• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner w/ hesitation and 6 fault codes

Hey guys. I'm a new owner in the last week and have quite the project on my hands. Even more than the Acura PPI indicated. I need to start with the mechanical aspects, of which there are several. First on the list is the hesitation under light throttle that is discussed at length on the forum. I have the bass drum noise under light acceleration that some have found to be coil problems. I drove the car for two days and this worsened as I went. The check engine light came on yesterday so I've since parked the car until this is resolved. I scanned for fault codes today and found 17, 41, 42, 43, 44 and 47 stored. The speedo is intermittently not working so I attribute 17 to that. The others, your thoughts?

Tom

You will need the following:

(1) VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor - 78420-SL0-505 (code 17)
(2) 02 Sensors - Primary - (oxygensensors.com, P/N 234-4096) (Code 41,42)
(1) Main Relay - 39400-SL0-003 (Code 47**)

**You may need a fuel pump, but I would do the relay first, (way cheaper;)), since this will most likely fix your issue.

Forget the 43 and 44 codes, they will also most likely go away once you replace the items above.

Oh, and most important you need a service manual!!!

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Larry,
Thank you very very much! Shoot me your Paypal address via PM, I owe you a lunch at the very least. You do SO much for this forum and your knowledge shouldn't have to be free.

Tom

Larry,
Thank you very very much! Shoot me your Paypal address via PM, I owe you a lunch at the very least. You do SO much for this forum and your knowledge shouldn't have to be free.

Tom

Fix it first;);).......

Larry,

Tom

+1 - Offerred Larry dinner whenever he's in St. louis. Never took me up on it yet. Invaluable, consistant and knowledgeable resource. :wink:

Tom,
Download the service manual. I have 2 spare cats with 02 sensors still in place. If I dont use the 02 sensors and most likely I wont since I will be running widebands. I will let you have for free. Also if you need the cat theyre yours. I am upgrading to a walbro 255 and havent had time to installed it yet. Once I do you can have my oem pump.

Tuan

Man you guys are awesome! I've never had such a warm welcome to any car community. Should've done this long ago for multiple reasons now :) I appreciate the offers Tuan!

Tom

Did the oxygen sensors and main relay today and so far, great! No hesitation at part throttle, runs smooth. Seems to have a shorter crank to fire when warm, but still several cranks to fire when cold. I have nothing to compare this to, so I'm to assume it is normal? My hat is off to those of you that have done the oxygen sensors without a lift, especially the rear one. It seems that toothpick arms would be MUCH better suited to that particular job, wow. My wife was a big help, and while I was taking a bathroom break she completed the main relay job. Flat-rated that one no sweat! She is a helluva catch. We also installed new engine cover and trunk struts. Much better.

Noticed during the work that the previous owner managed to get one to two nuts on all 3-bolt flanges in the exhaust system when he swapped the aftermarket exhaust back to stock...nice. Also found a pretty heavy valve cover gasket leak that limited my test drive to 5 miles or so....still had smoke from oil burning off on the exhaust coming from the rear vent when I stopped. Yikes. Will tackle that next.

Thanks Larry!!! Now where do we send you lunch? :)

Tom

Last edited:
Back