• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

newbie detailing questions

I am about to order the PC 7424 but I have a few questions
1. wash
2. dry
3. clay
4. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover #9
5. Meguiar's polish #2 or Meguiar's #83 or anything better? (Does it really dull your clear coat if you do it alot?)
6. Meguiar's Yellow Liquid Wax #26 or NXT or anything better?

Can I use the PC7424 for step 4,5,6? Do I need different pads for each one of them?
PC7424 comes with a white pad. Should I buy the same pads?
This is the first time I will detail the car myself and I like to stick with Meguira product.

thanks

Andy,

First, throw away that cheap white pad that comes with the PC. It is useless.
Buy at least two good pads and a backing plate. Generally, two white or one white and one yellow (or orange). The color system/aggressiveness/firmness depends on the brand.
I have not used the products that you listed, but try the least aggressive polish first (after wash and clay). If it doesn't remove your problems, go to the next aggressive polish you own.
If you are ordering online I can recommend detailers paradise for good prices and advice. I have used them and several others.
Read some on these sites before you pull the trigger on the order:

http://www.autopia.org/index.php
http://www.bettercarcare.com/index.php
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421

Good luck and post some pics, before and after!

AndyH said:
I am about to order the PC 7424 but I have a few questions
1. wash
2. dry
3. clay
4. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover #9
5. Meguiar's polish #2 or Meguiar's #83 or anything better? (Does it really dull your clear coat if you do it alot?)
6. Meguiar's Yellow Liquid Wax #26 or NXT or anything better?

Can I use the PC7424 for step 4,5,6? Do I need different pads for each one of them?
PC7424 comes with a white pad. Should I buy the same pads?
This is the first time I will detail the car myself and I like to stick with Meguira product.

thanks

Andy,

Here is what I would do:

1. Wash with Dawn
2. Clay
3. Rewash & Dry
4. Use machine to clean paint, hand remove
5. Use machine to polish paint, hand remove
6. Hand apply NXT and Remove

I use Megiuars too, and have been very happy with the results. I'd definitely get some of the aftermarket pads for the polisher. Check out Griots for the pads, get the polisher somewhere else ($$$$).

pt91 said:
I have not used the products that you listed, but try the least aggressive polish first (after wash and clay). If it doesn't remove your problems, go to the next aggressive polish you own.
Just to amplify on what PT is saying here...

The products you list in the original steps 4 and 5 (swirl mark remover, and another polish) are abrasive, meaning that they wear down the finish. If you have swirl marks or scratches on your finish, their abrasiveness is exactly what you need to wear down the finish so that it is smooth again. But if you are not experiencing these problems on your finish, then you should not use these products as part of your normal detailing routine.

There are milder products that are not physically abrasive, such as Zymol HD-Cleanse, and you might try one of those. But I would stay away from products that remove paint unless you are dealing with a specific problem that requires their use.

Product Removal with Machine and Bonnet

White94 says he removes detailing products by hand. I reccomend getting a chenille bonnet or a microfiber bonnet for removing product. These bonnets fit over the foam pad, and will remove about 95% of the product quickly and easily. Then, for the final polish, go over the car with your favorite soft cotton towel or microfiber towel. This way uses less effort for the same result.

BTW I've used the machine to apply (and remove) NXT wax also (White94 mentions this product specifically). I've had no problems with machine application for this product, and it's a great wax. I don't like the odor though - they have gone to some trouble to make the stuff smell like Cherry cough syrup, not for me thanks.

Soichiro is correct, there is no harm to removing any of them with a MF bonnet. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, I just don't find that it saves much time and prefer to do it by hand. The same is true with the NXT - it is so easy I just don't bother with the machine.

Didn't mean to confuse the situation!

BTW, NXT is wonderful and even more so on white cars where 'surface shine' vs 'depth' is not so much an issue (IMO).

Back