• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new windshield price / questions?

My Insurance pays for windshield replacement without deductable. Check your policy. Are you sure about the 500.00 Deductable?

yeah, i just verified my policy. they have a policy that would include glass, but it was expensive.

on a good note, my policy went down $220 per year due to the recent changs in colorado insurance law:D

ryan

yo said:
i have read the searches. before and now again. i have called 5 different glass installers in denver, to which they all claim they get the part from the dealer. the dealer wants $717.40 for the part. i don't see how these people are getting safelite and others to install oem glass for less than $500. in some of those searches i see 300 to 350 for safelite. safelite tells me 850!?!
I don't believe anyone who claims they got Honda OEM glass for $350 or less. (Sorry, Litesokneecough.) This would be like someone claiming to buy a brand new NSX for $50,000. When the price is more than dealer cost, there's something wrong with this picture.

Similarly, if Safelite is telling you $850, then it sounds like they must be using Honda OEM glass, not aftermarket glass.

If you're interested in an aftermarket windshield, you might try another big glass shop in your area.

Another option would be to try ERZ and get a used windshield. Just keep in mind that most used windshields will have a certain amount of pitting consistent with the number of miles they have been used.

safelite does use the OEM glass, claiming this was the only option. many of the searches have folks claiming safelite installed the OEM glass for less than $500. maybe these same people are on crack

elite says they use LOF (libbey owens ford?) glass. they want 196.76 for the total!

still serching for that happy medium....

As I always say in these cases, what OEM means to you and I is not necessarily the same as what it means to glass shops. I can state with 100% certainty that many shops will claim to use "OEM" glass when what they install is not from the auto manufacturer, and yet they are not necessarily lying. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer of the part not the car, and few car manufacturers also produce their own glass. As you might expect, they out-source it as they do many things. Those companies who supply the glass are the real OEM and they make brand 'x' as well as "factory" parts. So they can be the OEM and sill sell you a "non-factory" part that does not meet original factory specs.

However, they also make brand 'x' glass for every other car for with they are not the OEM. That's OK except that many glass shops will still look you in the face and swear they are selling an OEM part. After all, the company is an OEM for some cars. I have been through this with glass suppliers for years and usually enjoy messing with them a bit just to let them know that not everyone believes their crap. The most recent time was with my NSX and only when pressed repeatedly did they concede that OEM<> Honda. I’m not saying you should get a Honda original, just be aware of how the game is played so you know what you’re getting and get what you pay for.

One more thing, just as with body parts there have been many cases of auto dealerships installing non-factory parts to make an extra buck. I have not heard of this with an NSX but I would certainly check.

yo said:
still serching for that happy medium....

I think at this point you're searching for "where can I get OEM or quality windshield installed for less than what I need to pay." :p :D

You pay what you get. There might be some differences, albeit little differences in prices for same quality/install, but personally I don't think that little difference is worth the cost of wasted time and energy spent searching for redundant informantion.

Zuerst said:
I think at this point you're searching for "where can I get OEM or quality windshield installed for less than what I need to pay." :p :D

You pay what you get. There might be some differences, albeit little differences in prices for same quality/install, but personally I don't think that little difference is worth the cost of wasted time and energy spent searching for redundant informantion.
AMEN BROTHER :rolleyes:

I think all they are all the same - my invoice says Comerce City, but I called the one on County Line near Holly.

I had it done in May 2002, and it cost me $240.

As for the workmanship, I was impressed by the fact that the installer had actually done an NSX before - I thought for sure I would hear "wow, I've never seen one of these before".

When it came time to put on the new windshield, he called another installer to help him place it - the big windshield, coupled with its extreme angle, makes it hard for just one person to hold steady whie getting the perfect placement. All in all, I was happy with the job.

Good luck with your replacement.

As for racing on Santa Fe, I'm afraid it wasn't me, though I was at the car show at ACC in June.

yo said:
LrdVader, nice!

Which elite did you use?

How long ago?

How is the workmanship?

Be glad you don't live in Colorado. Pitted and cracked windshields are a fact of life around here. While, I wouldn't skimp on things like oil, filters, and other engine parts, I wouldn't think twice about saving money on a part that doesn't effect the performance, appearence, or longevity of the car, especially if it is a part I will have to replace again in a few years.

It is pretty sad, really - every car I've seen in Colorado has pits all over the front. I have actually thought seriously about moving to save my NSX that fate.

AKUDOU said:
I think Ken along with others have given you the best advice. Personally I would go with OEM with member discount. Surely you use the best Oil and Filter etc for your NSX so why squander over a windshield.:confused:

nsxtasy said:

Yes, you asked four questions, and it seems to me that all four have been answered...

Then why do you keep giving additional answers? No flame intended, I just don't understand........:confused:

I think at this point you're searching for "where can I get OEM or quality windshield installed for less than what I need to pay."
ok, that works! :D

AMEN BROTHER
is there something wrong with trying to get OEM for less? you seem 'hostile';)

I think all they are all the same - my invoice says Comerce City, but I called the one on County Line near Holly.
i just talked with the guy who has worked on a few nsx's. thanks for your help.

Be glad you don't live in Colorado. Pitted and cracked windshields are a fact of life around here
it is terrible. i have 2 jeeps as well, 2 windshields per year on those! for those of you out there that don't live in CO, the state doesn't use salt for ice removal. they use gravel alomst exclusively. they have some new stuff called mag chloride but it includes gravel as well:rolleyes:

as for the subject matter at hand, be careful. the more people/shops i talk to, the picture is very gray! this thread makes it sound very white/black, it is not. the main ideology behind many of the posts in this thread (and the searches) is more money is better. i have 3 different windshield prices from 3 different dealerships?!? about half of the aftermarket installers claim the only option is OEM, when i have found at least 3 manufacturers of aftermarket nsx glass. here are my results:

OEM glass(no install) - somewhere between 717.40 and 842.10
OEM moulding - somehwere between 42.00 and 114.00
aftermarket glass(installed) - somehwere between 179.50 to 420.00
OEM glass(installed by aftermerket) - somewhere between 820 to 1000
OEM glass(installed by dealer) - you don't want to know:rolleyes:

Just to make the confusion complete: Isn't the windshield a part of the NSXs overall statics?

If that is true it may be not only the question of how good you can look through it when you chose a new one - a non OEM windshield may be not as stable as the original - just a guess.

yo said:

is there something wrong with trying to get OEM for less? you seem 'hostile';)

Sorry you feel there is hostility,the thought of that never intered my mind,I was just trying to relay the message "beating a dead horse". On another note U mentioned the high cost of insurance in Colorado. My first impression is a conspiracy between the Insurance Companys,State Government and the Windshiels Companys is obvious because..... (1)they have a policy that would include glass, but it was expensive............ (2) it is terrible. i have 2 jeeps as well, 2 windshields per year on those! for those of you out there that don't live in CO, the state doesn't use salt for ice removal. they use gravel alomst exclusively. they have some new stuff called mag chloride but it includes gravel as well........ (3)OEM glass(no install) - somewhere between 717.40 and 842.10
OEM moulding - somehwere between 42.00 and 114.00
aftermarket glass(installed) - somehwere between 179.50 to 420.00
OEM glass(installed by aftermerket) - somewhere between 820 to 1000
OEM glass(installed by dealer) - you don't want to know

Last edited:
Sorry you feel there is hostility,the thought of that never intered my mind,I was just trying to relay the message "beating a dead horse".

uh, if you have read any of this thread (or noticed the smiley) you might notice the usage of the 'hostile' word a few times. it WAS a joke.

as for the 'conspiracy theory', i agree. i have decided to start my own insurance company ;)

Yo Yo Yo,
Why are you so afraid to file a claim on your insurance for the windshield? They are not going to raise your rates simply because you filed a comprehensive claim. They raise rates for points on your driving record and/or accidents.

Stop tripping over dollars to save pennies and pay the $500 and get an OEM windshield.

Why are you so afraid to file a claim on your insurance for the windshield? They are not going to raise your rates simply because you filed a comprehensive claim. They raise rates for points on your driving record and/or accidents.

here is what happens (it has happened on both of my jeeps):
you file a claim for a new windshield, in this case it ends up being over $500 (assuming they actually ok the oem). they then say, 'wow expensive windshield' and nothing happens. 5 months later i am back again due to another broken windshield. after about 3 iterations of this, they tell me they either have to raise the rate or i need to change policy to 'includes windshield' which raises the rate anyway.

it is not the $500, it is the $500 every 6 months.

yo said:
it is not the $500, it is the $500 every 6 months.
I have never heard of anyone replacing a windshield every six months. I haven't even heard of anyone replacing a windshield more than once.

Now you have, Ken: I'm in this club too - with various cars - also with my NSX. Maybe it's the german Autobahn with high speeds or the up to 60.000 km per year or track use with stones from the "Kiesbett" - sometimes I would have to change it every 3 months but I fill the little holes with 2 component epoxy until there are real cracks in the window.

Back