• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New evaporator

Has Honda ever done a new run of NSX evaporators or they still selling the nearly 20 year old parts? I want to replace the evaporator in my 1992 NSX but I don't want to put in a part that is approaching 20 years old and which has known issues.

I have heard the stock evaps have a design flaw that causes most of the leaks. Maybe you can take it to a radiator/AC shop and have them fabricate a more robust unit for you?

What design flaw? I thought that only a range of them on the early cars have been prone to be defective in the long run.

I did a search here a while back and found a few threads that suggested the way the evap is designed causes it to rub the housing the wrong way and leak. There was someone who had a leaky one, replaced it with a new OEM, and the thing started leaking again within a short time. His recommendation was that, considering the time/cost to replace the evap, you are better off going to a reputable AC/radiator shop and having them build you a unit that addresses the design flaw.

My '96 AC was last checked/recharged in 2001. I checked the charge level again this year and the pressure was right on spec. So, they built at least one evaporator since 1996 that didn't leak in 8 years and 27 kmi.

Anyone know what years had the flaw? If its a problem of rubbing against something, can that "something" or the evaporator be padded/reinforced to eliminate the problem?

I just replace my evaporator recently, it was not leaking but has blockage due to compressor went bad and sending all the dirty particles into the evaporator.

My A/C now is working great. I don't think it has any design flaw at all.

Without digging in to the parts database, I'm sure there was at least one part change with the federal mandate for cars to use R-134a in the AC system instead of the previous R-12. This was a requirement on all cars in the US by the 1994 model year, though some manufacturers made the change as early as the 1992 MY. R-134a is less efficient than R-12, and needs more condenser/evaporator area. IIRC leaks are more common in early NSX models.

My R12 is still working flawlessly {knocking on wood}. I've added 1 can in the almost 3 years of ownership. If it fails I will stay with R12.:wink:

What design flaw? I thought that only a range of them on the early cars have been prone to be defective in the long run.

I tried to re-create my search to find out, but can't find the thread. I think it had something to do with the way the pipe is routed around the unit. The pipe contacts the housing and as it jostles during driving, it rubs and eventually leaks.

Back