• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NEW PRODUCT! SCW Baffled Breather Oil Catch Can NSX 91-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcing another NEW product we are releasing!

SCW Acura NSX Breather Tank / Oil Catch Can (RAW PROTOTYPE PICTURED BELOW)

We've been working on this for awhile, always looking to draw improvement and aesthetic gains where we can for our product line.

Our tank is crafted by hand from lightweight aircraft-quality aluminum material. Its laser cut and precisely formed to minimize welding surface area. The tank is constructed from only 2 pieces, plus the mounting bracket and baffle plate. The tank is internally baffled to help contain the oil vapor within the tank, unlike many cheaper brand designs which are basically an empty hollow tank…The filter we use is a Dual-Stage Foam, washable air filter. Our tank also features a fill sight level and a handy drain on the bottom side. This is a direct bolt-on for the 91-05 Acura NSX, it mounts directly to the 2 factory 10mm holes on the bulkhead / firewall. This is designed for NA, as well as forced induction applications (Supercharger / Turbo). This type of product is well known in the industry and well proven to eliminate crank case pressure, especially in F/I applications. We sell the tank by itself, or with a fitting & line pack (optional). Designed & made in the USA.

Tank Features:
- TIG Welded Aluminum construction.
- Fluid Sight Level
- Internal Baffle
- Lower Drain Fitting (Or -8 or -10 return fitting to pan)
- (10AN or 8AN) Inlet Fittings x2
- Dual-Stage Foam Air Filter
- Simple Bolt-on design

MSRP: Breather Tank as shown ($415) -
Add Optional Black Pro-Series 8AN or 10AN Hose & Fittings kit for OEM plug & Play ($135) - Available in Black, Black/red, Black/blue Hose PRO Series Hose, or in Stainless Braided Hose 0
If we arrange a bulk production (i.e: group buy, we can get the pricing down $15-20 cheaper on 10+ units)

FOAM FILTER: Available in RED (Standard), BLACK, or YELLOW colors.

FINISHES: Tanks either come RAW as shown (Prototype Pictured), or we can Anodize (Black, Silver) or Powdercoat (Wrinkle Black, Wrinkle Red) at extra cost.

Contact us to order - SCW Performance - [email protected] - www.s2carbonworks.com

_________________________________ installed photos update __________________________________________

This is a -10an fitting kit - with normal drain fitting (not to pan), but with -10an fitting conversion on the valve covers.

DSC_0067_zpsls5anz7k.jpg

DSC_0068_zps7rifugqi.jpg

DSC_0069_zpsjkrclyzk.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

DSC_0017_zpsflquzynd.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsa2bj9bxr.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsbmgg3xwg.jpg

DSC_0013_zpsm3vdobyd.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsjafy3jtr.jpg

DSC_0016_zpslz3d91sl.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsgsukt0fo.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsoj4yov31.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsszkkrrqx.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really good. I love options and you guys keep coming out with new stuff. Keep up the good work.

Ideally do you want the baffle to be in between the inlet and outlet and also the inlet and outlet to be on different sides?

The 2 fittings you see are both inlets, not inlet/outlet... I think you were confused by our design since its unique.
The filtered area IS the OUTLET.
The fittings connect to hoses that are routed from the valve covers. There is a large baffle between the fittings and the filter. Rather than using an ugly restricting hose barb filter, the red filter pictured allows much better ventilation.

- - - Updated - - -

The air entering the breather tank has to pass though the baffle in order to exit the filter. Now you get it :)

Oh yes. I guess what I'm saying is wouldn't it be better if they were on opposite sides? Eventually one does suck and does cycle back into the valve covers depending on pvc valves and such.

But what I'm saying is since there is that chance of the fumes making a direct U turn being filtered are directly next to each other it's not as optimal since there's no baffle in between. Therefore when there is negative pressure it won't be baffled since

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but with this type of thing I'm cautious since I blew a motor before and it reason was crankcase pressure from an undetermined source, and I had a catch can as well.

But there are times when the engine will suck in vapors. Maybe minor but judging by your reaction and answer it seems as if it would never be but is possible. Please read Vegas explanation of things here on reply #22

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/154972-Oil-catch-can

Last edited:
What catch can did you have at that time? Was it sealed, and ran back to the engine?

On our design, nothing makes a u turn because nothing goes back to the engine. Once the vapor leaves the engine, there's nothing else that goes back. In our experience this is the best design, call it "returnless". In this, the factory PCV is removed, and replaced with a 1/2" hose fitting. The nipple on the manifold is capped off. The front valve cover actually has no PCV, it's basically open all the time, so we are essentially making 2 connections equal from front to rear.
I had a spare set of covers, took them all the way apart and even cut the fitting in half to examine. The front cover doesn't utilize PCV from Honda.

the one person that chimed in, who blew his motor, blames the failure of a OEM PCV valve, which caused the rear head to exhibit overly high pressure because the PCV was a blockage. In our design, we eliminate the PCV totally. No future failures caused by such a small part. PCV is not needed or recommended with our product. Our lines will increase the ability of evacuating pressure since they are larger than OEM, which is desperately needed for F/I setups.

Last edited:
I think a common underlying cause is the failure of the factory PCV, once it gets clogged with oil the spring starts sticking and eventually blocks the flow of air, thus increasing the crankcase pressure since it can't escape.

Second to that, the SOS design is on the poor side to say the least. The Main issue I see with that unit is that they rely on a single tiny side air filter to vent, when they have 2 larger lines for the incoming air. 1 small outlet can't keep up with 2 inlet lines pumping constantly. At a minimum their outlet needs to be 1" diameter or larger to adequately vent the pressure, it's just too small. It's basically choking the engine at that bottle neck.

With our tank, the outlet side is 5x larger surface area than the incoming air pressure.
It is physically impossible for there to be a restriction in our design, no matter how much air is coming from the engine.

Last edited:
A few of these are in production, we are also offering an option for an oil-pan drain back feature.

Here is the prototype installed, and working perfectly! I've done a few hours of dyno time, as well as aggressive driving on the street and I have no complaints :)

The product fits perfect, looks great, and I'm positive its doing its job well. Enjoy!

DSC_0069_zpsjkrclyzk.jpg

DSC_0068_zps7rifugqi.jpg

DSC_0067_zpsls5anz7k.jpg

Feel free to email [email protected] or call the shop to order your breather tank today!

Available as just the tank only, and a variety of options.

UP.

All orders shipped!

Who have bought one of these? Can you post quick review?

I noticed hose length for front cover is very short and won't flex enough stressing fittings on both ends. While tank end can take the beating I wonder what happens to the other end (valve cover) over long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back