• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Engine Revealed

Can't wait :) ! 3,5l V6 is enough with twin turbo's and 3 electrick motor and SH-AWD.
This will found it's way to my carage in the future...

Before we all get carried away with fantasies of uber power, keep in mind what TK said about not competing with Ferrari in numbers. With that, I'm guessing that the NSX won't have much more than 500hp. Maybe 450 or so from the engine, and another 70-80 from the electric motors. And if they really want to save weight, they will go for a 7-speed DCT rather than an 8 or 9 speed.

And personally, I'm fine with that. Anything over 400hp is pretty much useless in a street car. Those of you that are lucky enough to track your cars regularly may be disappointed. You'll just have to get something else.

I think 425 hp is my personal requirement. I agree that over 500 (for me) is cool but not something I would pay more for; as if I can even afford a 2005 now. I want to be under 5 sec 0-60 (ideally under 4.6).

There is a fine line between whining and expressing disappointment. Some express disappointment so that perhaps we can get validation of our feelings from a community that can relate.

Expressing consolation to others may be harder for men but it doesn’t mean we don’t need affirmation of our feelings. Who else are we going to turn to express disappointment about the car that many of us having been looking forward to? Perhaps your spouse/GF, or perhaps here in the NSX community because we can relate. Even if we disagree.

We are mature adults. Most don’t come here to whine.

Even though he didn’t like the direction, WingZ was quite respectful to say that he’s happy for many of us who like force induction and big HP.

One can ration that Turbo is the way to go for many reasons. However, the heart wants what it wants. And some of us find that Turbo brings attributes that are undesirable. Even Jeff, the guy who runs Temple of VTEC is somewhat disappointed with Honda’s Turbo engine family’s direction. There are pro and cons for each and we can discuss at length on which one is better.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference and which one resonates with the buyer. If one is spending over $100K on a vehicle, it is no longer a rational decision. It is about romance and which car we fall in love with.

Most, if not all of us, love our NSX. The turbo route represent a change in direction, a little different from what we loved. Some of us will embrace it, some of us will run away from it towards another marquee, and some of us will hang around this community to wait and see if the concept can grow on them over time.

In the meantime, let’s welcome all and continue to have healthy dialogues about our favorite car.

.....on that note .......I need a hug.......

Hey I'll take whatever ....hug/tug/scrum/4 star muscatel......but seriously I'm frightened by all this technology ....

I can't wait to learn more about this set up. I'm guessing 500 from the engine, another 100 from the motors.

That'd be such a waste though. Think of all of the benefits: digital torque vectoring in an awd package, the almost instant availability of that torque, power down low where everyone likes to play. I can't imagine the amount of corner exit speed this thing could have.

Come to think of it, would it be theoretically advantageous to run purely electric power at the high end of the rev range when the engine was at it's rev limit? I'm sure it would deplete the battery quickly but it'd be interesting performance question.

Actually it's quite the opposite. The higher the rpm of the electric motor the less resistance there is and it will use less power than low Rpms. That is why in electric cars they want the emotor running high rpm, and low rpm in gasoline engines for economical reasons.

It will be interesting how much power can regenerative breaking generate and how much is available.

Is anyone old enough to remember all the hoopla made over the NSX being made of aluminum and how it would crack and break and be bad in accidents and no one could work on it properly? I mean I read more negative false stuff than you could shake a stick at. None turned out to be true. I wonder how much of that this NSX will get with its technology.

Actually it's quite the opposite. The higher the rpm of the electric motor the less resistance there is and it will use less power than low Rpms. That is why in electric cars they want the emotor running high rpm, and low rpm in gasoline engines for economical reasons.

It will be interesting how much power can regenerative breaking generate and how much is available.

I was more anticipating a KERS type system but I get what you're saying. I suppose we'll see how it works though it should, in general terms, resemble the RLX Sport Hybrid. From what it looks like the regen will work in the corners and under braking.

Isn't the wheel pattern functional: aero helps induce air over the intercoolers?

I was more anticipating a KERS type system but I get what you're saying. I suppose we'll see how it works though it should, in general terms, resemble the RLX Sport Hybrid. From what it looks like the regen will work in the corners and under braking.

I'm not an electrical engineer so if I'm wrong here I hope someone will correct this.
My understanding of how a permanent magnet electric motor works is if you turn on the current it will generate power at the torque rate it is designed for.
The rpm is controlled by the amount of current fed in.
If the current is turned off and the electric motor is driven by an external force (for example, if it's coupled to a spinning wheel) it can be turned into a generator.
This involves wiring and electrical controls none of which I understand.

So when braking, the current is turned off, the electric motor is driven by the spinning wheel and electricity is generated This is KERS.

I would presume Honda would have an electric clutch between the electric motors and the wheels to allow the wheels to spin without the drag of the electric motor during regular driving where electric boost is not required
However if the clutch is activated and connects the electric motor to a spinning wheel or shaft during steady state driving, the electric motor is now being driven by the wheels and will generate electricity.
So I believe it's possible to use the main driveline electric motor as both a driven motor to provide boost, and as a generator during non boost, non braking conditions (normal driving), allowing the batteries to be charged using the power generated by the gas engine power and converting some of that to electricity.

So if after a WOT period that uses full electric boost is followed by steady state driving (no braking) the main electric motor could be used to recharge the batteries even though no regenerative braking is happening. I'd expect you'd feel a slight drag as the electric motor was kicked in as a generator cause some of the engine power is being diverted away from driving the rear wheels
I think this is possible with sophisticated electrics and Honda is expert at this.
If this scenario is doable then I think full batteries ready for electric boost would be the norm in almost all conditions.

Last edited:
They finally listen to me "longitudinal engine" way to go Honda. :wink:

Last edited:
I'm not an electrical engineer so if I'm wrong here I hope someone will correct this.
My understanding of how a permanent magnet electric motor works is if you turn on the current it will generate power at the torque rate it is designed for.
The rpm is controlled by the amount of current fed in.
If the current is turned off and the electric motor is driven by an external force (for example, if it's coupled to a spinning wheel) it can be turned into a generator.
This involves wiring and electrical controls none of which I understand.

So when braking, the current is turned off, the electric motor is driven by the spinning wheel and electricity is generated This is KERS.

I would presume Honda would have an electric clutch between the electric motors and the wheels to allow the wheels to spin without the drag of the electric motor during regular driving where electric boost is not required
However if the clutch is activated and connects the electric motor to a spinning wheel or shaft during steady state driving, the electric motor is now being driven by the wheels and will generate electricity.
So I believe it's possible to use the main driveline electric motor as both a driven motor to provide boost, and as a generator during non boost, non braking conditions (normal driving), allowing the batteries to be charged using the power generated by the gas engine power and converting some of that to electricity.

So if after a WOT period that uses full electric boost is followed by steady state driving (no braking) the main electric motor could be used to recharge the batteries even though no regenerative braking is happening. I'd expect you'd feel a slight drag as the electric motor was kicked in as a generator cause some of the engine power is being diverted away from driving the rear wheels
I think this is possible with sophisticated electrics and Honda is expert at this.
If this scenario is doable then I think full batteries ready for electric boost would be the norm in almost all conditions.
Good electronics. there will be a bunch of electronics in this design. Let's just hope Honda uses better capacitors this time! :smile:

I hope someone other than Bose does the stereo this time too.

Amen to that (I can't figure out how to quote Turbo on TapTalk). Love Bose sound but difficult to deal with due to their vehicle setup with the amps.

They don't sound great either. A more traditional setup without miniature amps and all this fancy EQ would be a lot better. Class D amps are small, light, cool, and cheap now. Just have a central amp with some decent wiring running the speakers.

Back