• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbie question -- easy fixes if/when front tires rub??

I am a newbie to this board-- have a question regarding dealing with tire rubbing

Recently bought a '92 NSX, all stock, and have replaced the small original rims with 17x8 ET50 (215/40-17)and 18x9.5 ET45 (255/35-18) Enkei PF01's, mounted with Adaptec 12mm spacers, based on NSXPrime Wiki info. I wanted a reasonably flush stance. Driving the car on the street with stock suspension, the rears haven't rubbed at all and the fronts ALMOST never rub -- only on the deepest highway wallows do I get a slight bit of rubbing.

The resulting stance with the new Enkei's is pretty flush with the outer edges of the wheel wells. I am now going to lower the car ~0.7 in using new Bilstein shocks at their lower mounting point. (I am avoiding lowering springs that will drop the car further). So I imagine with the drop, the fronts will start rubbing more often, and maybe the rears will a little too.

QUESTION -- Are there well known, cost effective and fairly easy ways to minimize rubbing on the NSX, particularly on the front fenders? (For example, on Audi's, a common solution modest rubbing is to remove a particular fender liner bolt and clip.)

I would like to avoid rolling the NSX's aluminum fenders if possible, and I would like to make the spacers (and matching tapered wheel lug nuts) I have already installed work.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
What's your tire size?? Wheel offsets? After that we can go from there. Most likely the cheapest way is to take the spacers out=free

My rubbing issues with 17x8 RPF1s and 235/40/17 tires were resolved through a combination of fender liner removal, spacers, ride height adjustment and alignment. I still plan to remove the uppermost fender liner mounting tab if I still touch it next time I'm on the track, but I don't expect that to be an issue anymore.

That much I know.
What's your tire size?? Wheel offsets? After that we can go from there. Most likely the cheapest way is to take the spacers out=free

tire sizes added to OP - thanks for your help

You are probably only rubbing a little bit... The best way is probably get a tire with a smaller sidewall. 215/40/17 is the normal size.

ok your front tire is the wrong size,it needs to be a 40 series.who told you to use a 45 series in 17 inch?

Yup. Switch your front tires to 215/40-17 and they shouldn't rub at all, even with the 0.7" lowering of the Bilstein shocks. Assuming you have the proper offset on your wheels, for maximum clearance in the wheel wells.

EDIT: I see you've edited your first post to indicate that you currently have 215/40-17 tires. As already noted, if you have the proper offset for your wheels, that size should not rub, with or without the lowering of the Bilsteains.

Last edited:
Recently bought a '92 NSX, all stock, and have replaced the small original rims with 17x8 ET50 (215/40-17)and 18x9.5 ET45 (255/35-18) Enkei PF01's, mounted with Adaptec 12mm spacers, based on NSXPrime Wiki info.

If all these specs are correct, then you should have minimal to no rubbing when the car is lowered on Bilsteins with the Lower perch.
A 12mm spacer will make the front effectively a 17x8 +38 with a 215/40/17 and the rear a 18x9.5 +33 with a 255/35/18.

Thanks all for your input. I get the car back from the shop shortly and I do hope it doesn't rub...

If all these specs are correct, then you should have minimal to no rubbing when the car is lowered on Bilsteins with the Lower perch.
A 12mm spacer will make the front effectively a 17x8 +38 with a 215/40/17 and the rear a 18x9.5 +33 with a 255/35/18.

You could go to a 10mm spacer (although 2mm seems small) the resulting +40 offset should not pose any problems.

Back