• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbiequestions

Hi,

some days ago I bought a 91 with 110k miles on it for joyriding in the summer season.
The car provides lots of fun, but after about 1.5k driving, some noises were getting my attention...:redface:
I do not have any experiences with the normal soundscape of a NSX and just get out of my sedan (MB CLK320 automatic-t) for daily driving, into a 15years old sports-car, - and maybe I am a little bit spoiled in the regard of a quiet interior!

Additionally it is lowered and has Bilstein dampers mounted, even low-profile tires, so it feels bouncing on the road and this is probably the reason for a lot of interior noises from the dash and the doors inwards...:rolleyes: But two noises absorb the driving fun and keeps me really bothering:

1. My Transmission is not in the snapring area (J4A41002411), hope so! But during decelerating in gear 1 and gear 2, - either while driving walking-speed in the first gear, the tranny sounds like straight-toothed and loud. In spite of that I have no shifting problems with it. So maybe my fears are baseless:confused: and its normal?!

2. In the front I notice a rattly noise induced by unevenness on the road.
I guess and it feels like it comes from the steering rack, -thats what I found by searching this forum!
Also conceivablly are the tie-rods.
I have not inspected something in detail for this matter till now, due to lack of time...:frown:
But I would like to be prepared "shock-ready" before and/or would like to know "what, if...".
Oh, its a manual steering and I can`t feel any clearance which might be out of spec in the steering column but some, really not much, play in the steering.
Could some grease help? Should something be replaced? Rack or tie-rods, - what is more probably? What costs should I expect for the spare parts?

Thanks so far in advance for your responses and sorry for my german english-skill.

Regards Michael :biggrin:

o.k., as there are no responses to my questions...i add on another question to that issues and hope to spark someones interest.

I guess there are a lot of 91`s out there which has rankled lots of miles, - my one just has 112500miles today.

My question is:
Have anybody heard of an engine that died on decrepitude? :smile:

It`s just interseting to me what I can expect the next years, is there a sonic wall of mileage, -where is it to expect that the engine performance will drop dramatically?

I found the high mileage thing in the FAQ, but it seems to me not to be up to date...

Where does the fun ends, any experiences ?

Regards
Michael

If the engine is well maintained, it can go on indefinitely without major problems. There is no particular mileage when you might expect problems to occur.

If the engine is not well maintained, problems can occur at any mileage.

Your timing belt was already replaced at least once, right?

Thanks for your reply!

nsxtasy said:
Your timing belt was already replaced at least once, right?

...this is obviously a thing need to be done very urgently, - as I had a telephone conversation with my "pre-pre"owner today,- where it came out that he has not commissioned this little negligibility for maintenance:eek: . My "pre-owner" promised me that the t-belt thing has been done and promised me to send me a copy of the bill ex post. But nothing up to now... and as he seemed to me as beeing in pressing need of money, theres is not a lot for me to put some trust on his words...either he`s not available on the phone the last days when I tried to clarify this issue with him...:mad:

This provokes me thoughtfully!

I decide to change the t-belt the next days,-just to be on the save side !

Regards
Michael

The tranny on the NSX is louder than many cars I've driven at low revs/low speeds. I've always thought it was kind of a cool deal though. It doesn't sound broken, just sounds strong to me.

I have a 95, so it's essentially the same as yours in the tranny dept.

Read up on the skip-shifting issue in so you don't blow your synchros.

Matt

Matt,

slashmatt said:
It doesn't sound broken, just sounds strong to me...
Read up on the skip-shifting issue in so you don't blow your synchros.
Matt

This is exactly what I feel/mean, - not broken,-but with a strong sound (in the first gear???)...this is so comforting to hear:biggrin:

I`ll never practice skip shifting, - with this car...:wink:

Regards Michael

Back