• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Never give Visa Giftcards

these cards are a pain in the ass. You need to buy with the exact value of your card or under. If you go over the value of the card retailler will reject the card.

I have another Visa giftcard thats charges $2 a month for (end of month batch fee) it is stupid. :mad:

Just get regular gift card to your favorite store and restaurant.

Cash is king.

I hate logging online just to see how many pennies are left on these damn giftcards....and some places won't charge you for just the amount that is left. Great, so they get to keep your money, brilliant.

Annoying.

I agree, I received one from Verizon for a rebate on my phone. I used it a few times for small purchases. I had to call and get the balance so I could use it up. I had $7.22 left. So I went to El Pollo Loco for lunch and the total was $8.22 so I gave the cashier $1 and the visa card. It was ironic how I was able to use it to the very last penny.

That is why they like to sell these, people usually leave small amounts unused.

So I went to El Pollo Loco for lunch and the total was $8.22 so I gave the cashier $1 and the visa card.

Has El Pollo Loco recently updated their look?

Connecticut passed a law a few years ago. ( one of the few good new laws )
That any gift card sold in Connecticut has no expiration date , no fees or typical rip-off clauses to take your money.

Slightly off topic , but I was amazed that a couple of years ago when traveling I found out that some businesses will not take an American Express traveler's check due to counterfeiting.

Cash is king. and it leaves no evidence or paper trail.

From my experiences, the easiest way to use these types of gift cards is to use them at gas stations for set amounts (i.e. exactly $40) and then write down how much you have left on the card. Otherwise, you start running into the problems the OP mentioned.

Rather than fiddle with their managing their balance, and dealing with their expiration date :mad:, I just dump all the amount onto a gift card for a store that I know I'll frequent (i.e. Best Buy, Costco, etc.).

Of course it will reject if you try to overcharge it. The best thing to do is use it for a fixed value. i.e., if you have a $50 gift card and you're buying something for $83 - tell the cashier to charge $50 to your VISA Gift Card and through it away, and pay the remaining balance.

This is how the smaller retailers make large profits, like Starbucks. People give $10-$20 gift cards and friends either use them and leave a buck or so on it and throw it out. Well, if thousands of people leave a balance of $1 - well, you get the drift. Even more profit if the dummy looses the gift card before they even use it.

Well, if thousands of people leave a balance of $1 - well, you get the drift. Even more profit if the dummy looses the gift card before they even use it.
Or if the company goes bankrupt and hundreds of dollars on a single gift card are nullified, a la Sharper Image and probably some other examples.

Ask your bank if they will allow you to deposit it. This is the way I used to get rid of any leftover American Express travelers checks.
Good info, thanks. Also I'm sure they'll charge me $3 to talk to a teller. :rolleyes:

Back