• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New 9th gen Accord - disappointing

Now that the specs and press pics are out as of today, is anyone going to follow up with this discussion?

I personally like the design. I don't understand what the hangups are. Since when was the Accord ever a flashy car? It's always been a good, safe, reliable choice. It's never been a head turner. I think the specs are good too. There is technology on this new Accord that isn't even on the Acura side. It makes me hopeful for the new MDX and TL when they are redesigned.

I'm not going to waste any more time debating this. Aesthetics is a very personal thing, and not everyone is going to agree what looks good, so just let it go.

Atleast the engineering is still there:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1078936_2013-honda-accord-at-34-mpg-would-you-rather-have-a-v-6

pretty good for a 280 hp 3.5 V6 among the sea of turbo fours.

I like the specs. Might have missed it but I didn't see much information on the rest of the drive train. The 180/180 for the 4 cylinder is good and probably sufficient for most people. The 280hp v6 pulling 34 on the highway would be a great option for those that spend a lot of time on the highway. I wish these guys could get the city mileage up; accords are DD's and they spend most of their time in the city.

I think the 4 banner is with 13.x:1 compression ratio, pertty amazing stuff.

Should have went w/ this sleek design.
5044b5ddb721428266000003.jpg

5044b5ddb721428266000011.jpg

And now we have this monstrosity.

1.jpg

The front logo looks like it came off a pro-wrestlers title belt.

-J

And now we have this monstrosity.

1.jpg

The front logo looks like it came off a pro-wrestlers title belt.

-J

What is THAT?!! is that the crosstour? Please tell me this is just a bad photo.

What is THAT?!! is that the crosstour? Please tell me this is just a bad photo.

I wonder why they changed the front end of the plug in hybrid? Why can't it have the same front end as the regular sedan? If it looked the same as the gasoline version, that car would be the first hybrid I would ever consider buying.

I wonder why they changed the front end of the plug in hybrid? Why can't it have the same front end as the regular sedan? If it looked the same as the gasoline version, that car would be the first hybrid I would ever consider buying.

Because how else will people know you are "saving the planet"? :smile:

Because how else will people know you are "saving the planet"? :smile:

You put a bumper sticker on the back that says, "You just got passed by a Prius" :smile:

Product differentiation. Every self-avowed environmentalist wants everyone to know that they're doing their part. I'm sure there's some sales probability distribution model done by the marketing dept validating a product differentiation business model.

I don't think it's make or break though. Styling on PHEVs still lags function in the marketplace. It's just reinforcing the buyer's baseline motive.

Product differentiation. Every self-avowed environmentalist wants everyone to know that they're doing their part. I'm sure there's some sales probability distribution model done by the marketing dept validating a product differentiation business model.

I don't think it's make or break though. Styling on PHEVs still lags function in the marketplace. It's just reinforcing the buyer's baseline motive.

I long for the day when you can't tell the difference between a gas version or hybrid just by looking at them from the outside.

I long for the day when you can't tell the difference between a gas version or hybrid just by looking at them from the outside.

Then you are longing for a day when individuals no longer want to be individual. It's an essential part of human nature. Sales and marketing recognizes and caters to this concept. By and large, the engineering enthusiast is a little farther down the totem pole.

IMHO, the bigger issue is Honda's use of MacPherson strut suspension instead of double wishbone. I'm hoping they've refined it to a much higher level b/c the Accord is the foundational chassis for quite a few upcoming models. Guess we'll have to wait for vtec.net's driving impressions on 9.10.12..

Last edited:
Then you are longing for a day when individuals no longer want to be individual. It's an essential part of human nature. Sales and marketing recognizes and caters to this concept. By and large, the engineering enthusiast is a little farther down the totem pole.

IMHO, the bigger issue is Honda's use of MacPherson strut suspension instead of double wishbone. I'm hoping they've refined it to a much higher level b/c the Accord is the foundational chassis for quite a few upcoming models. Guess we'll have to wait for vtec.net's driving impressions on 9.10.12..

Interesting. I like Elon Musk's take on this issue. He basically said that his goal was to produce the best car period. Best performance, best styling, etc. I really like the way his new cars look and by all accounts the performance and drivability is outstanding. Form follows function.

-J

I am glad they got rid of that "line through the middle" car design, but the NSX 2.0 still have that...

Let's ask Honda to put one of this in the future Accord.

423665_432748820095893_1078323605_n.jpg

I've read multiple reviews on several different sites in the last few days and they all seem to be pretty good. I think they did a great job on this car! There are features that even Acura doesn't offer yet.

Sat in the Accord Sport and ExL today...both were sedans. (Coupes in 1 more month.) Very nice job . The leather is much better, the instrument panel is much cleaner with less buttons, and lots of new features. Now the 4 cylinders are CVT....I didn't drive it so I can't speak about that yet. But so far so good.

So I've read that Honda has been producing 6k new Accords a week from the Marysville plant since Aug. 20th with output per week rising since then. And although they aren't going into a marketing budget burning ad campaign like Toyota did for the Camry (175 million), they are spending more ad dollars on this car than they ever have for previous launches.

Back