• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New "Move-Over" Law In CA

I was forwarded this message from a friend....

In California, the "Move-over" law became operative on January 1, 2010.

The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license
and a mandatory court appearance

Important Law to Share:

"I wanted to let my Medlock Bridge neighbors know about the CA move over law.
My son got a ticket on Pleasant Hill coming back from Wal-Mart. A Duluth
police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road
giving a ticket to someone else. My son slowed down to pass but did not move
into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and
gave him a ticket. My son and I had never heard of the law. It is a fairly
new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if
you are able, you are to move into the far lane."

The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a
mandatory court appearance.

Please let everyone you know that drives about this new law.

It is true (see details at the following web address). It states that except
two states, all the other US states (even Canada ) enacted similar kind of
law.

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Sorry your son received the ticket. It's fairly common in many states.

Not common in CA in the past, but I do it out of habit now, after I got pulled over for it in TX last year. Luckily, he let me go, as CA had no such law at the time.

Last edited:
I was forwarded this message from a friend....

In California, the "Move-over" law became operative on January 1, 2010.

The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license
and a mandatory court appearance

Important Law to Share:

"I wanted to let my Medlock Bridge neighbors know about the CA move over law.
My son got a ticket on Pleasant Hill coming back from Wal-Mart. A Duluth
police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road
giving a ticket to someone else. My son slowed down to pass but did not move
into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and
gave him a ticket. My son and I had never heard of the law. It is a fairly
new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if
you are able, you are to move into the far lane."

The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a
mandatory court appearance.

Please let everyone you know that drives about this new law.

It is true (see details at the following web address). It states that except
two states, all the other US states (even Canada ) enacted similar kind of
law.

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

thx for bringing this to our attention - i was unaware of the new law. doing a bit of research, here's what i found:

"California Department of Transportation

Headquarters - Sacramento
Matt Rocco
(916) 654-4020

October 19, 2009
NEW "MOVE OVER" LAW WILL INCREASE SAFETY FOR CALTRANS HIGHWAY WORKERS

Sacramento –Caltrans wants the public to know about a new law signed by the governor that requires motorists to move over or slow down when they see a Caltrans vehicle flashing warning lights.

The new law, Senate Bill 240 (State Senator Roderick Wright), adds Caltrans vehicles displaying flashing amber warning lights to the list of vehicles for which motorists must slow down and, if safe, move over to a lane not immediately adjacent to the stationary vehicle.

“This protects the safety of our workers,” said Caltrans Director Randy Iwasaki. “Highway workers face the same dangers from fast moving traffic as emergency personnel and tow-truck operators. We appreciate the leadership and recognition of the legislature and governor for the need to provide a safer working environment for our employees.”

Since 1924, 174 Caltrans workers have lost their lives in the line of duty. On July 23, 2009, Caltrans worker Don Lichliter was struck and fatally injured by a passing truck on Highway 99 in Lodi. He was with another worker applying a fertilizer treatment to keep eucalyptus trees healthy. Their truck was parked on the shoulder.

To date, 45 other states have enacted similar laws requiring motorists to move over or slow down. Violation of the new provision is punishable by a fine of not more than $50. The new law also makes the safety protections permanent by removing the sunset date (January 1, 2010) from existing law."

i'd be interested in learning if there are different fines for different types of emergency vehicles; perhaps (edit) this person's ticket was for more than not moving over?

Last edited:
It's another viral email hoax like using your phone when pumping gas.

the CA law says it's a max $50 fine like queenlives post, where did $700 and 3 points come from, the guy must have been doing donuts around the cop.

Also Medlock Bridge is in GA.

Gooling: looks like someone changed GA to CA to make it more interesting (the fine is very high there) but didn't change the details.
http://groups.google.com/group/atla...+about+the+GA+move+over+law"#05d802d2c3a37307

"I wanted to let my Medlock Bridge neighbors know about the GA move over law."

I can see why this hoax would appear true. To give a wide berth to a LEO/ safety vehicle or a broken down vehicle- moving over a lane to give a buffer- is just common courtesy that a "professional" driver performs. You don't have to get paid to do something to act in a professional manner, so rhetorical question warning: Why would people though, when they won't even stay out of the "passing" lane?

I watch people enter the highway, shoot three lanes to the fast lane and camp out there- despite no vehicles in the other 2 lanes. From the "slow" lane I pass them, look across an empty lane and shake my head. I know that I am preaching to the choir, especially here, but "move over" works on different levels.

The empty, fast lane is now the one on the far right, but please correct me on this; when the Interstate system was devised it was created as a right-justified system, correct? Slower traffic in theory should filter all the way to the furthest right lane that it can. Or am I wrong again?

It's another viral email hoax like using your phone when pumping gas.

the CA law says it's a max $50 fine like queenlives post, where did $700 and 3 points come from, the guy must have been doing donuts around the cop.

Also Medlock Bridge is in GA.

Gooling: looks like someone changed GA to CA to make it more interesting (the fine is very high there) but didn't change the details.
http://groups.google.com/group/atla...+about+the+GA+move+over+law"#05d802d2c3a37307

"I wanted to let my Medlock Bridge neighbors know about the GA move over law."

Wow, you guys are really sharp. I'll pass this info back to the guy who emailed that to me.

In some states, it doesn't have to be an emergency vehicle on the side of the road. If a motorist is changing his tire on the shoulder, you are suppose to move over one lane (giving the stranded motorist 1 lane of safety) when passing (in some states). I move over out of habit and safety for the other driver/car.

its just something the gov came up with to help his cheap budget sh1t CA in running into!!

Really sorry to hear this...

What?:confused: The majority of states have this law. You think it's a big deal to change lanes to protect the safety of police, civilians, and state workers?:confused:

Back