• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New (to me at least) air compressor...

M-P

Experienced Member
I posted this on another forum, but figured I would post it here as well. I'm just excited :D.

I used to have an old CH compressor that was complete junk, so I decided I needed something new. I put myself on a strict budget, but I did have a few prerequisites this time around...

1) Had to put out at least 5 SCFM @ 90psi
2) Had to have at least 20 gal tank that held at least 130psi max pressure
3) Needed to have an oil lubricated (not maintenance free) air pump
4) Had to run on 120VAC
5) Had to be vertical standing with tires

After browsing the normal stores (Sears, Northern Tool, Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc), I checked Craigslist and found my new tool. It's a Kobalt (Lowe's Brand) 30gal compressor with a siezed air pump that I picked up today for $95. Sourced a new pump for $155 shipped too, so at the end of the day, I got a $430 compressor for $250 that needed just a little bit of work....and it is in incredible condition. Anyway, here are the specs and a picture of the new addition.

Tank Size: 30-Gallon
Pump: Belt Driven Cast Iron V-Twin - Oil Lubricated
Motor: 120/240 VAC (1.6HP Running)
Max Pressure: 155 psi
Flow: 5.3 SCFM @ 90 psi | 6.2 SCFM @ 40 psi:

Will be ordering the new pump tomorrow, so I can get this thing running. I know it isn't the best, but its hard to beat for $250 if you ask me (hell from what I hear, even at $430 retail it's an incredible value).

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0936.jpg
    DSC_0936.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Yeah...list of the "big" tools now in my garage now (hand/power tools list is too extensive to list)

- Hobart MIG Welder
- 10 Ton Hydraulic Press
- Engine Hoist
- Engine Stand
- Kobalt 30 Gallon Compressor

I would really like to get a couple of bench grinders (one with a grinding wheel/wire wheel and the other with a buffing wheel/3M deburring wheel), a drill press, vertical band saw, and a nice 6" vise. Then my dream (in my next house, when I have more room) is to have a decent tabletop lathe, mill, big parts washer, TIG welder, and sand blast cabinet.

Back