• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Nissan 350z tested by Car and Driver

Since were often talking about how other $35K Sports Cars like the S2000 stack up to the NSX, here's a heads up on the newest entry into the field, the Nissan 350z.

Taken from August 2002 Issue:

"We're delighted to report that this hardware makes for more than an impressive spec sheet. How does this sound: 0 to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds at 101 mph? How about 0.88 g of cornering stick, a stopping distance from 70 mph to standstill in 164 feet, and a top speed of 156 mph? That's essentially the same performance as a Porsche Boxster S, which has a base price of more than 50 grand."

For those not in the know, the 350z comes stock with a 3.5L V-6 making 287HP and 264ft/lbs. of torque. Redline is 6500rpm, and curb weight on the car C and D tested was 3322lbs. Front-Mid engine layout, 6-speed transmission.

This particular review was written by the Editor-In-Chief at the magazine, Csaba Csere, who has done his fair share of wheel to wheel SCCA racing.

"Most important, the steering is direct, linear, and beautifully weighted. The thick-rimmed, cast-magnesium three-spoke wheel provides a seductive combination of stability and immediate responsiveness. As you bend into a corner, the Z carves a smooth line with the exact radius that you command. Turn up the cornering speed, and the tires just bite harder into the pavement, with very little extra steering input required. As you approach the edge of the grip envelope, however, the Z will resolutely understeer. Only at low speeds, in the lower gears, can you use power to kick out the tail."

Generally it's a very favorable review, but it's not all wine and roses for the newest Japanese sports car. Here's a counterpoint from another longtime C and D writer, Larry Webster:

"At less than 27 grand, the [base] 350Z is a helluva car. At $35,000 [track], I'm thinking I'd rather beg a Chevy dealer to cut me a sweetheart deal on a Vette. I should be gaga for this thing, but I'm not. Perhaps because the expectation of brilliance isn't quite realized. The rear flanks are gorgeous, but the rectangular backup-light cluster and the front grille don't fit, and an aggressive rev limiter steps in abruptly if one strays over the redline. The handling is crisp at turn-in, but then the Z resolutely plows the front end, forgoing any notion of an agile, tossable car. Some sedans are better balanced. I expect more from a sports car."

The track version of the 350z that they tested comes with 18" lightweight Rays wheels, Brembo brakes, lightweight cloth seats, and a host of smaller upgrades.

Final Highs and Lows from the piece:

"Highs: Excellent performance, terrific control feel, exciting styling inside and out."

"Lows: Could stand to lose a couple hundred pounds and gain a more melodious engine note."

"The Verdict: A terrific sports-car value in a class all by itself."

that cars gona be one bad mother... nissan's suppsedly gona enter that as it's latest entry into GT racing. Steve Millen made the 300zx a very popular car world wide with his numerous wins in HIS 300zx GT car, so.. i'm realy waiting for the day when someone produces a twin turbo kit for it... jesus that car will be agressive. the car is like a brick on wheels though, kinda like the 3000gt VR-4

oh, here's a link that some of you wanting to do further research on the car can check out: www.freshalloy.com
go there and check out what they have, then go to the forums and read up on all of the 350z posts in the z car board
smile.gif

------------------
Paul~
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Orange240sx (edited 27 June 2002).]

I agree, the weight is rediculous and the 350z tested for the article was the lightweight TRACK version.

But the truth is that with side impact beams, dual airbags, and a host of other U.S. federally mandated safety equipment being put on, the days of near/sub 3,000lb. sports cars is long over.

There will always be exceptions like the Lotus Elise, and the Porsche 911 C2, but 3,000lbs. is no longer a viable target for enthusiasts to wish for from new models.

As an example, the current BMW M3 went on the diet of diets before it was released 18 months ago, BMW's engineers even experimented with hollow carpet fiber strands in the cabin trying desparately to pare down the weight.

Their end result: 3,410lbs. Rediculous.

I guess if you have enough power, weight is not as much of a concern these days. Ie. the Ferrari 550.

That being said, Nissans 280HP, is not enough.

------------------
1993 White NSX, 70K miles and running STRONG!

Back