• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Next NSX according to Motor Trend

Re: benefit of 5 valves/cylinder?

Osiris_x11 said:
Would putting 5-valves per cylinder be of reasonable benefit in a V10 of small(er) displacement as in 4.0L or even 4.5L? I know Audi has been using 5-valves per cylinder as well as Ferrari for many years. :confused:

Two valves and twin cams as opposed to quad cams would be better for low end torque.
The motor will sound better if it's a high rpm lower torque twin over head cam 4-5 valve unit.

Re: benefit of 5 valves/cylinder?

Tony Montoya said:
Two valves and twin cams as opposed to quad cams would be better for low end torque.
The motor will sound better if it's a high rpm lower torque twin over head cam 4-5 valve unit.

That doesnt determine torque, the amount of air does on the other hand there are too many variables to speak of that it would take it off topic.

I must admit that as I read the posts I see the same thing over and over again. Everyone wants a car with exotic horsepower, exotic weight, exotic looks and then wants it for cheap price. It appears that we expect Honda (a relatively small company) to be able to do what no one else does. If you must have the horsepower and acceleration then just buy a Z06 and be done with it. They are relatively cheap ~$70k+ and you won't find that kind of bang for the buck elsewhere. If you want a Noble buy it and be done with it.

The NSX Forum is a great place for opinions, however this is why focus groups often don't work. People will say a lot but when it comes down to who will pay the story can be very different. If we were to do a group buy say with the new NSX at 550 hp and 2800 lbs, etectera. How many of you would be willing to committ to $100k. We should make up a list to see if we are full of hot air or are serious about buying the car.

I have already tried to put a deposit on the new NSX replacement at several dealerships to no avail (The owners claim there is nothing at this time to place an order for). If the car is relatively light 2800 to 3000 lbs and has a 400 hp engine and appropriate torque I will be a happy camper at $100k. I have an 01 with a comptech SC at 5lbs, 360rwhp. I say that the car is pretty dam fast. It probably weighs in at about 3250lbs. When I have a passenger in the car I can tell the performance is affected. It exceeds my ability to drive consistantly fast.

As several of you enlightened folks have noted it is not just the horsepower but the whole system. Most of us who really like and admire the NSX do so for more than its ability to beat a particular car or exceed a benchmark measurement. The NSX symbolizes what a philosophical approach to manufacturing an automobile can accomplish. In the end Honda must build a product that will sell. In today's world of energy conservation and green responsibility I think Honda's best bet is to produce a car that is a balanced machine that showcases what technology can accomplish but remains responsible. I see the Z06 and the Viper as crude executions. I see Aston Martin, Ferrari, Porsche, and several others as artistic, thoughtful executions.

While I would really like a Aston Martin, or Ferrari, they are beyond what I want to pay.

I am interested in the creature comforts of the car. I want gps with traffic alerts, xm radio, I-jpod, etcetera. I want full leather that smells like leather. I want safety built in with advanced air bag technology. I want to have choices in the exterior colors, leather colors, etcetera. I really want to be able to have a unqiue car when it is said and done. I want a really great stereo system. I want a great sounding exhaust. I want super looking and working brakes. I want really light weight wheels. I want it to show case technology. I want the execution of detail to be important.

My two cents.

Manny

I went to my dealer and talked with them months ago.
As soon as its offically anounced they are to call me and make me number one on their list. Price and product unseen :D

and whats with the b!tching of high rpms and keeping the engine reving?? I do it all day, you guys need to learn to DOWNSHIFT!!!

I don't care about hp or displacement, it's the performance that matters!!! oh and a 10k or higher redline wouldn't hurt :D

DrManny,

Count me in for 550hp/2800lb for $100k.

Honda can count me out for 400hp/3000lb for the same dough. With that kind of power(and given Honda's engineering) one would be looking at a larger displacement V6 or very small 8. The whole package would say to me "run of the mill." But...for $50k, I'll pony up. And so would thousands of others I would presume. There goes any exclusivity I suppose.

a 400 hp 2900lb car is called the Challenge Stradale...not too shabby

drmanny3 said:
I must admit that as I read the posts I see the same thing over and over again. Everyone wants a car with exotic horsepower, exotic weight, exotic looks and then wants it for cheap price. It appears that we expect Honda (a relatively small company) to be able to do what no one else does. If you must have the horsepower and acceleration then just buy a Z06 and be done with it. They are relatively cheap ~$70k+ and you won't find that kind of bang for the buck elsewhere. If you want a Noble buy it and be done with it.

My two cents.

Manny

A relatively small company? I guess 80 billion ($80,000,000,000.00) in revenue just insn't what it used to be. I didn't bother to read the rest of the post after that. To put that into perspective, Microsoft did 40 Billion. Little Honda can do whatever they want.

drmanny3 said:
. If we were to do a group buy say with the new NSX at 550 hp and 2800 lbs, etectera. How many of you would be willing to committ to $100k. We should make up a list to see if we are full of hot air or are serious about buying the car.
---------

A 550 hp, 2800 lb, 10 cylinder Honda would be a bargain.
I am in.
By the way, Honda is far from being a "small company".
It is a giant. A gentle giant that is.
From producing Formula One engines to engines for the Honda Insight and lawn mowers to now air plane engines, Honda is the undisputed king of Engineering know how and excellence.

It is only about time that they finally produce an engine befitting their flagship exotic.

liftcontrol said:
drmanny3 said:
. If we were to do a group buy say with the new NSX at 550 hp and 2800 lbs, etectera. How many of you would be willing to committ to $100k. We should make up a list to see if we are full of hot air or are serious about buying the car.
---------

A 550 hp, 2800 lb, 10 cylinder Honda would be a bargain.
I am in.
By the way, Honda is far from being a "small company".
It is a giant. A gentle giant that is.
From producing Formula One engines to engines for the Honda Insight and lawn mowers to now air plane engines, Honda is the undisputed king of Engineering know how and excellence.

It is only about time that they finally produce an engine befitting their flagship exotic.

right on man!!! PREACH!!!! everytime I hear someone say it's just a Honda that's what I think of. Just a Ford or Chevy is accurate, but NOT Honda, Honda does everything and they do it RIGHT....THE FIRST TIME
^^did ya catch that Ferrai/FIAT!!! do it right the first time and leave it alone........for 15 years :D haha

That example of the NSX/HSC actually looks pretty dang good. Realize this, if Honda produces an NSX/HSC with the MotorTrend specs, tuners are going to go hogfrickin' wild on it.

hopefully with a v-10 the motor wil finaly be going north-south :wink: If they still wanted to put it in transverse,I'm guessing the car would need to be lambo wide :tongue: The key to Honda's ability to keep new vehicle powertrains secret till launch is to test the new powertrains in the preexisting bodies,so I'm sure there have been v-10 na2 looking nsx's running around twin ring for months now :biggrin:

tbNSX said:
From MT oct 2005...

I wouldn't believe anything ANY mag has to say about any non American or non German car. Plus, it looks like a Mitsubishi Eclipse :(
If anyones paid attention for like the last 5 years with mags talking about the NSX you'd know all they report about it is their own made up BS.
I'll only listen to what Honda and people who work for Honda have to say!!

docjohn said:
The key to Honda's ability to keep new vehicle powertrains secret till launch is to test the new powertrains in the preexisting bodies,so I'm sure there have been v-10 na2 looking nsx's running around twin ring for months now :biggrin:

Thye have one in the new Element :tongue: :tongue:

Back