• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Tour of the AMP Track in North GA 4/7/12

Atlanta Motorsports Park - Dawsonville, Georgia 9:15AM

I have been in communication with Burt over at AMP and he invited the NSX Club to come out to view the new AMP track.

header_home.jpg

1. ARFNSX - Alex
2. JL Coolman - Jason
3. NSX-Barque - Dennis
4. Michl_Moto - Michael
5. JadeCrewNSX - Russell
6. Subliminal - Eric
7. OKI-BOY - Todd
8. XLR8ER - Mike Z
9. Steve Grenleski
10. Mihai Balica
11. Accel Junky
12. NSXNTOP - Sev

Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP) is a road course designed by famed Formula One architects, Hermann Tilke. He is the architect who designed most of the F1 tracks in Europe. First of his designs here in the US.

AMP is a private members only Country Club for cars. AMPs heart will be a 2-mile road course with elevation changes, technical course layout, high speed straights and two ‘signature’ corners designed to pay homage to famed European race courses; Belgium’s Spa-Francochamps and the iconic ‘Carousel’ from Germany’s Nürburgring. Incorporating these most famous and exciting of all of motorsports only hints at the lengths

3d.gif

Burt, founding member at AMP has offered us one of the next three Saturday to come out for a tour.

5 of us drove on this track last week and I must say it is quite technical with blind corners and negative braking zones.

Let me know who is interested.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xTs9w2aZQD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Burt, founding member at AMP has offered us one of the next three Saturday to come out for a tour.

Oh really? I've been waiting for AMP to open up for years. I know my good friend Andy was an instructor at Road Atlanta for some guy in an NSX that has ties with the founders group of AMP, would that be you?

This may be a little too short notice for me to make it as I also have a track event coming up next weekend as well. Very excited to hear that this is turning into a reality.

Oh really? I've been waiting for AMP to open up for years. I know my good friend Andy was an instructor at Road Atlanta for some guy in an NSX that has ties with the founders group of AMP, would that be you?

This may be a little too short notice for me to make it as I also have a track event coming up next weekend as well. Very excited to hear that this is turning into a reality.

Yes, Finally!!

This track was supposed to be open in 2011 but set backs have delayed it almost one year. I was out there last week and I have to say I am impressed and look forward to being on this track.

Sorry for the short notice but I just got the email yesterday.

... a good excuse to get together for a drive to N.Ga. Maria and I won't be available though, we'll be in Europe for a highly-anticipated trip to Nurburgring and Spa-Francorchamps....

I've toured AMP numerous times in the past year, for planning and preparation for the first big track event that will occur there, Chin Motorsports on April 28-29. We'll be among the very first drivers to get to do live hot laps there!

I should be able to do this any one of those weekends. Just let me know which one as soon as y'all decide so I can get preemptive with my scheming wife. :biggrin:

I just read somewhere that the track has a strict sound limit of 98db. Looks like I won't be able to step on it anywhere near that place.

Last edited:
What time and how long would the tour go Alex?

We've already got plans that Saturday night, so if the tour happens in the morning or afternoon we could probably make it.

Hey Guys,

Do a double check on the time with them first We are in founding members group and have received a "possible" soft lap heads up for the 7th at 10:00 AM. It would be terrific to see fellow NSX owners.

BTW...is "Andy" Andrew who runs a recovered Integra?

BTW...is "Andy" Andrew who runs a recovered Integra?

Yeah that's him. I know he instructed somebody in an NSX @ RA with strong ties to AMP, he told me about it earlier this year. I'm real good friends with that hooligan. We'll be driving CMP that Friday that you guys are touring. I may wait for one of the actual full openings as AMP is a 7 hour haul for me.

What time and how long would the tour go Alex?

We've already got plans that Saturday night, so if the tour happens in the morning or afternoon we could probably make it.

It will probably be a morning tour. I would like it as early as possible. I emailed AMP to see what is the earliest they can do it. I will post the time later today.

Response from AMP

Great, can we say 9:15 on Saturday the 7th as we have a big event starting at 11:00 and I want to make sure I have adequate time for you guys before everyone starts showing up for the event. Would love to have you guys take part in the event as well so feel free to stay, I put the details below. What I would do for your tour is a short 20 minute overview and some q&a followed by slow laps around the track for everyone, should be a good time. The only caveat to getting on the track would be if we were paving our top coat, which is our final step before opening, otherwise we will do the laps around the track.

This is the info on the event. It was sent out to our members but we are free to have guests, hope you guys can stay around:

Good morning,
We are getting so very close to what you have all been anxiously, and patiently, waiting for. We would like to invite you, and any friends who may have been on the fence about joining, to come up on Saturday April 7th from 11am-1pm. Although not quite ready for hot laps, we will let you do a couple of soft laps - meaning you can't rip it up quite yet!! Roy Mallady has a couple of his racing champion friends coming up and thought you might want the opportunity to meet them.

Scott Pruitt - Rolex Champion, LFA Lexus
Andrew Davis - Brumos Racing, GT Porsche

We will have burgers/dogs/drinks/etc. for all of you. And if you haven't been up lately you will be very pleased with the progress. You can actually drive across the bridge now!! In another couple of weeks we should be ready for the Member Day Hot Laps Opening. We will let you know when that is as soon as we can. And rest assured that we will not let any club or group have access to the track for hot laps before you get that chance. You are our most important asset and we want to make sure you never doubt that.

Please rsvp back to me if you can make it and the number of people, both family and friends, coming with you. i do need to know by April 3rd so we can make sure the food/drinks are in order.

We are so looking forward to our official opening and this will serve to give you a small taste of what you have to look forward to in the coming weeks.

ARRRGG!!:mad: Why can't it be on Sunday? I have 2 events planned with work on Saturday :frown:

Tim, I am about to come there and steal your car. It deserves to be driven!

Please Count me IN...

I will re-arrange whatever my wife has planned for me next weekend! Thx

XLR8ER - Mike Z

Hey Mike, I have placed you on the list. See you on Saturday!

I think we are going to meet in Marietta and drive North on the 575 from there.

I would like to know who wants to meet in Marietta at 8am and who wants to meet at the track.

The Track address is Atlanta Motorsports Park 20 Duck Thurmond Road, Dawsonville, GA 30534.

Most GPSs pull up the address

Thanks

I think we are going to meet in Marietta and drive North on the 575 from there.

I would like to know who wants to meet in Marietta at 8am and who wants to meet at the track.

The Track address is Atlanta Motorsports Park 20 Duck Thurmond Road, Dawsonville, GA 30534.

Most GPSs pull up the address

Thanks

I've gotta come through Marietta anyways (live in Powder Springs) so I'm Ok with that.

Alex,
Let me know where in Marietta and I'll join you there at 8 or 7:55 if you think that is better.

For those who would like to meet in Marietta, the time will be 7:45AM with a 8:00AM departure.

We will meet at the Quiktrip on Cobb Parkway one mile north of the Big Chicken

Quiktrip
671 N. Cobb Parkway
Marietta, Georgia 30062

Otherwise, the address to the track is:

Atlanta Motorsports Park
20 Duck Thurmond Road
Dawsonville, GA 30534

Please be at the track by 9am.

From Marietta QT, the drive will be 45-50 minutes.

How many people will be at the QT that morning so I know how many to expect?

Marietta @ 7:45am
1. Alex
2. Todd
3. Dennis
4. Accel Junky
5. Jason

Last edited:
I really am envious of you guys. Isn't this a members only track?

I really am envious of you guys. Isn't this a members only track?

Yes, this is a private members only track. So far they have 135 members and I would like to increase that number with additional NSX owners :wink:

We will try to make as many photos as possible

Great time at AMP today... Friendly staff and quite a track.
(Sorry my tire blow out reduced everybodys lap count.)

What a Fantastic Group of NSX Folks ...
Everybody stopped and volunteered to help get me back on the road.

Very Special Thanks to Jason and Alex for offering their tools and spare tire!

THANK YOU Atlanta NSXers !!!

Back