• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner of 2002 Maserati Coupe GT

And after a week of solid evaluation, the NSX is still the favorite in my garage.

It makes me think, from 1991 (my NSX) to 2002 (the Maserati). The NSX fit and finish, interior design, drive-ability, handling, visibility, comfort, stereo (believe it or not), maintenance, longevity of simple things, like the plastic buttons, smell of the leather, feel of the shifter. Well just about everything is still better. The Maserati is marginally quicker, but that's about it. The NSX makes a better DD and road trip vehicle. I know a Gran Tourer is in a different category from the NSX, but in today's pre-owned market, the Maserati is in the same price ballpark.

I actually find excessive creature comforts rather annoying. Such as the auto positioning of side mirrors when putting the car into reverse, automatic movement of the electric seat when you lean the backrest forward, bulky key fob, complex immobilizer, and the PHD required to operate the stereo. I have a laundry list of annoying things about newer cars.

The NSX is such a gem. It really is the perfect all around vehicle. I wish Honda would develop a newer "NSX Classic" and introduce it new with a much lower price point that will put it in reach to a larger audience.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this review just in case someone was curious about ownership differences between the two.

2002 Maserati Coupe GT (very rare 6 speed manual shifter Red/Tan)
maserati.jpg

Of course the very loved NSX keeps it's spot in the garage:)
garage.jpg

This is a great car with a really nice engine. The manual is indeed by rare. The handling was improved vastly when they went to the Gransport. I searched for over a year and bought this one, its a car that's in the family. Love it. Much lovelier sound than the NSX, very good handling, very good brakes, very pretty. 500 pounds lighter than the Gran Turismo. Would I trade my NSX for it? HELLZ NO.

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

7-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have always loved the lines of the Maserati. However, all I hear are nightmare stories about the cost of maintaining these cars. I know their value drops like a rock after a number of years. What has been your maintenance costs and how often do you drive these cars?

RT10 or GTS ? I cant tell from photo. I used to have a red 97 gts I really loved that car, hated selling it but I was getting in too much trouble with it (idiot 22 yr old then).
nice stable of rides...

I have always loved the lines of the Maserati. However, all I hear are nightmare stories about the cost of maintaining these cars. I know their value drops like a rock after a number of years. What has been your maintenance costs and how often do you drive these cars?

I haven't driven mine enough to tell you how bad maintenance is, but an oil change at the dealer is $450. The value seems to have stabilized, I haven't seem any drop in this one over the last few years. But the blue one is a very rare color combo and it is a special edition, it's also been driven 7K miles now. It's practically a new car. It's a garage queen. But it does run and sound awesome. Very fun car.

Nice choice in cars! I like the ones you keep in the garage the best. :)

RT10 or GTS ?
It's a '97 GTS, I threw a single turbo on it for some extra kick. Low boost throws down 714hp 890ft/lbs. I don't spin the motor very high.

What has been your maintenance costs and how often do you drive these cars?
I'm driving the Maserati everyday as a DD. It was my sole intention. So far the issues I've found are the o-rings need replacing around the expansion valve for the A/C. It's about $9 for parts. I have the equipment to evacuate the refrigerant and refill, so it'll be a quick easy job. The very first thing I did was an oil change, and sent the oil into Blackstone as all my changes. Changing oil on these cars are pretty easy, just takes nearly a train engine worth of oil. If you do it yourself it'll set you back about $100 including filter & washers.

I'll keep everyone posted on the reliability, maintenance, and ongoing costs.

Whats the milage on it now?

Back