• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Neoprufrok's 1991 NSX Build

The wheels look good. Just wish there was better pics. I searched online and only found the pic you posted. Looking forward to seeing them on your car.

Yeah.. it was a little bit of a leap of faith. We will see what happens. Going wide body, but these wheels will still be used for track purposes.

Wheels and tires were mounted and installed yesterday evening. As a reminder the wheels/tires specs:

Front- 18x8" ET +35 with 245/35-18 Bridgestone S-04
Rear- 19x10" ET +38 with 295/30-19 Bridgestoen S-04

The ratio works out.. but is still pretty aggressive. These will be the "track" set. The car came with Comptech Sport springs and Koni shocks - which have adjustable perches so we raised the front up to be able to fit the front rims/tires in. Obviously the car won't drive with this without major camber and wider front fenders....

Which brings me to the next update: It's going down to LA for some major custom wide body work in time to be unveiled at SEMA.

Plan so far:

All coordinated by GT Auto Concepts in Redwood City

Nardo Gray Paint (except for cockpit which stays black)
Custom widebody (more DTM Euro style than JGTC) done by Vollkommen Designs which we will be making molds of and sell if it looks good. It will include front bumper, rear valence, sides.
Custom front splitter/side splitters/rear diffuser by Vollkommen
Seibon CF Vented Hood from Mark at Pride
APR rear wing (high mounts)
Downforce CF Side Intakes and Engine Vent (Rear) from Source1
Custom 18x9.5-10" Front and 19x12.5" Rear Three Piece wheels (Similar to HRE RS105 and Advan 5s) in Satin Black face with Gloss Black Barrels
Toyo R888 325/30-19 and 255/35-18 from Toyo Tires
KW V3 Suspension, Camber Kit, Bump Steer, Noncompliance Front (By Shad at Driving Ambition)
Pride V2 Exhaust with Test Pipes from Mark at Pride
Steering Wheel CF/Leather and Interior Trim in CF by Rick at Euroboutique
Status CF Seats with Custom Cushion/Inserts
Harness Bar from SOS

I hope it can be finished in time and works out.

Here's some pics of the new wheels/tires on the car...

That is some nice shiny wheels looking good.

:D

Yeah, if they weren't going to be more track oriented, I would repaint them satin black. A little too shiny black for my tastes, although it does look nice.

More things are starting to compile in the build... Euroboutique and Rick's awesome CF wheel installed. I love how wide the bottom is.

Sooo... it's been awhile, but I wanted to update the build thread. It took a huge turn... and I'm happy to say it's getting there.

First... many won't like what I've done. That's okay with me - diversity of opinions is what drives innovation and improvement. I'm one of those people that believes strongly in my goal, but also listens to any other thoughts as it may be something I didn't think of due to inexperience or lack of knowledge.

Second... I'm not a hardcore track guy (although I am buying a Spec Miata and I do track all my cars if I can). I'm not a hardcore showcar only guy either. I believe that all car enthusiasts generally fall into the distribution between the extremes - and that there is no wrong or right - just what each individual feels matches their personality and needs better.

Third... this has been a huge learning process. Understanding what it takes to design, build, and produce a bodykit has been invaluable... even if it's a hobby more than an actual job.

So.. I'll post a few pictures first and then I'll post my explanation and plan.

- - - Updated - - -

How did this come about? It's kind of funny. At every step, I asked, how can I solve this problem.. and at every step I took the more extreme solution.

Like others have noticed, tire selection in the 17/18 range is rather poor. But getting tires for 18/19 is better... but doing so while keeping tire diameter ratio correct is not easy. There was awhile that I felt I would need 245 fronts and 275-295 rears.. but that required some modification to work cleanly. During this time I was approached by Toyo Tires and my shop (GT Auto Concepts) about building a wide body NSX. They had seen my McLaren 12C build and liked it - so thought I had some sort of talent to put together a car that would look good.

I jumped at this opportunity... it was my chance to get a bigger, wider tire on and put together some things to make a great NSX. Then, I did a ton of research on available wide body options. I was even shown a early render of the Rocket Bunny concept but I didn't embrace the short tail mod which would require cutting the frame. I couldn't find a wide body I liked. Most had aesthetics that lost almost all of the lines and proportions. All I wanted was flared fenders for more tire and a racy look.

Then I saw this pic:

- - - Updated - - -

Once I saw that pic... I knew I how I wanted to design the wide body. So after some basic sketches, the builder and myself started embarking on this project. The goal was to build a great looking kit while preserving functionality for track/performance purposes.

Being that I'm a perfectionist... these are the goals I stated to my builder for the kit:

1) Will be FRP
2) No fender overs - I don't want any NSX owner to need to cut their car. I want it to be replacing panels so that they may return their car to stock in the future if they want to sell for higher value.
3) Needs to fit perfect - and needs to be relatively easy to install. That being said, all body kits need some massaging. I know, I have a Vorsteiner kit for my McLaren 12C and even though it was advertised as a perfect fit - it wasn't. Required an extra day in the shop to get right.
4) Complete kit - will include rear quarters, front fenders, front lower bumper, rocker panels, rear diffuser, side splitters, front splitter and custom designed rear wing.

High goals, I admit. But I don't want to half ass this kit. it needs to be great for me first and then I hope for whomever will buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

The above SEMA pics show an 80% completed build. Doing a complete custom wide body kit especially considering that I delivered the car to the builder with only 2 months to SEMA is tough. They did the best they could but theres' so much more that needs to be done:

1) The front lower bumper will be more aggressive, but keep the OEM style. Think ADVANCE front lower bumper. It will also have a splitter.
2) The side splitters will extend along the bottom of the rocker - but with a twist that will be revealed at its finish.
3) The rear diffuser is going to be more like the red car above - wider and more functional.
4) The wing... that's still something I'm deciding on. Let's just say it will be unique and different than anything we've done, but likely Biplane and functional.
5) Fit and finish needs to be tightened up. This was a rush build to get it out for Toyo and SEMA... but we will be taking our time to get everything perfect.
6) The front flares will be brought in by about 3/4". It's a little to wide now.

The current interior is as follows:

Status Fixed Bucket Racing Seats
Comptech Harness Bar
Titanium Dave Anti-Sub Bar
Schroth 6 Point Harness
Euroboutique CF trim pieces all around
Euroboutique CF/Leather custom steering wheel

Mechanicals (To be done by Shad at Driving Ambition)
Standalone Fuel Management to allow increased boost to 9psi
Bump steer kit
Camber kit

In conclusion, this is a huge build. But I'm so very excited to get it done. Again, everyone has their own thoughts.. but I think the learning from this build has been invaluable. I'm a perfectionist, so this won't get released till I think it's perfect.

Thanks for all the kind words from many members on the FB page - it balances out a lot of the negative things I've already heard... the biggest one being I am destroying a beautiful car. Trust me, I have the utmost respect for the NSX and I studied it's design history and tried hard to keep as much of the lines as possible.

I've seen this thread but had no idea it was you based on your latest shots.I almost purchased the same wheels you had before widebody but wasn't sure of them.I think 5stars and mesh wheels always reserve the exoticness of the NSX. Nice wheel choice.You think like me but on steroids. I look 4wrd2 your progress.

I've seen this thread but had no idea it was you based on your latest shots.I almost purchased the same wheels you had before widebody but wasn't sure of them.I think 5stars and mesh wheels always reserve the exoticness of the NSX. Nice wheel choice.You think like me but on steroids. I look 4wrd2 your progress.

LOL.. Yeah.. I was deciding between 2.5" wider in the rear and 3.0"... I went 3.5".

Another shot from SEMA:

Stancenation.com used my car as the lead photo for their SEMA coverage which is pretty cool and included some other nice shots in the article. I so wish it was 100% done, but good to see someone likes my design for the kit.

I am interested to see what your plans are for the front splitter to tie in the front wide fenders and the stock front bumper.

I am interested to see what your plans are for the front splitter to tie in the front wide fenders and the stock front bumper.

Yeah I lab to bring in the front fenders a little. The bottom chin will be more forward and there will be a splitter. Renders are coming soon.

I have no idea... they go by Belladonna. Japanese tuner company.

well they probably don't have any abdominal cramps or seizures....that's for sure.

so, let me get this straight.... you're super excited about your NSX, and your $231,400 twin-turbo-V8-616bhp McLaren 12C is just kinda hangin around your garage for the occasional ride or two?....... DocJohn, give me some of that atropine.... (I'm the few that got it)

Last edited:
lol........:biggrin:

Back