• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner: 1991 NSX

Hey guys -- new owner and this is my first post. So be gentle :biggrin:. It is a 1991 Silver/Black with 5-speed transmission. This will NOT be a daily driver for me but rather a weekend/cruising vehicle. I have no plans to ever race it.

I purchased the vehicle last week from a friend's father who has owned it since new. The vehicle does have 100k miles on it but is in very good condition as he was not a racer and just used it for daily driving for about 10 years before putting it in storage. The car was recently taken out of storage and sent to a local Acura dealership where they did some general maintenance and replaced the AC compressor.

I am having our trusted mechanic take it this weekend and give it his once over. Is there anything I should have him pay particular attention to? I noticed when I drove it last week that the clutch engagement point was VERY high from what I am used to in other Honda's. Is this normal or could this be indicative of wear on the clutch? Other things I have noticed in searching this forum are: starter fuse, window regulators, timing belt.

Anything I am missing?

Welcome to the community and congratulations on your purchase! Don't forget to post some photos when you get a chance.

Anything I am missing?

Since you know the previous owner and he has owned it since new it would be worth asking if he still has any of the maintenance records so you have an idea of what has or hasn't been done. I just purchased my first NSX a few months ago and I have a laundry list of maintenance wear/tear items that I used when looking for the right car for me. Since you are a new member I can't PM you but if you want to email me I can send you a copy of my list cotroiano at gmail dot com

Also, I would look at this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/180947-Major-service-suggestions-on-91 for items that are probably due or should be done in the near future if never done

Congrats and welcome! I agree with Hass that the high engagement is normal. Here is a related thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...GH-CLUTCH-ENGAGEMENT-POINT-can-it-be-adjusted. Regarding other possible items at your stated mileage, other things to check or be prepared for is the main relay, clutch master/slave cylinder and potential capacitor failure on the CCU and SRS units. Oh, and if you haven't checked already I would confirm if the transmission is in snap-ring range or not. Some of the earlier cars were affected and could pose a potential issue. https://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm. Don't forget to post pics too!

Congratulations! Welcome to NSX ownership! I have a 91. It's nice that you knew the seller personally. It also helps because you don't have to do maintenance items over uselessly, if they were done. I bought mine without any records and had to rely on what little info was available on CarFax. It is critical to do some things if they have been neglected. I recently finished a massive endeavor on a new timing belt, tensioner pulley and spring, new water pump with new honda bolts, valve adjustment, sparkplugs, sparkplug seals, new harmonic balancer (crankshaft) pulley (they have been known to delaminate) I did the belt and suspender technique, a shield fabricated by Cedar Ridge Fabrication, really a great guy here on Prime, and the new harmonic balancer....if your harmonic balancer delaminates, in a matter of minutes it will eat through the lower timing belt cover, break the timing belt or at the very least cause the belt to skip a tooth or many teeth and now you will be needing a rebuild of the engine, butterfly screw inspection, fuel filter, alternator and A/C belt, A/C tensioner pulley (overkill, I know) new radiator, new thermostat, changed both front and rear spool valve gaskets (if you notice an oil leak, check these out, they are notorious for leaking over time) , ALL new coolant hoses, new coolant expansion tank, air intake temperature sensor cleaning, throttle body cleaning, new valve cover gaskets, ignition switch and main relay replacement (these were preventative measures because sooner or later your 91 is going to stop running, I am not kidding, lol) flushed brake fluid, but much to my dismay my ABS is giving me the light and now I am working on that.....solenoids may be an issue and/or accumulator not having enough nitrogen back pressure, hence why I got 215ml of fluid out when draining the accumulator. Oh yeah and an oil change with Pennzoil Platinum Pure Synthetic, lol Check out my post for details and pointers!

I got every OEM part from acurapartsforless deal with Justin over there, they have the best prices, are actually Precision Acura in New Jersey. If you enter code "5NSX" you get an additional 5% off which will help cover you on shipping! Tell them the other guy, Prashant, with the 91 NSX referred you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me via pm or any of the other great prime members! We all love helping each other out!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Welcome to NSX ownership! I have a 91. It's nice that you knew the seller personally. It also helps because you don't have to do maintenance items over uselessly, if they were done. I bought mine without any records and had to rely on what little info was available on CarFax. It is critical to do some things if they have been neglected. I recently finished a massive endeavor on a new timing belt, valve adjustment, sparkplugs, new harmonic balancer (crankshaft) pulley (they have been known to delaminate) I did the belt and suspender technique, a shield fabricated by Cedar Ridge Fabrication, really a great guy here on Prime, and the new harmonic balancer....if your harmonic balancer delaminates, in a matter of minutes it will eat through the lower timing belt cover, break the timing belt or at the very least cause the belt to skip a tooth or many teeth and now you will be needing a rebuild of the engine, butterfly screw inspection, fuel filter, alternator and A/C belt, new radiator, new thermostat, changed both front and rear spool valve gaskets (if you notice an oil leak, check these out, they are notorious for leaking over time) , ALL new coolant hoses, new coolant expansion tank, air intake temperature sensor cleaning, throttle body cleaning, new valve cover gaskets, ignition switch and main relay replacement (these were preventative measures because sooner or later your 91 is going to stop running, I am not kidding, lol) flushed brake fluid, but much to my dismay my ABS is giving me the light and now I am working on that.....solenoids may be an issue and/or accumulator not having enough nitrogen back pressure, hence why I got 215ml of fluid out when draining the accumulator. Oh yeah and an oil change with Pennzoil Platinum Pure Synthetic, lol Check out my post for details and pointers!

I got every OEM part from acurapartsforless deal with Justin over there, they have the best prices, are actually Precision Acura in New Jersey. If you enter code "5NSX" you get an additional 5% off which will help cover you on shipping! Tell them the other guy, Prashant, with the 91 NSX referred you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me via pm or any of the other great prime members! We all love helping each other out!

Thats a lot of maintenance. Bet your car runs really smooth.

Back