• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Network cabling question

Quick RJ45 / Network cable question...

I have ethernet between my home media center and a remote TV set top box.

The ethernet cable has never worked right and I don't want to completely replace it if I don't have to.

I purchased a tester for RJ45 and it isolated that wire 3/4 were broken. I recrimped 2 new ends and it looks like the exact same error.

Question is - do I need all 4 twisted pair for a "normal" 10/100 ethernet connection? The remote set top box goes into a switch/wireless G router.

I seem to recall I only need 3 pairs? Also - if I do only need 3 pairs, does it use 1-6 (numbered from left to right with the "tab" part pointing up)? A different set?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

wires 4,5 and 7,8 are the wires required to run 100mb lan's. Usually Blue and blue/white, and brown and brown\white

Look at the end of the connector with the tab down. wire 1 is on the right, wire 8 is on the left. Flat side up, connector pointing away, the wires are 1-8 from left to right.

Also, one more thing.. Make sure you replace a twisted pair, with another pair.. don't use non-paired wires as a pair. It will cause weird performance problems.

Good luck.

p.s. If you ever want to run gigabit, you'll have to run new wiring. That requires all 4 pairs.

Last edited:
Bah....suck it up and buy some new cabling. Why go through all the fuss? But that's me. Just take the easy way out.

I may have the schematic for the cabling around somewhere. I'll check when I get home unless someone else beats me to the punch. But I would agree with what sykikchimp has said above.

Good luck!!

sykikchimp said:
wires 4,5 and 7,8 are the wires required to run 100mb lan's. Usually Blue and blue/white, and brown and brown\white

Look at the end of the connector with the tab down. wire 1 is on the right, wire 8 is on the left. Flat side up, connector pointing away, the wires are 1-8 from left to right.

Also, one more thing.. Make sure you replace a twisted pair, with another pair.. don't use non-paired wires as a pair. It will cause weird performance problems.

Good luck.

p.s. If you ever want to run gigabit, you'll have to run new wiring. That requires all 4 pairs.

Exactly the information I needed - thank you so much

ccns23 said:
Bah....suck it up and buy some new cabling. Why go through all the fuss? But that's me. Just take the easy way out.

I agree. Assuming the cabling is not in the wall, why not just get a new cable? It'd be a lot easier than trying to figure out pinouts, and cables aren't that expensive. They even come in lots of pretty colors so you can get one that matches your decor.

Back