• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Member, looking for some advice

Hello all,

I just bought my 94 NSX with 33k miles on her. It's running fine, but I noticed when it's cold... it idles kind of rough. I am bringing the car to the shop tomorrow for a 60k tune up. The mechanic described the tune up for me, and it sounded like a pretty extensive tune up. The tune up covers valve adjustment, coolant system flush, brake flush, spark plugs replacements, air filter replacement and others which I can not remember; the price is $800.00. Any advice on this tune up will be greatly appreciated.

Max Pham

First, I would drop the car off the night before, so that they can start and run the car first thing in the morning when it's cold, and evaluate it for themselves.

Also, is this a mechanic who does a lot of NSX service work? I would not have a major service like this done by a mechanic who does not have a lot of NSX experience, who has learned all the "tricks" of working on the NSX and become familiar with its common problems.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 February 2003).]

Max,
welcome aboard...i am in GG as well. come out with us for a drive on the 16th...check out southern cali thread. your tune up sounds decent...but make sure the mechanic is qualified to do nsx. otherwise, frustration will start.
biggrin.gif

calvin

Originally posted by Xcite50:
Hello all,

I just bought my 94 NSX with 33k miles on her. It's running fine, but I noticed when it's cold... it idles kind of rough. I am bringing the car to the shop tomorrow for a 60k tune up. The mechanic described the tune up for me, and it sounded like a pretty extensive tune up. The tune up covers valve adjustment, coolant system flush, brake flush, spark plugs replacements, air filter replacement and others which I can not remember; the price is $800.00. Any advice on this tune up will be greatly appreciated.

Max Pham

Max,

One thing to keep in mind when doing your 60K mile service is catching up on all the other things that may not have been done by the previous owner(s).

I am talking specifically about the replacement of the timing belt which almost always incorporates the water pump, as the labor necessary for the belt will usually cover the replacement of the pump. The miantenance schedule calls for 90K miles or 72 months for the 94. This has most likely not been done and you should certainly take care of it along with your 60K service. A timing belt that goes, and it certainly can when you run an engine to 8000 RPM as the NSX will cause you to do on a regualr basis, could take out the whole engine, not a pretty site!

Don't listen to anyone who tells you this is not necessary since your car only has 33K miles! Time, the ozone and the elements has certianly taken it's toll on your timing belt! It's the old story pay me now or pay me later, this is not a place to skimp.

Ken (nsxtasy) I was certainly expecting to see you reference this in your post.

If you need a reference for a good factory trained Acura mechanic here in OC who also drives an NSX as his daily driver send either Yellowpad or myself a private message.

Hope we see you on the next Ortega run currently scheduled for the 16th of March.

Paul

------------------
97 NSX-T Black/Tan
00 Mercedes 430CLK (Cab)
93 Cadillac Allante (Northstar) - For Sale
98 GMC Sierra
00 HD Dyna WideGlide
83 Cessna 303 (Crusader)

[This message has been edited by Paul65K (edited 23 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Paul65K:
Ken (nsxtasy) I was certainly expecting to see you reference this in your post.

Sorry.
redface.gif

Max, Paul is right. It's a good time to do the timing belt and water pump.

You also might want to consider replacing the cooling system hoses; even though they're not specified by Honda in the maintenance schedule, it's a good preventive measure.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 February 2003).]

Back