• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Member looking to buy NSX

Hey guys.

I recently decided that I want to buy an NSX for my next "financed" car.

I have been researching them a bit but I have a few questions that I couldnt really find answers too.

My biggest question is really, pretty simple but I just want to ask it...

How is there early 90's NSX for sale with prices of mid 30's to low 40's ? Yet I've seen a few 2000 and similar aged NSX's with lower mileage for under 30 thousand dollars?

For example:

2000 NSX for 20,000 dollars...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rs=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=782

But there is a 92 NSX here for 29 grand

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...s=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=1468

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...s=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=2446

I know, its older, with less mileage , being a collectible, but is that really the case? Or is something truly not right about the 2000 NSX for sale?

My price range for an NSX is 25-35k around this fall to early winter, is that price not good enough ? As far as what year I'm looking for , im not exactly, I would prefer something 96 + But I know it might be hard to find a good one, or is it ?

Sorry for the fact I sound like an idiot. If you could lend any help this way, would be great, thank you !

got to weed through the fake scam ads and trashed vehicles for sale....
Hey guys.

I recently decided that I want to buy an NSX for my next "financed" car.

I have been researching them a bit but I have a few questions that I couldnt really find answers too.

My biggest question is really, pretty simple but I just want to ask it...

How is there early 90's NSX for sale with prices of mid 30's to low 40's ? Yet I've seen a few 2000 and similar aged NSX's with lower mileage for under 30 thousand dollars?

For example:

2000 NSX for 20,000 dollars...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rs=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=782

But there is a 92 NSX here for 29 grand

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...s=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=1468

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...s=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=2446

I know, its older, with less mileage , being a collectible, but is that really the case? Or is something truly not right about the 2000 NSX for sale?

My price range for an NSX is 25-35k around this fall to early winter, is that price not good enough ? As far as what year I'm looking for , im not exactly, I would prefer something 96 + But I know it might be hard to find a good one, or is it ?

Sorry for the fact I sound like an idiot. If you could lend any help this way, would be great, thank you !

Ok so that car for 20k is def not happening then ? I thought so but wasnt sure.

What do you think I should look for as far as model year, mileage thats within my budget ? of 35k or less ?

you need patience. dont rush into buying a nsx, until "the one" comes your way

i waited months and months and months, my patience almost ran out, then i scored my spa yellow for an awesome deal

you need patience. dont rush into buying a nsx, until "the one" comes your way

i waited months and months and months, my patience almost ran out, then i scored my spa yellow for an awesome deal

i waited years...not such an awesome deal, but got a bitchin nsx:)

Oh yes, dont worry, I dont plan to get into any deals yet until the fall or early winter..

I just want to gather information right now, and kind of get an idea of what I can be looking forward to as far as mileage/year/price and if my budget was even good enough, but I think it is ?

I wanted to also find out, this whole snap ring issue ? what is that all about ?

And by the way, I realize this is totally in the wrong forum section.

Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to the site and GL with your search. I would first check out the wiki page to answer some of your questions regarding the "snap ring" issues, pricing, etc. Link here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are QUITE a bit of scams online, anytime I see an NSX for LESS then 30k, then I am very cautious.... certainly anything in the 20's!
For your price range, I believe you can find something good in the 30-35k range, and more then likely a 91-95. Higher 20's is possible if someone is really needing to dump their NSX, but usually they are not in the best condition, and/or high miles, and/or service needs.

Oh yes, dont worry, I dont plan to get into any deals yet until the fall or early winter..

I just want to gather information right now, and kind of get an idea of what I can be looking forward to as far as mileage/year/price and if my budget was even good enough, but I think it is ?

I wanted to also find out, this whole snap ring issue ? what is that all about ?

And by the way, I realize this is totally in the wrong forum section.

Sorry about that.

Thank you ! for providing the link and information. That was what I was looking for.

I will be in touch, and check out the WIKI about the snap ring thing.

I'm starting to feel better about the higher mileage NSX to be honest.

Thank you ! for providing the link and information. That was what I was looking for.

I will be in touch, and check out the WIKI about the snap ring thing.

I'm starting to feel better about the higher mileage NSX to be honest.

no reason not to...I may be the wrong person to say that,:biggrin: but again high mileage nsx should be no issue..

Hello all,

I just got a serious bug to look for a earlier NSX myself. Just doing some info searching and reading by joining this site while keeping my eyes out for a NSX in the $30K range. I always thought the NSX was the epithamy of Japanese Sports cars, and now I can finally afford to own one to play around with! I cant wait to find the right one!

Cheers!
Will

Hey guys.
I just picked mine up this past weekend in Flordia and drove it all the way back to San Antonio Texas. I just cant say enough great things about it. I have fallen completly in love and cant stop smiling! The NSX is the greatest car ever built!!!

Welcome to both of you Singh and willfong.

Singh, you saw the ad for the car I bought and know how much I paid and the kind of maintenance it had just undergone. I would say most everything under 25K tends to be not worth your while, so your range of 25K to 35K is good.

You should be able to score a nice early NA1 for low 30's or possibly even high 20's with under 100K miles ( mine was 76K and the new one will be 66K ). For 35K, I'd say even the 95-T's are within reach.

Make sure to factor in tax! Mine will be over $2000 when it's all said and done ( :mad: Tennessee )

That's a long drive! What did you get?

Hey guys.
I just picked mine up this past weekend in Flordia and drove it all the way back to San Antonio Texas. I just cant say enough great things about it. I have fallen completly in love and cant stop smiling! The NSX is the greatest car ever built!!!

Welcome to Prime....Singh and willfong.
You should read and absorb as much info of the nsx as you can so you can form you own opinion and this will help you to make an informed/educated decision according to your preference for a stock or a modified one. There are lots of good info in FAQ.

Learn about the vendors and how much the mods will cost if you should decide later. The oem parts and the aftermarket parts for this car are costly so if its important to you modding your car, its also important to know the car you are gonna buy what kind of mod it has.

A good rule of thumb, if the owner has detail records of the car, that is a good sign meaning the car has been taken care of thus the mileage matters less.

Take your time to learn as there are many NA1 and NA2 out there and some are stock, some are heavily riced and some have more serious mods....you should know what you want....the right one will come around.

You don;t have to take 4yrs like me:eek: to find the right one but once I feel like I know whats going on in terms of the pricing, existing mods, body condition, cost of various mods I want, etc. you will know when you see the right deal.

everyone is different with their cars....I am 'buy to keep' kinda guy so I am willing to wait for the right one and I don't regret the long wait. many people here are willing to help and offer advise so keep the questions coming. You have to weed out the differences as its only personal opinion here. When you know what you want, you will start asking the right questions and figure out who is blowing smoke and who is not.

Hey guys. I figured I would jump in here. My name is Chris and I am brand new to the forum. I am poking around for NSX information because I am considering picking one up down the line. I've always loved the NSX and as an import car lover I think that it is in the top 3 that Japan has ever produced (Skyline, Supra, NSX).

My business is growing and I have set the goal for myself to next year pick up a new car. Right now I drive a 1991 Toyota Supra with a 1jz-gte twin turbo motor swap. It's a project and little things keep going wrong, but I enjoy the power and the look, besides, no payment. :smile:

Picture010edited.jpg

This site has a lot of good information when it comes to finding an NSX, however I did have a few questions.

1. I have seen a few cars with the black top and a different colored body. Does that denote a certain trim level, or does it emulate a JDM model?

2. I read on 6speedonline from a former NSX owner that compared to other, more modern cars, the handling is compromised due to a lack of traction control. Can someone elaborate on this a bit?

Thank you.

--

Chris Dickens

Last edited:
Hey guys. I figured I would jump in here. My name is Chris and I am brand new to the forum. I am poking around for NSX information because I am considering picking one up down the line. I've always loved the NSX and as an import car lover I think that it is in the top 3 that Japan has ever produced (Skyline, Supra, NSX).

My business is growing and I have set the goal for myself to next year pick up a new car. Right now I drive a 1991 Toyota Supra with a 1jz-gte twin turbo motor swap. It's a project and little things keep going wrong, but I enjoy the power and the look, besides, no payment. :smile:

Picture009edited.jpg

This site has a lot of good information when it comes to finding an NSX, however I did have a few questions.

1. I have seen a few cars with the black top and a different colored body. Does that denote a certain trim level, or does it emulate a JDM model?

2. I read on 6speedonline from a former NSX owner that compared to other, more modern cars, the handling is compromised due to a lack of traction control. Can someone elaborate on this a bit?

Thank you.

--

Chris Dickens

Welcome Chris,

1. The black top was found on all USDM 91-94 NSX's. In Japan ( the Wiki should have this if I am not correct ), the black top was standard on all NSX's regardless of year and the colored matched roof was actually an option.
Honda wanted to evoke the image of an F16 fighter with the black roof over another color body.

2. I haven't had much experience with this myself, but I'd say that the TCS system is older and less intrusive. The difference you would probably feel is during on-throttle conditions and traction coming from a corner as TCS only deals with power-on situations. Having said this, it shouldn't affect early corner turn-in or mid-corner grip and most of its handling. Apparently, the NSX TCS will activate before it senses a loss of traction so some owners may never feel it come on. There is a switch which deactivates the TCS, but I would recommend against it.
I hear the Porsche's and such nearly kill all power delivery when TCS activates but I cannot confirm. I would think this would be dangerous, especially in mid-corner for a 911.

I can only reiterate what most members have already said on here.

Take your time and find a good example. NSX Prime is one of your best bets to find a well maintained car in your price range. Everyone on here is helpful and are even willing to check the car out for you if located in a different area.

You shouldn't have an issue with higher mileage cars if all the paper work and FSH are provided.

From what I have seen on here, there are tons of scams for the NSX, so be careful. Stick around here and you shouldn't have a problem!

Is that a Do-Luck kit on the Supra?

Welcome prospective owners!

The black top was standard on all US market NSXs from 1991-1994. Additionally, all 1991-1994 NSXs were coupes. Coinciding with the release of the NSX-T (Targa) in 1995, Honda switched to colored tops to match the body. Coupes manufactured from 1995 and up (there were only a few because the Targa was so popular) continued to have the black top. Generally speaking, if you see a two-tone NSX, it designates that it is probably an older (1991-1994) NSX, or in an extremely rare case a later model coupe. Of course, a few owners have had their tops painted either body color or black to suit their own taste. To each his own. Although I drive an all-black car, I personally admire the two-tone look in the "other than black" cars. The black top cars definitely have a more "vintage" look.

I have never owned a more modern car than my 1994, so I personally don't have anything more modern to compare it to, but I am inclined to think that the guy on 6speedonline wasn't ever an owner and was just blowing smoke. I can say with authority that there is absolutely no way the handling could ever possibly remotely be described as compromised - it may be the best handling car ever built, and is extremely well-balanced. The structural rigidity is also just tremendous - it is said that if you put an NSX up on a lift that isn't level, that you can rock the car by lifting a corner because it is so rigid and balanced. Also, all NSXs are equipped with traction control. In the one instance worth mentioning that I set off the TCS (traction control system), which was an accelerating situation when I encountered sand/gravel on the road, the TCS cut in instantly (I mean like lightning fast) and retarded the throttle to keep the car going in a straight line. ie, the TCS performed as intended. Some people seem to think that they could outdrive the TCS, but there is no possible way - the "computer" will outdrive you every time. The "computer" knows precisely the operating parameters of the car, and won't bother you as long as you operate inside the envelope. When you step outside the envelope, it intervenes swiftly to get things back inside the envelope. Although you can shut off the TCS via a button below the center gauge cluster, shutting it off isn't recommended. The NSX has it's shortcomings (being a little light in the horsepower department is one) and I will own up to deserved criticisms where warranted, but handling definitely is not an NSX shortcoming.

I have seen a few implications in these forums lately that somehow the car is unstable in the rain. In the five and a half years I have owned my daily driver, I have had zero problems in the rain - it is perfectly stable in the rain, I think even more stable than most cars. And I have driven my car quite a bit in the rain. I think this is more of a case of people blaming the car for their own poor driving skills.

The NSX isn't meant to be driven in the snow or icing conditions, and I highly don't recommend it, but I have been caught out in it before.

Last edited:
My words of wisdom... be very, very careful... if it sounds too good to be true it problaby is....

From personal experience looking for an NSX ... they appear to be highly desireable for scam artist to rip people off... a 2000 NSX for under $30K, is too good to be true... (I would guess).

I ran across quite a few either on eBay, AutoTrader.Com, or Cars.com that were scams. Usually the cars were out of the country. They had some story as to why. Or the car was in the states, but they were out of the country.

Some even said they were guaranteed by Square Trade, but found that was a scam at the time... Square Trade was ligit, but how they were saying the deal was protected and guaranteed was not.. and Square Trade at the time on their website stated to beware of current scams using them.

I confronted one person via e-mail... and he WENT OFF on me... call me all types of names. My confrontation pointed out the scam with the URL of Square Trade pointing out the scam. I was very nice....
After he went off on me, I wrote him back that I was a working stiff doing the best I could and didn't appreaciate people trying to rip people off.

I would make sure the phone numbers are ligit... and don't goto some fax data tone or recording where nobody answers.

Many go to no real number & only have the e-mail contact.

Several posted on eBay with very low Buy-It-Nows, then would pull their posts... and want to deal outside eBAY.

I was reporting them as fast as I could for a while... it was crazy... I believe I have several still documented.... it basically came down to where the authorities don't have the resources to catch these crooks.

One person even went so far as to have a web site up as a Shipper, but when you would click on the links they would go no place. It looked very real.

I did report them to the International Fraud... etc.. I have the contact information someplace... like I said, they were wearing me out.. there were so many scammers out there.

My wife told me I better stop or I may end up in the river with some cement flippers.

They usually wanted some type of small deposit, $2,000 to $3,000 for shipping or whatever... electronically transferred to them via Western Union or some other form that they could quickly process and be gone.

I can't imagine there being a legitimate 2000 NSX in good shape for that type of price.... The one's I saw were usually at least 50% or more below KBB. Some $5K to $8K range.

One time the scammer was so bold as to post a 95 NSX-T that was currently listed on eBay on AutoTrader.com or Cars.com. I couldn't believe it... same pictures.... I contacted the owner on eBay... he was shocked.

I did notify AutoTrader and Cars.com when I found such scams and they were good about immediately pulling the ads.

All I could say... if it seems too good to be true... be very, very careful... I didn't get scammed because I felt there was something wrong.. and once I caught on I was amazed at how prevelent the scam artists were...especially for NSX's.

I have seen a few implications in these forums lately that somehow the car is unstable in the rain. In the five and a half years I have owned my daily driver, I have had zero problems in the rain - it is perfectly stable in the rain, I think even more stable than most cars. And I have driven my car quite a bit in the rain. I think this is more of a case of people blaming the car for their own poor driving skills.

[/I]

I would say the greatest factors in this case would be tire selection and road conditions.

A damp road is more hazardous than a saturated road.

I agree with the previous statements that say "if it looks too good to be true, it is".

My motto is that people always want something for free, but you have to remember there's a price to these cars and anything beyond the norm should immediately send up red flags.

My personal take is that I wouldn't even bother with eBay cars.

Other than that, stick to the guns and look for cars within the price range and you'll be a happy camper when you pick one up.

Back