• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Netflix instant viewing with multi-channel sound via PS3

I did a quick search both on Prime and on the interwebs, but I couldn't seem to find any info that helps me on the following problem.

It's my understanding that Netflix includes multichannel sound on movies streamed from the Instant Queue. However, I'm not having any success getting that to work on my home theater setup. My PS3 appears to be connected properly, since I am able to get multichannel sound when playing a DVD and a Blu-Ray through it. Additionally, when the Netflix app is started on the PS3, the multichannel sound indicator on my receiver displays initially, then turns off. I've tried several different movies with no success. Is there some additional step that I'm missing?

I read somewhere about the fact that Netflix say they have multichannel sound for their streams, but the reality is like 5% of their streams actually have it. I tested it out, and it seems to be true that most of their streams do not do multichannel, but I would love to find that link...

The streams have to support 5.1 audio before you'll get it...and I do remember it being a small percentage of the content. When streams supported it, it just worked (didn't have to do anything special with my setup).

I have not had subscribed to Netflix much since their price hike and haven't really missed them (we subscribed to HBO to watch season two of Game of Thrones and Valerie has been consuming every show she can on her iPad via HBO Go while we still are subscribing). The last time we went on Netflix, they hadn't really added any content, seemingly taking forever to add movies released on Blu-ray...and they were dropping shows I had considered streaming.

I just read on another forum that, at some point, Netflix switched everyone's default streaming settings to SD to appease ISPs...are you seeing HD content in HD?

Check your account settings. If HD streaming is off, try turning it on and restart Netflix...apparently 5.1 sound is also tied to this setting.

I found a setting on the website that allowed me to change video quality, but nothing that shows what I was currently set at. In any case, I set it to best quality, and no change in sound as far as I can tell.

Is there an equivalent setting available on the PS3 app side?

And I guess I'll need to do a search on what Netflix content is streamed with multi-channel audio. Sounds like not much.

EDIT: Did a bit of searching in my instant queue and noticed a few films with a "5.1" icon (along with an "HD" icon). Tried some films and was able to confirm multi-channel playback. Just like akira3D and Caustic mentioned, it's only a fraction of the content, and seemingly no pattern as to what gets 5.1 on top of that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help, guys!! :)

Last edited:
for source that has it, select "audio options" and you can usually select whether or not it's enabled. I believe it's usually enabled by default, though

Back