• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new owner questions

So after a couple days of ownership I have some questions for you all

1. Is there a way that I can "brighten" the stock head lights? They seem very dark compared to my other cars
2. Is there a way to brighten the interior illumination? I have turned the dial all the way to the left but its still not very bright. Are all NSX's this way? Is that knob supposed to push in and click? Mine stays out.
3. Idle is low. It seems like the car idles at 400-500 rpm. Is this correct? It seems quite low to me.
4. Engine glass hatch struts are going. Where is the cheapest place to get them?
5. Condensation in a tail lights. Seal? How do I fix this
6. I need new floor mats. Cheapest place to get them?
7. The stock stereo SUCKS. Can I just change the speakers or is it more envolved? What size are they?
8. My auto switch on the climate control doesnt function. I have to put the fan on high and then it works but the auto doesnt. Is this a common problem and what is the recommended fix?
9. Windows are slooooooow to roll up. I thought the window issue was only through 92. How can I fix this? WD-40??

Thanks in advance!!! Pictures coming soon BTW!!

Let's see:

1. HIDs, try this guy, he's local and he's a great guy.
2. I've used LEDs, they work ok, but not great.
3. Your idle is too low. Take it to Don at Hilltop.
4 You can get them recharged by Strutwise. They did mine and they lasted quite a while.
5. There is a current thread in the DIY section here.
6. Try Hrant, he's a vendor and member here.
7. Can't help, mine's OEM too, but it doesn't bother me.
8. Try Briank, also a member.
9. I had to open up the doors and re-lube the window runners. WD40 is not a lubricant!

HTH

So after a couple days of ownership I have some questions for you all

1. Is there a way that I can "brighten" the stock head lights? They seem very dark compared to my other cars
2. Is there a way to brighten the interior illumination? I have turned the dial all the way to the left but its still not very bright. Are all NSX's this way? Is that knob supposed to push in and click? Mine stays out.
3. Idle is low. It seems like the car idles at 400-500 rpm. Is this correct? It seems quite low to me.
4. Engine glass hatch struts are going. Where is the cheapest place to get them?
5. Condensation in a tail lights. Seal? How do I fix this
6. I need new floor mats. Cheapest place to get them?
7. The stock stereo SUCKS. Can I just change the speakers or is it more envolved? What size are they?
8. My auto switch on the climate control doesnt function. I have to put the fan on high and then it works but the auto doesnt. Is this a common problem and what is the recommended fix?
9. Windows are slooooooow to roll up. I thought the window issue was only through 92. How can I fix this? WD-40??

Thanks in advance!!! Pictures coming soon BTW!!

1) HID
2) interior high output lamp bulbs.
3) Idle should be 700-850
4) SOS has them, not cheap but works good. You can send them out to get them rebuilt.
5) Uninstall the tail lights, seal it with silicon. Do a search on prime. You can access the bolts to the tail light by taking off the rear carpet
6) Not sure about this one, try nsxprime for sale section or post a WTB.
7) Change the speakers. I always found the system very nice
8) Very common, get Brain to fix it. Seach button
9) Take out the door panel and grease the rails. There are also replacements for the slider part. Search button.

Happy motoring and once again a warm welcome

Rob:smile:

Thank you for the replies to the above.
I have 3 more problems then she will be perfect!

10. The horn is out. It feels like there is no pressure behind it. Any suggestions?
11. The mileage trip counter is broken. When I press the rod in the mileage doesnt roll back to "0". Any ideas?
12. The clutch pedal is suuuuper hard. There is an after market clutch in it but is there a way to make it softer?

Sounds like a trip to Don at hilltop is in order to fix them all ... and ... BRIAN~~~!!! When do you want to fix my Auto button/fan :D

Isnt this what I need for the strut fix? Its cheap!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...006QQitemZ160210300759QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Thank you for the replies to the above.
I have 3 more problems then she will be perfect!

10. The horn is out. It feels like there is no pressure behind it. Any suggestions?
11. The mileage trip counter is broken. When I press the rod in the mileage doesnt roll back to "0". Any ideas?
12. The clutch pedal is suuuuper hard. There is an after market clutch in it but is there a way to make it softer?

Sounds like a trip to Don at hilltop is in order to fix them all ... and ... BRIAN~~~!!! When do you want to fix my Auto button/fan :D

Isnt this what I need for the strut fix? Its cheap!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...006QQitemZ160210300759QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Is that you in your avatar? I'd be willing to come over and help out if it is...

If you're a guy and that is your girlfriend: good luck buddy.

hahaha. :smile:

As for the window grease, I went down and bought a can of spray "lithium" grease. It gets down in all the hard to get to places since it has a long nozzle. Even then they will not be that fast going up and down.:smile:

Is that you in your avatar? I'd be willing to come over and help out if it is...

If you're a guy and that is your girlfriend: good luck buddy.

hahaha. :smile:

That is her in the Avatar and she is married. She mentioned it on another thread that she has a husband.

You should still go help as a fellow prime member....:biggrin:

vietNSeXy
You can check out ebay, there are many NSX parts and there are also nice floormats for sale

If your not happy with the OEM bose sterio I would sugest that you up grade the whole thing not just the speakers the tape deck is anaquated there are a # of members that sell the door plates for an easy install also if you can still get your hands on one there are subs that go in the floor where the stock one is located that will not take up any room for the passenger all you would need is 2 door speakers a sub if your looking for that and a head unit and a small amp.

If your going to spend the money on anything spend it on a good head unit (CD/DVD/MP3) depending on how far you want to go->$$$$.

I have a Double din CD/DVD/NAV w/9.5 in dinamated doors 10'' sub in the passenger side and a 75x4 amp. I bridged two channels to the sub and the other two go to the door speakers. The NSX has a small cabin so it dose not take much. It will hit all the highs you can handle and go low enough to rattle your grandmother dentures.

Congrats on the new car! You are experiencing the same issues as the rest of us owners.

#7 You need to pull the center console to get the Climate Control Unit (CCU) out to send it to BrianK for rebuild. While you are in there, consider a USA Spec IPOD adapter for the factory deck.

#8 You can have BrianK rebuild the factory speakers, or if you choose to go aftermarket, you'll need an amp to drive them. You also need a wire harness adapter for amp preouts. I got mine from SOS.

I suggest that you join NSXCA and donate to NSXPRIME. And yes, please post pics of the car.

HAHA ... yes I am married.
KSXNSX: Are you saying you would only come help me out if I was unmarried?:frown:
davidf: understand what? Its a dinner dress in the picture and my husband actually took that one one on Vday! You boys always read into things :biggrin:

We have ordered floor mats and new hatch struts and my husband is getting 2 keys made today.
The only major concerns now are the horn, trip reset, idle and AC.

We will be doing a full new stereo and alarm next week.

I updated my sig and I will post pictures ASAP. I have to get some one to take them for me ... and appearantly I should wear sweatpants and a parka! :tongue:

... and appearantly I should wear sweatpants and a parka! :tongue:

Actually a Mini Skirt and Stillettos would be more :wink: appropriate.

:redface: I just realized that the lowest line is 500 RPM and each line is 100RPM. *blush*:redface:
It's idling at 600-750RPM. Is that where its supposed to be?

BTW you have'nt mentioned the vibration under 1800 rpm's. Yes they seem to vibrate from idle to 1800. This is typical.

that was going to be a question of mine as well! Way to read a mind ... It does vibrate under 1800 ... almost like it doesnt like being under 3K!! I keep it around 5K nearly all the time :D

My antenna also clunks when it rolls down :(

that was going to be a question of mine as well! Way to read a mind ... It does vibrate under 1800 ... almost like it doesnt like being under 3K!! I keep it around 5K nearly all the time :D

My antenna also clunks when it rolls down :(

Is the antenna fully retracted or is some still sticking up?

I would use a detailing spray or wax on the antenna while it is fully extended. Lots of dirt cakes up and it begins to have a hard time retracting. Keep it slick and it will quiet down. You will always be able to hear it at least once when it fully retracts and finds the stop. If you hear it several times then it needs attention.

It makes the noise when it goes all the way down and then clunks like 3 times fast.

It makes the noise when it goes all the way down and then clunks like 3 times fast.

Mine did the same thing and after I waxed it, it doesn't do it anymore.

wax ... what kind of wax? I think WD40 and ductape fixes everything :D

Back