1 bay so I can still park 2 cars in a 2 car garage. This was a BIG decision breaker for the 4 post vs. 2 post.
4) It is difficult to "free wheel" the car on a 4 post unless you use jack trays/rolling jacks. I ended up buying rolling jacks to do wheel/brake/suspension work. You can use oem jacks but not as safe and a pain in the rear.
5) My 4 post uses standard household current but it does need to be a dedicated circuit...20 amps. The 220V units require an electrician and hence more $$ to run but raise the car faster.
6) Oh, don't forget about garage door and opener clearance. I didn't need any modifications here. I shut the garage or close it partially when raising the car to work on.

A few other tidbits since we both live in so. cal. In earthquake country, I don't feel secure using the lift for storage. A 4 post doesn't need to be bolted to the foundation...mine isn't. I have post tension slabs (high tension cables in the foundation) so cannot drill into the foundation anyway. Regardless, it is stable when I raise the lift. Some advantages of the 4 post vs. 2 post is it's easy to drive on quickly and do an oil change, exhaust work, tranny fluids, etc.

Good luck.

Jeff

Last edited:
You will have no issue working with Anytime^^^:), Been there, done that, very happy. Excellent service and competitive pricing.
Regards,
LarryB

+1 on that recommendation.

Also, Bendpak is in your region so why not deal with them? John is a great guy, too! I got a 2-post lift from Bendpak and they are a quality outfit to work with. Excellent value and performance for home lift.

Back