• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Technical Details of the Next Generation Acura NSX Revealed

Perhaps we shall be surprised by the weight? The battery capacity has been described to only be able to go 1-2 miles at a time on quiet mode unlike the other plugins.

Haven't heard of it before in relation to heavy track use. I do know of a few exceptional cases but i think these were very early cars and the engines were replaced under warranty. You get individual engines especially when hand built that use more oil than others but nothing like to the extent you described.

seen it myself, watched the mechanics pour a whole quart in and then some. and the back of the cars looked like old diesels.

Perhaps we shall be surprised by the weight? The battery capacity has been described to only be able to go 1-2 miles at a time on quiet mode unlike the other plugins.

I think if the weight was going to be lower than expected, we would have heard of it by now. as far as we know, with the state of current technology the batteries on these cars are still pretty heavy...

"Other" plugins?

You mean, unlike the plugins?

Yes, I lumped it in with *hybrids too quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone seen this Australian article?

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/sports/honda/nsx/type-r-treatment-for-honda-nsx-50907

Rumors claim the weight to be between 3500-3700 lbs, so 3,600 lbs probably which is reasonable in sense.

Honda tweaking power nearing 600 hp at 7200 rpm.

The Type R supposedly will weigh in at 3400 lbs, which would be exceptional!

I'd take it with a grain of salt, but maybe they know something others do not?

2018 release date for the Type R, that might be a new goal to aim for

Yes, I lumped it in with *hybrids too quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone seen this Australian article?

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/sports/honda/nsx/type-r-treatment-for-honda-nsx-50907

Rumors claim the weight to be between 3500-3700 lbs, so 3,600 lbs probably which is reasonable in sense.

Honda tweaking power nearing 600 hp at 7200 rpm.

The Type R supposedly will weigh in at 3400 lbs, which would be exceptional!

I'd take it with a grain of salt, but maybe they know something others do not?

Unfortunately that article is full of assumptions the AU price will be closer to $350k+ not $200k au.

2018 release date for the Type R, that might be a new goal to aim for

The whole type R thing really annoys me.

Why do I want to dump a load of money on this car in the full expectation that a higher performance version is coming. It's meant to be a high performance car already yet before it's even released we expect a version that will make it second best.

^Why does it annoy you? The NSX is a sportscar, and the R will be a track - focused special/faster version. Buy the new one or save your money if the higher performing variant is what you want.

The whole type R thing really annoys me.Why do I want to dump a load of money on this car in the full expectation that a higher performance version is coming. It's meant to be a high performance car already yet before it's even released we expect a version that will make it second best.

Every other manufacturer does this so why single out Honda?
Ferrari has been putting out special edition models of their cars forever.
Don't understand your point at all.

Not every manufacturer. You've quoted ferrari. They are quite a special equivalent to be quoting.

They didn't mention the speciale before the 458 was released. We know they arrive towards the end of the production cycle, typically to help shift the last of the old stock. That's not the same as we are seeing here. We are talking about a hot version before the cold version has been driven by anyone outside honda.

When buying something somewhere between super and hypercar you want to know that you get to be special for some amount of time. That's not going to happen here.

Not every manufacturer. You've quoted ferrari. They are quite a special equivalent to be quoting.

They didn't mention the speciale before the 458 was released. We know they arrive towards the end of the production cycle, typically to help shift the last of the old stock. That's not the same as we are seeing here. We are talking about a hot version before the cold version has been driven by anyone outside honda.

When buying something somewhere between super and hypercar you want to know that you get to be special for some amount of time. That's not going to happen here.

Honda hasn't mentioned a Type R either.
When a new 911 comes out, a GT3 version later on is a given these days.
When a new Corvette comes out, a Z06 version later on is a given.

Not every manufacturer. You've quoted Ferrari.

Perhaps not every single manufacturer but pretty much all of them have offered special edition models of a base car from their line-up.
Ferrari has offered the 488 and you know for certain there will be a special 488 at some point.
That's no reason not to buy a 488 is it?

Porsche has offered special editions as has McLaren, Lamborghini Bugatti, Jaguar, Aston Martin etc.
Honda has been making Type-r models for a long time.
Everyone knows the special models will be coming announced or unannounced

When you buy your base NSX you will have one of say 1500-2000 made for all the world to enjoy.
In the UK you'll have one of a hundred.
That's not special enough?

Adamantium obviously has his eye set on a new NSX and is already defending his future purchase. Not sure about a lot of his posts though....

Perhaps not every single manufacturer but pretty much all of them have offered special edition models of a base car from their line-up.
Ferrari has offered the 488 and you know for certain there will be a special 488 at some point.
That's no reason not to buy a 488 is it?

Porsche has offered special editions as has McLaren, Lamborghini Bugatti, Jaguar, Aston Martin etc.
Honda has been making Type-r models for a long time.
Everyone knows the special models will be coming announced or unannounced

When you buy your base NSX you will have one of say 1500-2000 made for all the world to enjoy.
In the UK you'll have one of a hundred.
That's not special enough?

All valid points, I stand corrected.

In fact, even the 918 which is hyper car money gives you the $100k option of the weissach edition.

Just annoys me but I guess I need to get over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Adamantium obviously has his eye set on a new NSX and is already defending his future purchase. Not sure about a lot of his posts though....

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here. I'm not defending my purchase, I thought I was attacking it.

what billy is saying is you are spending a lot of typing time based on a future purchase......do you see me posting endlessly on my future purchase of the new nsx?

Maybe I have a lot of time on my hands?

I can't drive the thing yet, only anticipate, and I thought this was a place for people to share their thoughts on the car.

I feel quite unwelcome here, not something I've ever experienced before on a car forum.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Everyone on here tend to be pretty cool people. I wasn't quite sure about your issue with the "Type R". As others have said, every brand has a higher performing version of their performance car, often announced/speculated/or assumed before said car is released. Ex. 911-GT3-GT3 RS, Turbo-Turbo S-GT2, Mercedes AMG GT-GT-S, etc... Buy whatever makes you happy, I think we all want the new NSX to be faster than the GTR in every way, and from its mid-engine layout, it should have quite a few inherent advantages.

I can't drive the thing yet, only anticipate, and I thought this was a place for people to share their thoughts on the car.

I feel quite unwelcome here, not something I've ever experienced before on a car forum.

Prime is a great place but its still the internet,so nothing I or anyone else types should upset you enough to feel unwelcome ...stand your ground if you feel strongly about something but at the end of the day we are only human...

Try to not equate a difference of opinion to being disliked or being unwelcome.
Do know that strong opinions or feelings tend to get strong opposing feelings....true in general in life as well :)

I am sure that our fellow primers are first rate guys but I must admit that when I saw Doc's response, I thought: Ouch! Who hijacked his Prime account?

I am sure that our fellow primers are first rate guys but I must admit that when I saw Doc's response, I thought: Ouch! Who hijacked his Prime account?

lol ...no hijacks, just little old me.....:redface:

I am not optimistic about the reliability if the technology is derived from their F1 program. Every race this year either at practice, qualifying or race was shortened due to electrical issues.

Maybe I have a lot of time on my hands? I can't drive the thing yet, only anticipate, and I thought this was a place for people to share their thoughts on the car.

There are a number of us, like docjohn and yourself, who have the new NSX on order.
The production issue hasn't been finalized yet so no one knows the final performance specs, the handling and braking, the ergonomics etc.
Despite all these unknowns you've spent a lot of time posting about how you're going to change the engine power by using better turbos, how the NSX should be this or that etc.etc.

From my view I've put my money down and looking forward to see what Honda offers as the base NSX.
I mean what's the point of talking about turbo mods or 0-60 times when we don't know what the base car is.

As far as a Type-R version, I fully expect there'll be one in a few years along with other versions.
It necessary to keep the car fresh and in demand and help Honda recoup the major investment in this car.
Kind of inappropriate to expect Honda to spend hundreds of millions on a small volume car then complain about them offering a special version.

Perhaps you may find more favor by holding your criticism and mods until we all know what we're talking about.

Back