• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Next Generation NSX

(May 19, 2000 4:27PM EST)
I just heard a report about the next generation NSX in SpeedVision...

"...the exterior styling is not yet solidified, but a spokeperson from Acura stated that its power plant will be based on the RL's 3.5 liter V8 producing 396 hoursepower. Its due for release in late 2002. "

oops!... the RL has a V6. Perhaps SpeedVision made a mistake... or maybe the Acure spokesperson made a mistake... maybe the RL is getting a V8... maybe the NSX is getting an engine that has 33.3% more cylinders than an RL ???

We'll see it when it happens.

I believe what they meant was that RL will have detuned version of the V8 that NSX will have. I also heard that NSX will have steel body rather than aluminum for lower cost and thus come down on price to about $55-60k. Not sure how true that one is though...

Attachments

• Lamborghini-Aventador-4.jpg
    Lamborghini-Aventador-4.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 4
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
  • trophy wheel.jpg
    trophy wheel.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
Autoweek for May 22, states that the next generation NSX will have a High Output version of the next generation RL V8 engine and will produce 396hp. A racing-oriented NSX GT gets a 3.6 liter version of the V8, producing more then 415 horsepower.

Andrew has it right. I have now heard from several sources that the next generation RL will have a "V8"... WOW!!! Looks like the NSX WILL get a V8 after all. Cool... I'm jazzed!

As a previous owner of several model year NSX's ('91, '94 & most recently '99), and in the hope that someone from Acura/Honda happens to monitor this excellent website, I am writing to offer my thoughts on next-generation NSX replacement. Either they need to make the car a mid-engine vehicle, like the '91-'05 car or they will certainly lose me as a customer. Acura got it right the first time. They need only update the powertrain to contemporary/competitive horsepower levels and incorporate a few nice things like HUD (head up display) bluetooth, in-dash CD player, etc. and the car will be there. DO NOT mess with the basic formula of this vehicle. DO NOT put the engine out in front as in the ill-conceived HSC. It does not belong there. Acura, please listen to your customers. We know what we want. We know why we so fervently love the NSX. There are too many front engine sports cars to choose from. All, various flavors of vanilla. And not one of them has the feel of an NSX. Remember what made the original NSX so uniquely compelling. Mid-engine, exotic styling, build quality and reliability. A feeling of one-ness between car and driver. Those were desireable qualities in 1990. They are equally desireable today.

Respectfully,

Geno M.

stick the v10 in the HSC, and i'm happy...... (the car looks way better in person)

and don't target aston martin - hit ferrari where it hurts again... and harder:smile:

Damn, if only this were true. I think a V8 with 400-450 horsepower is the best way to go, rather than the speculated V10 with at least 500HP. It is more practical from the angle of being able to share the technology with their existing products, it will yield better gas mileage, and it will have lower weight and less space requirements.

For the new NSX I think they need to update the interior and available technology (nav, audio, bluetooth, etc.), take some strong exterior styling cues from the existing NSX, make it mid-engined (of course), and about 3000 lbs. with a pricetag of about what they charged on the old NSX and that would be perfect. What I don't know is if it's possible.

(May 19, 2000 4:27PM EST)
I just heard a report about the next generation NSX in SpeedVision...

"...the exterior styling is not yet solidified, but a spokeperson from Acura stated that its power plant will be based on the RL's 3.5 liter V8 producing 396 hoursepower. Its due for release in late 2002. "

oops!... the RL has a V6. Perhaps SpeedVision made a mistake... or maybe the Acure spokesperson made a mistake... maybe the RL is getting a V8... maybe the NSX is getting an engine that has 33.3% more cylinders than an RL ???

We'll see it when it happens.

You know how this article is comical to read today (after 7 years). Well, I have a feeling that is how we will feel in another 7 years when we realize Honda isn't really interested in another NSX.

DO NOT put the engine out in front as in the ill-conceived HSC. It does not belong there.

Respectfully,

Geno M.

You better get your facts straight.

Gemo just mistook the name. I'm sure he was refering to the ACCS, I don't know the name of that thing, and not the HSC.

It's nice to have 3 threads about the new mule.

Back