• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New wheels! What do you think?

Decided to step down from my 18/19" Work Varianza T1S and try out a set of 17/18s for a change. What do you guys think of the new wheels? I think they came out pretty nice. . .

Details to come. :biggrin:
CIMG0139.jpg

CIMG0140.jpg

CIMG0141.jpg

CIMG0142.jpg

CIMG0143.jpg

CIMG0144.jpg

So I've been in the market for a set of 17/18s that:
1) Look good
2) most people don't have
3) are relatively light
4) are relatively inexpensive (planning for a wedding)
5) fit right

I went back and forth with the Enkei PF01, RPF1 and a few other Work wheels, but most either didn't fit right, were too expensive, or were somewhat heavy.

I found these and decided to jump on them because they fit all the bills.
1) I think they look good
2) I haven't seen anyone on them yet
3) 20lbs for the front, 23 lbs for the rear (so not too bad)
4) the set cost $460 shipped (not including tires, of course)!! :eek::eek:
5) I like the concave rear (the Enkei PF01 has the same flat face both front & rear)

They are XXR Wheels, model 522 in Chromium Black. Size is 17x8 +48 (probably going to add a 5mm spacer for slightly more flushness), and 18x9.5 +38. Tires are Dunlop Z1 Star Spec 215/40/17, 265/35/18

--------------

This is what I temporarily replaced, Work Varianza's 18/19
IMG_05172.jpg

Last edited:
I do REALLY like the color!

I don't know if I like how the spokes stick out...

I do REALLY like the color!

I don't know if I like how the spokes stick out...

I decided to get this color, Chromium Black, after debating on just flat black. I'm glad I opt'd for it!

Yeah, they're a curb accident waiting to happen! Haha. . and I just realized that it's cheaper to buy a new wheel at $101 than to have one refinished. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I found these and decided to jump on them because they fit all the bills.
1) I think they look good
2) I haven't seen anyone on them yet
3) 20lbs for the front, 23 lbs for the rear (so not too bad)
4) the set cost $460 shipped (not including tires, of course)!! :eek::eek:
5) I like the concave rear (the Enkei PF01 has the same flat face both front & rear)

They are XXR Wheels, model 522 in Chromium Black. Size is 17x8 +48 (probably going to add a 5mm spacer for slightly more flushness), and 18x9.5 +38. Tires are Dunlop Z1 Star Spec 215/40/17, 265/35/18

--------------

Wow - I really like those and they look great on your car!

I looked briefly online... but do you mind sharing where you purchased them from please? I couldn't get near that price.

Thank you,

Dave

I think he missed a zero. The color looks wild, probably would look better on a black car but it looks great.

You're right I did miss a zero. . . In fact I missed two of them! Price was $460.00 shipped for the set (actually I kind of lied. . it was really $459, but I rounded up) :biggrin:

Just going to post this info from a PM I just sent. .
Purchased them from:
http://discounttires.com/

Link to the 522s
http://discounttires.com/detail_wheels.php?productTypeID=1418&finish_category=CHROME

I ordered them over the phone and spoke to David (x409) and he was extremely helpful.

They're based out of Anahiem so they got to me on the 2nd day and the transaction went really smooth as far as I could tell.

A few minor notes though. They only sell the wheels, nothing else. You will need to source "Tuner" lugs, valve stems, and hubrings since the wheels have a 73mm centerbore. America's Tire/Discount Tire (not the same company) was able to supply those items for me because I purchased the tires through them, so it wasn't a big deal.

Overall I say awesome bang for your buck! Aggressive look and yet very reasonably priced. Only thing that bothers me is the spokes sticking out past the wheels, rota's do that a lot to achieve the super concave look.

Nice find though :cool:

I've looked at these before and like them, but the weight needs to be considered. They are also offered in 19" sizes for any of you who may want to size up.

I've looked at these before and like them, but the weight needs to be considered. They are also offered in 19" sizes for any of you who may want to size up.

The 17" wheel is on par with the factory rear 17" wheel (~20.8 lbs for the OEM 17x8.5" rear of the '94-'01 wheels), which is pretty good IMO, especially for a $101 wheel.:redface:

As for doing the 18"/19" combo, it's not as ideal because the front would have to be a 18x8.5" (there's no smaller widths). It technically could be done, but there will be tons of stretch on a 215/35/18 tire.

Does the rear weigh roughly 25 lbs or less? That's about the average weight for 18x9.5. It's not bad for the price. I wished it did not have the extra 5 holes, but I think I may be able to deal with it.

Why didn't you go with 17x8 35mm in the front to be more flush?

Does the rear weigh roughly 25 lbs or less? That's about the average weight for 18x9.5. It's not bad for the price. I wished it did not have the extra 5 holes, but I think I may be able to deal with it.

Why didn't you go with 17x8 35mm in the front to be more flush?

The front 17x8" weighs 20 lbs and the rear 18x9.5 weighs 23 lbs.

One of the main reasons for getting these wheels was for drivability. To me the perfect offset is ~+38 on a 8" wheel, so I contacted XXR about the +35 offset and the possibility of shaving 3-4mm off the back. They highly discouraged it. I didn't want to risk the structural rigidity of the wheel by machining this cheap set, especially since no one has had any experience with the quality of the wheels.

I also suspect the face of the +35mm is also more concave. The more flat face of the +48 gives a slightly better contrast with the rear which looks better IMO. :smile:

What you have already is very nice, black wheels never look good imo.

I'm keeping both. Right now I'm trying to decide which wheels to rock to NSXPO in Vegas! So many tough decisions. :biggrin:

Love the new ones. Not so sure about the old ones. ;)

The new wheels give your car an understated meanness. I'd rock those at NSXPO proudly, if I were you.

Back