• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Procharger, old idea with a twist

Folks,
I'm finally back to designing a new forced induction system. I'm looking for a new challenge so that eliminates turbos as it's been shown that these can make huge power gains despite poor design and engineering execution. No slam, but with a big enough turbo the sky's the limit (at least for a dyno queen). So that leaves positive displacement SCers which in the past have seem to hit a wall at about 500 RWHP. I decided to start work on incorporating Eaton's new TVS 1900 head unit with the goal of 650 RWHP on my built block (pump gas or E85, don't know).

Anyone not aware of the advantages of these new blowers should consult the Eaton website. Even with these improvements I feel the "blower" still has room for further optimization given freedom to design some radically new intake and discharge manifolds to reduce destructive (in terns of flow) acoustical wave dynamics (reduce acoustical impedance), reduce discharge turbulance and promoting optimum air speeds and momentum. The manufacture has requirements for the masses that allow easier adaption to various applications but which also sub-optimise performance. I don't have these constraints.

Anyway, I'm 50% into my design effort having scanned in and converted to CAD models all the major engine components so I can do some what-if product packaging and output CAD parts ready for the CNC machine. Then I see this Procharger SCer on some gear head TV show. It's has a variable speed (like a snowmobile) trans which is controlled by an electrical servo (motor) which is programable. Bottom line, this centrifugal SCer has the potential to erase the complaints about poor low rpm boost while keeping the great top end performance. I was intrigued so I called Procharger.

To make a long conversation short Procharger isn't selling the blower alone, just in kit form (they have a few muscle car kits to date at over $8k). They're DISCOURAGING tuner installations as they feel the unit is just too new. Consequently they won't provide any technical support unless it's associated with one of their kits. I asked about sending me an IGES, STL, or STEP file of the head unit so I can do some "what-if's" to determine if the darn thing would even fit in the engine bay and they said no due to worries about reverse engineering efforts. It's clear this engineer doesn't understand that you can't do much with these "dumb" models and I got 10 times more insight into their design by watching the Procharger generated simulation video on their own website than I could ever get studying a surface model. He was either being very vague regrading many of my questions or simply didn't understand the technical lingo. Either way I came away quite discouraged about any thoughts of incorporating this new technology (well it's old tech with a new twist) into my NSX.

So I guess it's back to the new Eaton 1900. Probably just as well as the Procharger is HUGE and probably hogs HP like crazy with that variable ratio box. Curious, Procharger told me they didn't even measure the HP required to pump various flows at various pressure ratios.

Back to what's in it for YOU. Once I've reached my goal on my personal car I'm going to use a similar design concept but using the older (and very cheap) M90 blower. I've got a design where I'll plumb the output of the SCer into the stock TB and intake just like a turbo making the installation much, much simpler. My market would be someone wanting 60 to 80 extra HP at low boost/rpm. This should avoid having to go to a stand alone EMS by simply regulating fuel pressure and a few other easy parameters to make the system safe. I suspect the price with a customer supplied used (e-bay) blower would be less than $3000.

Here's my engine model and my Creaform 3D scanner used to capture parts as point cloud data.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 457
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 456
Interesting layout yet the placement of the charger makes it rather bulky it would make routing maintenance a bit more tricky.
Very very interested to see how this layout pans out, reminds me of the old GruppeM kit.

Certainly the most cost effective design layout for a eaton blower.
The M90 is certainly the most cost effective way of supercharging the NSX.

This is awesome. The e90 is a great blower for a great price. Found used all over the place and very effecient for a mild hp setup. I will be follwing!

Just a question, why do you have the supercharger mounted like that? it raises costs for production. If you want to go for a budget i would just mount the supercharger flat with the outlet facing up, using a FORD 3.8 M90. Use a 1/4 thick plate bolted to the IM to support the supercharger. This method in my eyes uses less vertical space, simpler, and cheaper to fab up. Any reason as to why you wanted to mount the supercharger on its side?

Also what will you be using to control boost.

This is awesome. The e90 is a great blower for a great price. Found used all over the place and very effecient for a mild hp setup. I will be follwing!

Yes, I agree. I've got a lot of experience with the M90 and NSX. I made over 430 RWHP with one (see my website www.mscperformance.com) The problem with any blower to date is the added complexity of re-locating the original throttle body and all the associated gadgets from the stock location to the intake side of the blower. I've got a design that will eliminate the need to move the stock TB. That alone will make any "kit" much simpler and much cheaper. Keeping boost under 6 lbs will eliminate the second and third cost drivers, the need for an intercooler and standalone EMS. Now, having said that the potential customer for this kit would need to be satisfied with the extra 60 - 80 HP and NOT try to up the boost in any.

- - - Updated - - -

Will that fit under the glass?

No problem, I've already done it. See www.mscperformance.com.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a question, why do you have the supercharger mounted like that? it raises costs for production. If you want to go for a budget i would just mount the supercharger flat with the outlet facing up, using a FORD 3.8 M90. Use a 1/4 thick plate bolted to the IM to support the supercharger. This method in my eyes uses less vertical space, simpler, and cheaper to fab up. Any reason as to why you wanted to mount the supercharger on its side?

Also what will you be using to control boost.

Yes, the configuration you mentioned puts the blower discharge port VERY close to the hatch glass and requires the flow to make a sharpe angle change at exit (see the original Gruupe M design). I owned a Gruupe M and it was very restricted. I tried several positions and none worked better in terms of flow direction and ability to add an intercooler reasonably close to the blower housing. Boost control on a positive displacment blower is controlled by blower rpm (pulley size).

Note - the blower in the CAD drawing is the new Eaton TVS1900, the older M90 is smaller. I'll scan the M90 this week and import it into my engine model for comparisons.

Last edited:
Mark good to see you back. So basically a boostzilla/BBSC design with the M90 as the blower. How hot would the m90 get with 6lbs of boost?

One more question. One thing that I cant seem to have explained to me very well, whats the difference between the boost control ACTUATOR and SOLENOID. I wanted to run a simlar setup using a ford 3.8 M90. But doing the math it would run like 18psi with no boost control on the stock pulley. I didnt want to increase the pulley size since I would like full boost to come one earlier. They only thing I could think of was using maybe a wastegate on the charge pipe to control flow. But finding the right spring size, and controlling it so it would surge, or let too much pressure off at once for a stable tune would be challenging. Any suggestions?

Folks,
I'm finally back to designing a new forced induction system. I'm looking for a new challenge so that eliminates turbos as it's been shown that these can make huge power gains despite poor design and engineering execution. No slam, but with a big enough turbo the sky's the limit (at least for a dyno queen). So that leaves positive displacement SCers which in the past have seem to hit a wall at about 500 RWHP. I decided to start work on incorporating Eaton's new TVS 1900 head unit with the goal of 650 RWHP on my built block (pump gas or E85, don't know).

Anyone not aware of the advantages of these new blowers should consult the Eaton website. Even with these improvements I feel the "blower" still has room for further optimization given freedom to design some radically new intake and discharge manifolds to reduce destructive (in terns of flow) acoustical wave dynamics (reduce acoustical impedance), reduce discharge turbulance and promoting optimum air speeds and momentum. The manufacture has requirements for the masses that allow easier adaption to various applications but which also sub-optimise performance. I don't have these constraints.

Anyway, I'm 50% into my design effort having scanned in and converted to CAD models all the major engine components so I can do some what-if product packaging and output CAD parts ready for the CNC machine. Then I see this Procharger SCer on some gear head TV show. It's has a variable speed (like a snowmobile) trans which is controlled by an electrical servo (motor) which is programable. Bottom line, this centrifugal SCer has the potential to erase the complaints about poor low rpm boost while keeping the great top end performance. I was intrigued so I called Procharger.

To make a long conversation short Procharger isn't selling the blower alone, just in kit form (they have a few muscle car kits to date at over $8k). They're DISCOURAGING tuner installations as they feel the unit is just too new. Consequently they won't provide any technical support unless it's associated with one of their kits. I asked about sending me an IGES, STL, or STEP file of the head unit so I can do some "what-if's" to determine if the darn thing would even fit in the engine bay and they said no due to worries about reverse engineering efforts. It's clear this engineer doesn't understand that you can't do much with these "dumb" models and I got 10 times more insight into their design by watching the Procharger generated simulation video on their own website than I could ever get studying a surface model. He was either being very vague regrading many of my questions or simply didn't understand the technical lingo. Either way I came away quite discouraged about any thoughts of incorporating this new technology (well it's old tech with a new twist) into my NSX.

So I guess it's back to the new Eaton 1900. Probably just as well as the Procharger is HUGE and probably hogs HP like crazy with that variable ratio box. Curious, Procharger told me they didn't even measure the HP required to pump various flows at various pressure ratios.

Back to what's in it for YOU. Once I've reached my goal on my personal car I'm going to use a similar design concept but using the older (and very cheap) M90 blower. I've got a design where I'll plumb the output of the SCer into the stock TB and intake just like a turbo making the installation much, much simpler. My market would be someone wanting 60 to 80 extra HP at low boost/rpm. This should avoid having to go to a stand alone EMS by simply regulating fuel pressure and a few other easy parameters to make the system safe. I suspect the price with a customer supplied used (e-bay) blower would be less than $3000.

Here's my engine model and my Creaform 3D scanner used to capture parts as point cloud data.

WOW, Very nice. Good to see your back to your NSX project, I have been following your progress on your NSX for years.

Bryan

One more question. One thing that I cant seem to have explained to me very well, whats the difference between the boost control ACTUATOR and SOLENOID. I wanted to run a simlar setup using a ford 3.8 M90. But doing the math it would run like 18psi with no boost control on the stock pulley. I didnt want to increase the pulley size since I would like full boost to come one earlier. They only thing I could think of was using maybe a wastegate on the charge pipe to control flow. But finding the right spring size, and controlling it so it would surge, or let too much pressure off at once for a stable tune would be challenging. Any suggestions?

The need to control boost on a properly sized blower system is rarely needed. This is in contrast to most turbo and some centrifugal SCer systems, which if properly sized absolutely need some form of boost control to function correctly.

In the simplest terms, the amount of boost resulting from forced induction is a function of the amount of air provided by the device compared to the amount of air consumed by the engine (its displacement) at a given engine rpm (volumetric efficiency). For example, if at the chosen blower rpm the SCer displaces twice the engine capacity the pressure ratio will be around 2 (14.7 psi of boost).

The output of a positive displacement SCer is very linear and directly proportional to blower rpm. In addition, the NSX has a very flat torque curve, which suggests consistent volumetric efficiency throughout the power band. Therefore, the resulting maximum boost at full throttle should be relatively consistent and self-limiting from low to high rpm. If this level is too high either the blower is too large, it’s spinning too fast, or both. Vise versa for too low boost.

Could excess boost be bled off using a valve of some sort, of course. But why use all that power (HP) and generate all that heat just to waste it all by venting the system? The better engineering approach is to properly design and size the system to start with.

Having said that, the air-bypass valve is a common device found on SCer installations. However, it is not intended to control boost but simply allow air to by-pass the SCer during off boost periods. This reduces the power required to spin the SCer for better fuel economy. The valve is opened by intake manifold vacuum and therefore allows by-pass at part throttle and light loads. The valve closes at some predetermined vacuum level (usually ¾ to full throttle) allowing boost to build in the system when the demand requires it.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark good to see you back. So basically a boostzilla/BBSC design with the M90 as the blower. How hot would the m90 get with 6lbs of boost?

I suspect air temps would be about 100 to 130 F ABOVE ambient. Not desirable but tolerable at these levels. Yea, I was out about 6 years doing my motocross thing. Several broken bones and a ripped ACL later I figured jumping 60 to 80 feet several times a lap leads to pain for this 55 year old man. I wasn't totally ignoring my NSX however, check out my unique dry sump oil system I designed and fabricated, www.mscperformance.com.

Note - the blower in the CAD drawing is the new Eaton TVS1900, the older M90 is smaller. I'll scan the M90 this week and import it into my engine model for comparisons.[/QUOTE]

here's a comparison between the older M90 and new TVS 1900. The M90 displaced about 1500 cc/rev and the newer blower 1900ccs. m90.jpg

Note - the blower in the CAD drawing is the new Eaton TVS1900, the older M90 is smaller. I'll scan the M90 this week and import it into my engine model for comparisons.

here's a comparison between the older M90 and new TVS 1900. The M90 displaced about 1500 cc/rev and the newer blower 1900ccs. View attachment 103176[/QUOTE]

Could you fab a manifold for this charger similar to the comptech manifold?

Bryan

What displacement is your block?

My block has stock displacement, 3000cc, but that's about all that's stock.

- - - Updated - - -

here's a comparison between the older M90 and new TVS 1900. The M90 displaced about 1500 cc/rev and the newer blower 1900ccs. View attachment 103176

Could you fab a manifold for this charger similar to the comptech manifold?

Bryan[/QUOTE]

Yes, a casting would be best for production but for limited runs some machined runners welded to a fabricated plenum would be fine. Personally, I do not like the Comptech design. The runners are WAY to short and the plenum too small for high performance. In the case of a "cheap" blower kit where optimum performance isn't the goal it would push the cost too high. Might as well buy a Comptech kit.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 644
The need to control boost on a properly sized blower system is rarely needed. This is in contrast to most turbo and some centrifugal SCer systems, which if properly sized absolutely need some form of boost control to function correctly.

In the simplest terms, the amount of boost resulting from forced induction is a function of the amount of air provided by the device compared to the amount of air consumed by the engine (its displacement) at a given engine rpm (volumetric efficiency). For example, if at the chosen blower rpm the SCer displaces twice the engine capacity the pressure ratio will be around 2 (14.7 psi of boost).

The output of a positive displacement SCer is very linear and directly proportional to blower rpm. In addition, the NSX has a very flat torque curve, which suggests consistent volumetric efficiency throughout the power band. Therefore, the resulting maximum boost at full throttle should be relatively consistent and self-limiting from low to high rpm. If this level is too high either the blower is too large, it’s spinning too fast, or both. Vise versa for too low boost.

Could excess boost be bled off using a valve of some sort, of course. But why use all that power (HP) and generate all that heat just to waste it all by venting the system? The better engineering approach is to properly design and size the system to start with.

Having said that, the air-bypass valve is a common device found on SCer installations. However, it is not intended to control boost but simply allow air to by-pass the SCer during off boost periods. This reduces the power required to spin the SCer for better fuel economy. The valve is opened by intake manifold vacuum and therefore allows by-pass at part throttle and light loads. The valve closes at some predetermined vacuum level (usually ¾ to full throttle) allowing boost to build in the system when the demand requires it.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect air temps would be about 100 to 130 F ABOVE ambient. Not desirable but tolerable at these levels. Yea, I was out about 6 years doing my motocross thing. Several broken bones and a ripped ACL later I figured jumping 60 to 80 feet several times a lap leads to pain for this 55 year old man. I wasn't totally ignoring my NSX however, check out my unique dry sump oil system I designed and fabricated, www.mscperformance.com.

This makes a lot of sense. im still used to turbos so im learning superchargers now. So technically a well matched supercharger would produce let's say 7 psi at WOT and as the rpms raise is will produce more "air" but stay at the same psi as the engine is on the same linear requirement for air. It being an air pump and all. Do you know what pulley sizes would be good to run 8 psi on our engines with an m90? I know it takes a lot of variables like intake restrictions, intercooler ect but a ball park? And could you just bypass the factory bypass valve and use a BOV? Same concept right?

what are your thoughts on keeping the stock TB for a blower producing maybe 60-80whp? it seems like the biggest point of restriction to me. i too have thought the stock comptech IM has incredibly short runners. i was pondering flipping their blower upside down and build curved runners back into the head. unfortunately the blower was just too wide and the fuel rail placement seemed like to remedy as well.

great thread

This makes a lot of sense. im still used to turbos so im learning superchargers now. So technically a well matched supercharger would produce let's say 7 psi at WOT and as the rpms raise is will produce more "air" but stay at the same psi as the engine is on the same linear requirement for air. It being an air pump and all. Do you know what pulley sizes would be good to run 8 psi on our engines with an m90? I know it takes a lot of variables like intake restrictions, intercooler ect but a ball park? And could you just bypass the factory bypass valve and use a BOV? Same concept right?

Yes, well said. I'd need to measure some of the pulleys I have but a target blower RPM of about 13000 rpm would get you close. I would not suggest running 8 psi without some kind of charge cooling, however. I assume you mean the factory (Eaton) bypass valve found on the later model M90s (not your typical e-bay M90) . . . . no it's not the same as a BOV which is typical of a turbo application. Regulating turbo power-on boost via the BOV is bad practice as it's hard on the engine. The BOV should be activated when the throttle is chopped after boost and the turbo is still spinning very fast which can produce a spike in pressure upstream of the TB. This can cause many problems so the BOV instantly vents the spike. The Blower bypass simply routes air from the TB around the SCer to the intake when boost is not required. By doing so, the HP required to spin the SCer is reduced a bit so you get better fuel economy. If the bypass gets stuck OPEN boost will be reduced so you'll hear people talking about loss of boost in this regard but it's a failure mode.

- - - Updated - - -

what are your thoughts on keeping the stock TB for a blower producing maybe 60-80whp? it seems like the biggest point of restriction to me. i too have thought the stock comptech IM has incredibly short runners. i was pondering flipping their blower upside down and build curved runners back into the head. unfortunately the blower was just too wide and the fuel rail placement seemed like to remedy as well.

great thread

The stock TB is fine for the HP numbers you mentioned. The old Gruppe M system proved this (and it used the stock intake). I agree with your conclusions regarding the "flipped blower". It just won't fit between the runners. If Honda designed the runners more like a "dump port" via F1 it might have been possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark,

U mine as well do the TVS2300 for the NSX. IMHO I think that is the BEST blower for the NSX.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/145169-tvs-vs-twin-screw.html#post2476066

For my design goals, in almost every performance measurement the 1900 outperforms or is at least as good as the 2300 (given same flow and pressure ratios, different blower rpms due to size). It's smaller and lighter and has less inertial loading. I know several people have incorporated SCers of the 2.3 size and I haven't seen anything over 600 RWHP but I could be wrong. Even the newer high helix Eaton’s do not produce a "smooth" flow and still "thump" the air into the engine (a far better cry from the old roots type, however). This uneven flow creates turbulence and aero-acoustics events not unlike those found within an intake runner. Unfortunately, these waves are very difficult to "tune" like an intake runner and usually result in a kind of acoustic impedance, which can restrict flow. A faster spinning SCer should produce a smoother flow (assuming proper discharge port shaping) and have less tendency to create destructive interference to flow. That's another reason I feel the smaller, faster spinning 1900 would be best. I was even considering the TVS1320 (found Down Under) and taking it up to 20k rpm but the thermal efficiency dropped below 60% and I can't find much performance data on this unit.

I noticed that the latest BMW M6 and Bentley Continental GT have V8 engines with twin turbos installed between the 2 banks of cylinders.
This is made possible because the exhaust ports are facing each other inside the V.
Would this be possible with the NSX engine by inverting the back and front cylinder heads?
This arrangement would surely benefit the fitting of a proper intercooler for each cylinder bank:smile:
On the BMW the turbos are fed partly from each bank to ensure equal timing feed for each cylinder.
Brilliant engineering for sure!

any progress made on this?

Yes and no. I've relocated the blower to feed an integrated intercooler and intake manifold I designed. This requires a jack shaft to turn the blower which requires a relocation of the alternator (like a comptech). I'm doing flow analysis on the manifold now.

Attachments

• blower1.jpg
    blower1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 132
  • blower2.jpg
    blower2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 130
  • blower3.jpg
    blower3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 118
...and subscribed... thanks John.

Back