• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Tool - Google "Presentation"

nice. :) my friend designed that and sold it to google.

Interesting, but this would be a lot more useful if the collaborative tools operated in a secure internal network. Quite frankly, most of the people who would be working on collaborative presentations are probably at corporations and dealing with sensitive information that they don't want accidentally leaked out. The mechanism they propose is easy to use, but isn't particularly secure. That's too bad because I'm working on something right now that could really benefit from this...

Interesting, but this would be a lot more useful if the collaborative tools operated in a secure internal network. Quite frankly, most of the people who would be working on collaborative presentations are probably at corporations and dealing with sensitive information that they don't want accidentally leaked out. The mechanism they propose is easy to use, but isn't particularly secure. That's too bad because I'm working on something right now that could really benefit from this...

I'm not an IT person, but I'm assuming your talking about some back end security issues right? Because you have control over who "collaborates" on your presentation etc.

If you have any suggestions to make it better for people in your situation, you can either post it here, or PM me if you would like. My brother works there and can give the suggestion directly to the team or an individual if that is the case.

Microsoft Groove is a pretty good (and secure) collaboration tool. It comes as part of Office 2007 Pro. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have anything specific to presentation collaboration. It's easy enough to share files and as one person updates it, it automatically updates the copy on everyone elses shared Groove space, but there's no way to work on it at the same time. There is a drawing tool everyone can use at once, but that's sort of lame.

I'm not an IT person, but I'm assuming your talking about some back end security issues right? Because you have control over who "collaborates" on your presentation etc.

If you have any suggestions to make it better for people in your situation, you can either post it here, or PM me if you would like. My brother works there and can give the suggestion directly to the team or an individual if that is the case.

We did quite a bit of testing today and just a few thoughts:

- larger documents/presentations run very slowly

- why can a presentation viewer skip ahead during the presentation -- can that be turned off?

- only web-safe fonts could be used -- most companies have specific fonts/templates for their presentations

- inviting people to view the presentation was often clunky

- refreshes didn't alway happend and you'd have to completely refresh or close/reopen the browser.

- sensitive information would be an information for most, especially when to share the doc is a public URL -- or you just have to create an account to use. Perhaps "users" could be created or something? And setup read/write permissions. Maybe this is in there, but we didn't notice other than the basic collaborate/view settings.

- is there any way to share a web browser/URL or desktop --- looking for a webex replacement here so I'm sure that is a much larger undertaking

For a beta it's great but these are a few issues we noted.

Most of google's tools are aimed at small businesses, and work perfect for them.

Cost, ease of use, and being able to collaborate remotely are important. Trust me. :)

+1

in between personal activities, i consult to a number of emerging software companies and their associated business partners.

being a small shop, i like the idea of free, but given the nature of the materials we work on together, i don't feel that i can use tools such as these.

i don't claim to be a hacker-level technologist, so am open to enlightenment wrt using google tools.

hal

Back