• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX or Ferrari 430 Scuderia (or 599 HGTE) ?

Time to start looking for the next toy as I approach retirement.
If I were looking for an "age appropriate" car the 599 is the slam dunk.
I do know of a similar age doctor with a new NSX as a daily driver. He seems to love it and has owned many Ferraris over the years.
Kind of a money is no object fellow.

Not my case.

Every automobile purchase needs to make financial sense going in even in the Ferraris that I have owned. Never new and always depreciated. Maintenance on these things can be killer vs the upward appreciation offset.

Some new cars out of the box appreciate like Special Ferraris and Porsches.
Has Acura (Honda) produced a similar car that most are not currently appreciating ?
It took many years for the Ford GT and Porsche Carrera GT (and GT 2) to catch on.

Last edited:
If you plan on putting any miles on either car, the NSX is the better choice. A 430 Scuderia will depreciate tremendously if has over 20k miles on it, look at the used market. There's a $50k+ difference in one with under 10k and one with over 10k. The Gen2 NSX won't appreciate in the next ten years and it surely will depreciate. However the depreciation won't be as drastic if you put miles on it. I leased my Gen2 and I have every intention of putting 30k miles on it. If I turn it in I know I drove it for every penny it was worth. If I buy it I know that I took good care of the car and drove it like it was mine for 30k and it won't bother me. The 599 is a great car, I looked at one for a very reasonable price. Nothing beats a 12cyl F-Car. I decided against it because service is going to be a killer, and if I put miles on it it will depreciate terribly.

Last edited:
Agreed on miles. 10k miles is considered high-mileage for an Fcar. If you want a garage-queen that you might drive once per month, Ferrari fits that bill perfectly; but not if you want to drive it 3x per week or more.

The best part about the NSX that it is an exotic car that can be driven without fear of miles. It's a Honda. I have a few buddies with Fcars and Maclarens. They only take them out if it's worth putting the miles on them. Bummer. I drive my NSX daily.

Maintenance is also a concern with Ferrari. Hold onto your wallet!

I spoke to several Fcar owners last weekend at the Gran Prix. I think I sold two NSXs by just singing the praises and maintenance-free usability of my NSX to these guys. They loved having their Ferrari, but hated to put miles on it due to depreciation and maintenance.

Your call.

All very different cars. The Scud is hard core, rough and loud. Every drive is an event. 599 is a fantastic tourer. And all Ferrari’s have ownership drama. I know first hand. They always need something yet the mystic of the brand is intoxicating. NSX is new... warranty, etc. Its plenty fast with tons of tech. Do your homework and read up on fchat. Each is an incredible car just depends what you want and what you can live with.

Last edited:
Agreed on miles. 10k miles is considered high-mileage for an Fcar. If you want a garage-queen that you might drive once per month, Ferrari fits that bill perfectly; but not if you want to drive it 3x per week or more.

The best part about the NSX that it is an exotic car that can be driven without fear of miles. It's a Honda. I have a few buddies with Fcars and Maclarens. They only take them out if it's worth putting the miles on them. Bummer. I drive my NSX daily.

Maintenance is also a concern with Ferrari. Hold onto your wallet!

I spoke to several Fcar owners last weekend at the Gran Prix. I think I sold two NSXs by just singing the praises and maintenance-free usability of my NSX to these guys. They loved having their Ferrari, but hated to put miles on it due to depreciation and maintenance.

Your call.

I contributed in the other threads on Fchat as well. I can't summarize it better than this.

Really depends what you want. I believe you have a GT2 and correct me if I'm as I've never driven one, but that would certainly be the 'event' car of my lineup (maybe not yours).

For daily practicality with a touch of exoticness NSX cannot be beat IMHO for the price range.

720S, well maybe a different discussion, but I've never been to a Mac dealer and had a test drive without one thing pop up or go wrong. That's also 3 diff dealers...

430s (esp Scuds) should start appreciating in 5-7 years. You can already pick them up for $80-100K, less than an NSX. Worst case, I really don't see them dropping below $60K before appreciating I'd you looked at what happened to the 348, 355, and now the 360 has kind of plateaued at $70-90K and is about to start appreciating. That would be the best buy now imo.

I could have picked up a nice f355 berlinetta for $50-60K 4 years ago. If I did, I could have doubled my money now. However you can ring up a $10-20K bill easily between the timing belt and valvetrain on the car and I know myself and I would actually drive and push the mechanical limits of the car. That was a lot of money for me and too much of a financial risk for me, so I chose my other childhood dream car (Viper) that is a tank and very inexpensive and reliable. It's only appreciated about $10K now, but was a much lower risk.

The 360 still has a timing belt, while the 430 hopefully will prove to be more reliable with a timing chain. I would have more confidence in driving the 430 than the 355 or 360.

If you're not going to drive it and want just an investment, try to find a 355 Berlinetta Manual for less than 90K, or pick up a manual 360, but if you want to drive it, at most you could lose $30K on a $90K 430, but it will appreciate within 7 years. The NSX is over $100K and I would expect them to be at $50-70K within the next 5-7 years. You'll lose far more on a used NSX than the Ferrari.

wow Hugh is back!.....que the dress.......................:eek:

I never left....we just need the immediate gratification crowd to stop updating their status and come back to the OG site...

Just started watching a youtuber who bought a F430 and he is a big DIYer and drives his F430 alot. He has changed/serviced his Fcar many times. And this dude still thinks his car will not depreciate that badly....lol

I think the two biggest value for Fcars, as have been said already, is low mileage and meticulous/dealer-documented service.

I would also spring for the NSX! :cool:

430 Scud is $250k-300K .. so quite hard to compare with NSX, (~140-150K new 2017, ~$160K + for 2018) but OP doesn't say price is deciding factor .. (or ~ $100K for normal 430) while 599s are in the $150K range, HTGE will push to $200K ..

If you want to make financial sense .. go for Ferrari, and put ~ 1,000-2,000max per year, I made a big mistake financially with the California instead of the 599, as they were similar price 3/4 year ago, now the 599 is somewhat $30-40K more, but the Cali fits me better, less hardcore, more comfort, and fit the family of 4 nicely, I put stroller and baby seat in it, so that $30/40K has gone from my mind ..

Same as when I got my Porsche 996 turbo when it first came out, I did compare it with a 4 year old 993 turbo, (somewhat $60-70K less) I bought the new 996 T (well, 2,000mile on it) instead.. look back now, I say that is a BIG MISTAKE!! LOL :frown:

Even NSX, was considering one when they are in the ~$25K-30K range, now, a nice one are $60K + ...

To be fair, servicing for Ferrari isn't that bad, not as crazy as before, late 430 is somewhat reliable, and I assume service cost for 599 will be much higher, being a V12 ..

How about 458? best of both world, quite modern, ok for daily, service is good, sexy looking, still great performance, last N/A V8, decent resale, even some with 50,000mile ..

They only financial sense is don't buy expensive cars... That being said I love my NSX.

No, I'm not getting one.

Drat, you would be the perfect owner

I wish they had a better concierge for those amazing cars.

Too many with stripes and one guy has a lovely yellow one contaminated with red calipers. The car would have been awesome with black ones (OK, the car is awesome but could have been spec'd more to my liking).

I am looking forward to see a comp edition trade hands. From the trend for limited models within low production cars capturing the toppest dollar, the comp edition should bring a hefty premium.

458s are depreciating as fast as the NSX. They are going to be a hell of a buy sub $100k soon.
Drat, you would be the perfect owner

I wish they had a better concierge for those amazing cars.

Too many with stripes and one guy has a lovely yellow one contaminated with red calipers. The car would have been awesome with black ones (OK, the car is awesome but could have been spec'd more to my liking).

I am looking forward to see a comp edition trade hands. From the trend for limited models within low production cars capturing the toppest dollar, the comp edition should bring a hefty premium.
Are you getting one?

Comps don't have AC. Would be miserable to drive whenever it's not on track.

I am not in that sphere. I am just happy a US company built something that global high rollers would covet.

The guys on the GT forum have bemoaned the lack of AC, especially since most of them are in warm climates (other than the Detroit squad).

I still think the comp cars will be the record setters for resale pricing due to some extra performance and rarity.

430 Scud is $250k-300K .. so quite hard to compare with NSX, (~140-150K new 2017, ~$160K + for 2018) but OP doesn't say price is deciding factor .. (or ~ $100K for normal 430) while 599s are in the $150K range, HTGE will push to $200K ..

If you want to make financial sense .. go for Ferrari, and put ~ 1,000-2,000max per year, I made a big mistake financially with the California instead of the 599, as they were similar price 3/4 year ago, now the 599 is somewhat $30-40K more, but the Cali fits me better, less hardcore, more comfort, and fit the family of 4 nicely, I put stroller and baby seat in it, so that $30/40K has gone from my mind ..

Same as when I got my Porsche 996 turbo when it first came out, I did compare it with a 4 year old 993 turbo, (somewhat $60-70K less) I bought the new 996 T (well, 2,000mile on it) instead.. look back now, I say that is a BIG MISTAKE!! LOL :frown:

Even NSX, was considering one when they are in the ~$25K-30K range, now, a nice one are $60K + ...

To be fair, servicing for Ferrari isn't that bad, not as crazy as before, late 430 is somewhat reliable, and I assume service cost for 599 will be much higher, being a V12 ..

How about 458? best of both world, quite modern, ok for daily, service is good, sexy looking, still great performance, last N/A V8, decent resale, even some with 50,000mile ..

Yes I looked at the 458 and think its the most beautiful Ferrari since the F40. If looks were the factor then the 458 would be IT. I drove one and it is wicked nice !!!
But bottom line $$$ has to come into play and 458s still have a long drop in depreciation. I may buy one down the road.
I'm into "special" Ferraris like the Scud or CS or 599 GTO (not in my price league :( ) but think the limited production of 599s and especially HGTEs will count for something as to holding value.
I currently own a 512BB which I think is vastly underappreciated and "special".
A 599 might make a nice contrast in 12 cyl Ferraris.
However I do also own a gen1 NSX in black and have found a killer deal on a black gen2.

There is a stick 430 on ebay right now for $120 which may be the best pick of all but I assume its well worn
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Ferra...4Wh8eCoOAKVo8ZGVzu070%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Best Ferrari are:

360 CS
430 Scud
458 Speciale' or the Aperta if you have a big checkbook!

Love the 458 speciale and as the name suggests, it's the one we want to pick up for our garage. Looks + sound, not much you can't get from that car!

But all of there above cars are really in a different league of their own, it's quite a bit jump from the new generation NSX!

Get the forum going again! Screw FB!

Maybe I am old school as I would prefer to see the forum be the place and drop facebook.
I like the organization of threads here on the forum as fb is random and post get lost.

For me it was between a 458 and the NSX. I choose the NSX for reliability and drive ability. Used to own a 355 and although I loved the car she required a lot of upkeep.

For me it was between a 458 and the NSX. I choose the NSX for reliability and drive ability. Used to own a 355 and although I loved the car she required a lot of upkeep.
Same here. Love the 458 but not for me. I posted some reasons on fchat. Loved my 360 then 360C but belts etc and they’re 15+ year old cars. I was ready for something new(er) and with the cash incentive the NSX won.

Back