• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need to talk to a professional installer - are you one??

Hey guys I need to talk to a professional installer, specifically one that works for a Viper authorized dealer.

I don't want to go into details, but I'm having some issues with a product and it doesn't make sense, and to get to their "tech" website you need to be a dealer. The documentation that came with the product is absolutely terrible (not all the wires in their harness are mentioned)

I'm hoping somebody can write back or PM me and maybe we can chat on AIM or I can call you.

Thanks

No, I'm not a Pro but can probably help you - PM with your questions & I can probably tell you where to pick up the signals you need on the NSX

I know how to work around the "hidden" location for the install guide for your Viper model so can find the correlation if necessary. I'm guessing a 791 though? (most popular current model)

If you really want a Pro, try

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/default.asp

- you may have to register. You'll find an alarm forum there and will be able to find an installer if required if you post on there for help.

Thanks guys..... I've sent PMs to both of you :)

This actually is a Viper unit going into my CRX. I don't want to get into what type of device it is (but I told you both in PMs). The real issue I'm having is this......

CRXs don't have power door locks. However, back in 1990 (yes, I'm the original owner) I installed an Alpine alarm along with power door locks. Everything still works perfectly even after all this time. My door lock relays which I installed are "negative" switching. OK with that said, this Viper device comes with what they call a "feature module" this module has outputs for ignition cut, alarm input (in my case I will use a lead from my siren), door unlock.

My issue is with the door unlock. The unit can be configured to provide either a negative or positive unlock "pulse". My system uses a negative pulse so I have configure the Viper accordingly. Here's the screwy part, I have taken the "blue" wire which is supposed to be for the unlock output and jumped it into my "unlock" trigger from my Alpine alarm. I actually didn't make the physical connection yet, right now I'm just touching the 2 wires together to test. When I do this, my doors instantly try to unlock!! I don't mean they pulse, I mean the vipers blue wire is a constant negative and it's pinning my lock actuators open. That's not right! it's supposed to pulse, and ONLY when I send the signal to the unit. Right now, it's a constant ground, I tested it and sure enough, the Vipers blue wire is acting as a ground circuit right now. It makes no sense.

This leads me to the mysterious "black" wire. Also coming out of the feature module is a black wire that is completely unmentioned in the instructions. For my test I assumed it was ground, so I attached it to the chassis. I think however, this is not ground and maybe I should just leave it unattached. I mean this is the only way the unit could possibly be creating a ground circuit since nothing else is hooked up yet. It's possible with this strange black wire attached to ground it is making the blue lock output wire is behave incorrectly and consequently t's grounding through the black wire. However, I find it really upsetting that this black wire is unmentioned completely.

I hope I didn't confuse you guys :)

Back