• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new windshield price / questions?

yo

Registered Member
i need to replace the windshield in my 91. i don't want to turn in a claim to insurance, but rather pay myself. here are my questions:

1) what should the windshield cost? (as a part)
2) should i have a dealer do it? (somewhat worried about poor quality install)
3) what should the entire job cost?
4) i thought i read something about changing the 'seals' when replacing the windshield. Where can i read more about this? any more info?

ryan

?

I had recently went to a autobile glass windshield repair shop and was quoted 225.00 here in TX installed +tax. Was told also since i Have a star shaped rock chip on my windshield that it would take 15 minutes to repair and 25.00 for the cost. Repairing this would prevent it from spreading over time.

hope this helped. Dealer replacement is expensive.

I had to have my windshield replaced too (gotta love living in Colorado). The dealer told me the windshield was a special order part, and quoted me over $800! I called Elite Auto Glass, and they actually had a windshield in stock. I can't remember the price I paid but I think it was around $200 - I'll look it up tonight and post the actual cost.

The installer came to my work, and had actually done an NSX before.

All in all, I was impressed with Elite.

good luck,

I would do a search on "Windshield". This topic is well covered here. I think "Safelite" was a highly recommended company.

FYI: The OEM glass is thinner then typical non-OEM replacement. So it is heavier, which is good and bad, since it also means it is more likely to get cracked when a rock hits it.

HTH,
LarryB

Ditto what others have said.

Make sure you either get an OEM (Honda) windshield, or a high-quality aftermarket brand. Do a search and read the FAQ to find out which brands are recommended. Don't get a poor-quality windshield or you will regret it.

I would suggest having the work done by a quality glass shop, using the OEM Honda brand rubber molding, rather than by a dealer.

If you are replacing it because of a chip, you may be able to get it repaired, as synergy004 did. You can read more about windshield repair on the Novus website here. Novus is a brand that performs such repairs and has repair people located all over the country.

I would do a search on "Windshield". This topic is well covered here. I think "Safelite" was a highly recommended company.

thanks for the search idea:rolleyes:

and safelite is NOT recommended!

FYI: The OEM glass is thinner then typical non-OEM replacement. So it is heavier, which is good and bad, since it also means it is more likely to get cracked when a rock hits it.

i have read this statement 3 or 4 times. it makes no sense! i read OEM is 'thicker' & heavier, as apposed thinner and heavier. thinner and heavier? uh.....:confused:

Do a search and read the FAQ to find out which brands are recommended.

i have used the search, and the FAQ sucks when it comes to windshield. sorry. the 'latest' info is more than 4 years old and mentions 2 brands. The last two items are about integras?:rolleyes:

So far i have '$200 replacement is fine' to 'it cost me $800'.?

I am looking for something better than this....

ryan

Larry Bastanza[/i] [B]FYI: The OEM glass is thinner then typical non-OEM replacement. So it is heavier[/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by yo said:
i have read this statement 3 or 4 times. it makes no sense! i read OEM is 'thicker' & heavier, as apposed thinner and heavier. thinner and heavier? uh.....:confused:
When I read Larry's statement, I assumed that the "it" in the second sentence refers to the typical non-OEM glass. So what he was saying is, OEM is thinner, non-OEM is thicker and heavier.

yo said:
I am looking for something better than this....
If you want quality, buy an OEM Honda windshield. You can't go wrong.

And stop complaining about the advice that people are giving you. :rolleyes: People are trying to help you by giving you information in response to your question. You can't expect everyone to have the same opinion or experience.

RSO 34 - $1016.54 woah!!!

ok, now i have '$200 is ok' to '$1016.54 is better'. congratulations, you have the most expensive nsx windshield i have found.

was this done at the dealership?

ryan

yo said:
ok, now i have '$200 is ok' to '$1016.54 is better'. congratulations, you have the most expensive nsx windshield i have found.
Do you really expect people to help you when you display such hostility towards those who offer to share information about their own experiences with you?

i guess my sense of humor is not coming through:) you should see me when i am hostile!

after being a member of this site for 2+ years, i find the information about this topic widespread, to say the least. i am a big fan of the search function and using the faq first. However, i am getting tired of 'try searching' and 'use the faq', it seems to be a common answer anymore. i really enjoy others experiences and 'new' information. the faq is good, but it is outdated and since the search is broken, not very user friendly. i think i have read the entire faq at least twice, now i am always wondering, 'where was that?'.

if anyone has taken me to be hostile, rude or anything else, please forgive me. i guess i found it ironic that someone can get 40+ posts about wheel spacers, but not much on something EVERY nsx has and will eventually probably replace...

ryan

nsxtasy- it seems we are on different pages. i usually find your posts educational, correct, and applicable. i realize you post a lot, which means you read a lot, which means lots o repetition.

don't you find this price discrepancy strange?

yo said:
don't you find this price discrepancy strange?
Not really. Aftermarket parts are often less expensive than OEM. The only difference from other parts is that not every part is available on an aftermarket basis. Windshields are, because they are relatively easy to manufacture, and are frequently replaced, so it is worthwhile for aftermarket companies to make them (just like you can get aftermarket oil filters, or brake pads). And they do not have to meet the same quality standards as OEM manufacturers do. As a result, aftermarket quality will vary. Some windshields might be just as good as OEM, while others might not. Part of what you are paying for when you get OEM is that you don't undertake the risk that quality won't be as good as OEM.

If you want the absolute assurance of quality, you spend more for OEM. If you want to accept the risk that the windshield quality might not be as good as OEM, then go for the cheap one.

If you want the absolute assurance of quality, you spend more for OEM. If you want to accept the risk that the windshield quality might not be as good as OEM, then go for the cheap one.

i agree with you on this point, but >$800 for an installed windshield? just like everything, there has to be a happy medium, i am trying to find that price/brand/install company/etc.

ponder this one batman: an OEM windshield is installed by an average installer. the price ends up being >$500. Is the customer going to be happy? take the same customer and change the glass to average and the installer to quality/professional. cost is now <$500 Now is the customer happy?

there is more to this question than 'which' windshield

yo said:
ponder this one batman: an OEM windshield is installed by an average installer. the price ends up being >$500. Is the customer going to be happy? take the same customer and change the glass to average and the installer to quality/professional. cost is now <$500 Now is the customer happy?
Whether the customer is happy may depend on how much he knows about the cost of the windshield, how much he cares about its optical quality, and how observant he is of any distortion in poor-quality glass. Some people might judge their happiness only on price. Others might only judge it on quality. What makes one person happy, might make another person unhappy. That's why there are different products, which vary in price and quality.

yo said:
there is more to this question than 'which' windshield
Yes, you asked four questions, and it seems to me that all four have been answered...

ken, i think i see why you have 11xxx posts. now that i know your opinion (repetitively), is there anyone else who has an experience or thought they might like to share?

anyone?

please?

yo said:
ken, i think i see why you have 11xxx posts. now that i know your opinion (repetitively), is there anyone else who has an experience or thought they might like to share?

anyone?

please?
I think Ken along with others have given you the best advice. Personally I would go with OEM with member discount. Surely you use the best Oil and Filter etc for your NSX so why squander over a windshield.:confused:

Surely you use the best Oil and Filter etc for your NSX so why squander over a windshield.

i think this is comparing apples to oranges. the difference between 'bad' oil and the 'best' oil is a few dollars per quart, same goes for the filter. the difference between a 'bad' window and the 'best' is over $800.

right now i carry a $500 deductible on comprehensive. i am assuming this is a similar figure for lots of nsx's. based upon the discrepancy in price, i have no idea what my best option is.

using the search (before this thread was even started) function yielded similar results. some people decided to drop the ~800 on the dealer and OEM, others have kept it in the ~200-300 range and seem happy.

if this is my answer or best advice, maybe i didn't word the questions right? now that i have poked fun at ken, i will probably be shunned by the masses:p

AKUDOU said:
I think Ken along with others have given you the best advice.
And have gotten repeatedly attacked and insulted by yo for doing so.

Originally posted by yo
i think this is comparing apples to oranges. the difference between 'bad' oil and the 'best' oil is a few dollars per quart
Since you want to make this analogy, synthetic oil costs about four times as much as the best conventional oil - almost exactly the same ratio as for the windshields. And it's a very good analogy, because some people swear by synthetic oil and don't mind paying more for the higher quality, and some people swear by conventional oil and believe it's not worth paying more for synthetic.

Originally posted by yo
if this is my answer or best advice, maybe i didn't word the questions right?
I think you got the answers to your questions. But you will have to make the decision between paying more for an OEM windshield, or paying less for an aftermarket windshield. Those are your choices.

Originally posted by yo
now that i have poked fun at ken, i will probably be shunned by the masses
Not because it's me, but I think people are less likely to provide helpful advice when they see a hostile response to others who do so.

boy ken, you make this fun for people.

i thought by mentioning my sense of humor, and using smileys we would be friends again. apparently if i disagree with your 'opinion', it is opinion, i am hostile. how can you tell if someone is hostile through print. i haven't used any abusive language, called any names, or more importantly judged anyone.

how can you say i have attacked you, or insulted you?

i was trying to be funny when i said 'shunned by the masses'. i must not be very good at this. i thought i was being complimentary.

ryan

I didn't see any smileys here:

yo said:
ken, i think i see why you have 11xxx posts. now that i know your opinion (repetitively)
You have gotten responses and advice from five others in addition to me.

What is the question for which you are still looking for the answer?

Have you tried a search? There are previous topics worth reviewing (which I found by doing a search on topics with the word "windshield" in the title):

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20873
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20047
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19797
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6519
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6450
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2575
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2169
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295

i have read the searches. before and now again. i have called 5 different glass installers in denver, to which they all claim they get the part from the dealer. the dealer wants $717.40 for the part. i don't see how these people are getting safelite and others to install oem glass for less than $500. in some of those searches i see 300 to 350 for safelite. safelite tells me 850!?!

there is a huge range in what people are paying for and what they are getting. i want the oem glass for 350 bucks:p how do i do it?

yo said:
i need to replace the windshield in my 91. i don't want to turn in a claim to insurance, but rather pay myself. here are my questions:

1) what should the windshield cost? (as a part)
2) should i have a dealer do it? (somewhat worried about poor quality install)
3) what should the entire job cost?
4) i thought i read something about changing the 'seals' when replacing the windshield. Where can i read more about this? any more info?
5)i want the oem glass for 350 bucks)
ryan
My Insurance pays for windshield replacement without deductable. Check your policy. Are you sure about the 500.00 Deductable?

Back