• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NEXT NSX

Originally posted by Joel:
Am I wrong?

Well, I wouldn't agree with all of your statements...

In 1991, the concept of the NSX pushed the envelope and raised the bar for automotive excellence.

I agree.

Honda is quite satisfied with their current image--one of providing affordable and reliable transportation for the masses.

I don't think that's a complete description of their current image - particularly the part about "transportation for the masses". That phrase certainly describes their Civic and Accord lines. But it's not really applicable for other vehicles that are either the widely-acknowledged best in their segment, or the best value - vehicles such as the Odyssey, the MD-X/Pilot, the S2000, the TL-S, or the CL-S. These are all terrific vehicles that are a bit too pricey to fit the "masses" comment.

I think a better description of Honda's image is one of providing quality, performance, and value in a variety of segments of the automotive industry. And that doesn't even touch on their fine reputation in motorcycles, power equipment, etc.

Sports car enthusiasts are left in the back-burner.

The S2000 and the NSX are both great cars for the sports car enthusiast in their respective price range. The recently-discontinued Integra Type R was, at the time, the only relatively inexpensive car that was designed and built for the racetrack, bone stock.

rival corporations like Nissan and Toyota are quite content with staying away from the exotic car market. They're doing well for themselves so why should Honda voluntarily fork over the $$$ to manufacture such expensive cars? For image? Please.

Nissan and Toyota have both been rumored to be working on a high-end supercar to act as a "halo car" for their entire model line. And all three manufacturers are doing okay; for 2002, Toyota unit vehicle sales in the U.S. are up 1 percent, Honda up 3 percent, and Nissan up 5 percent.

Originally posted by SuncoastNSX:

If Acura wants to stay in the game, they need to offer two different models. Maybe an entry level, 75k car producing over 300hp (I mean come on, even the Lexus SC430 has it), and an R-type marketed turbo version from the factory. Some say impossible to sell, but they sell quite a few Porsche Turbos at $136k!

[/B]

I like this idea. I think that Acura should produce a low volume of NSX "supercars" and still carry a higher volume of 290 hp NSXs. The supercar should be 3.5 - 4 L V8 400hp.

...This could be a good test to see if they would sell for around 120K. The extra cost could take care of the extra building expenses. The key is to start at a very low volume with the supercar just to test it.

--Phillip

Originally posted by Zanardi 50:

As for my speculation of when the 2nd gen NSX may be ready to hit production, it may boil down to Honda's IRL success within the next few years. Perhaps if Honda begins a series of back-to-back IRL championship and constructor title wins (a good probability since the Homestead test 2 weeks ago proved Honda-powered cars are 4 mph faster than TOyota and 7 mph more than Chevy), maybe by 2006 they will be boasting about the same de-tuned 3.5 liter V-8 that won Inday races NOW powers the new NSX. Sales will go through the roof and Honda's recognition in motorsports will be restored and respect gained once again.
Again, it's just a speculation. It may be the plan you know....Only time will tell.

I've been of the same belief as well. This is quite a step for Honda to participate against the likes of those other manufactures. You just don't spend that type of jack unless your looking to do something else with it down the road. The benefits of having a "halo car" as Ken said can far out-weight its cost in terms of recognition and brand name in the marketplace. While the future economy will play a key role on production of a new NSX if any, Honda can make up the difference w/other models which they are doing at this point. If they win INDY and smoke the competition don't think for a second they won't take advantage of it and the IRL as a platform is alot cheaper than F1 which was the marketing tool back when they developed the car we have now.

The longer we hear nothing...makes me nervous.Most new models are introed a yr in advance.If Honda is only about profit margin(I don'nt entirerly believe that)the smart play imo,is to offer a acura badged 6 cyl coupe version of the profitable s2000,with some parts sharing of the honda 4 cyl version profitability is assured.There is a lot off room to expand that x brace chassis of the s2000.This would be in line with what we hear as Hondas' mantra,,lightness and power using small displacement efficient motors.

Originally posted by NeoNSX:
actually, i 'heard' they were using a modified engine from the Zonda... so i think 6.0L is too small.
biggrin.gif
No its not... Zonda uses a moderately stressed 7.3L AMG motor, but there are other alternatives.

The new Lambo Gallardo gets 500 hp (and at least 400 ft-lb) from a 5.0L V-10, and the Porsche Carrera GT gets 603 hp (and 427 ft-lb) from a 5.7L V-10.

Originally posted by spookyp:
they have chosen to not just bite the bullet and pull the car.

They can't completely pull the car, otherwise they wouldn't have anything to run in JGTC, where it does quite well. There's more to the NSX than the US market.

Now they are in a situation where the other Japanese marques are *returning* to the sports car fold with high performing, low cost, entries. Honda simply must do something in the face of the WRX, EVO, RX-8, 350Z and, potentially, a new Supra.

The S2000, in terms of performance if not overall package and target market, compares very favorably with all those cars... And has been out since 2000. Seems to me like the other car companies are playing catch-up.

And on the Honda vs. Porsche question... Sure, maybe the NSX is losing ground to the 911, but the S2000 is very competive with the boxster, and takes it to school in overall value.

-Mike

Originally posted by cojones:
No its not... Zonda uses a moderately stressed 7.3L AMG motor, but there are other alternatives.

The new Lambo Gallardo gets 500 hp (and at least 400 ft-lb) from a 5.0L V-10, and the Porsche Carrera GT gets 603 hp (and 427 ft-lb) from a 5.7L V-10.

that's true. i don't disagree with that.
perfect example; the V-6 NSX 3.2L gets good HP and performance... but it's just a V-6. Same with Porsche V-6 3.6L packs a big punch.

However, if u want to impress the ignorant, more cylinders + litres always seem faster. Bit like a CPU with more MHz sounds faster...

[This message has been edited by NeoNSX (edited 08 February 2003).]

I think they should put a V10 Viper Engine in the 2nd Gen NSX's.. :p

------------------
"So your Honda Civic has 1.6 Litres, Yet my Mountain Dew bottle has 2 Litres."

Originally posted by grippgoat:
They can't completely pull the car, otherwise they wouldn't have anything to run in JGTC, where it does quite well. There's more to the NSX than the US market.

They can still keep the NSX in other markets other than the US. The Supra, RX-7, 300ZX, etc was pulled out of the US market but the car was still available domestically for some time after that.

I wouldn't be surprised if honda decided to stop bringing the NSX here to the US and still make it available domestically in Japan. I've been to Japan numerous times and the NSX definitely gets more love there than here.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 10 February 2003).]

I agree RyRy. Ive been thinking that the NSX could become JDM only (especially since the type-R has breathed a lot of life into the NSX in Japan).

Im also not so sure the S2000 is good competition for the 350Z, EVO, WRX and RX8. Im almost certain that any of the cars in that list will outperform the S2000 in the typical mag test. Now that doesnt mean the S2000 isnt a great car, and mag tests certainly arent everything, but they do go a long way towards shaping public perception. In addition, the S2000 has a higher retail and is only available as a vert.

Personally, Im afraid that Honda is on the verge of making a big mistake with the NSX. The time is ripe now for them to re-energize it and I think they may, instead, be preparing to pull it from the US market.

The NSX needs to be able to do more than hang with the 911TT and Z06. Unfortunately, even if it *can* hang with those boys now, it's image has been shot to hell. Literally every major publication refers to the NSX as the "underappreciated supercar" or "the supercar that gets no respect". The street cred has entirely dried up. Not good...

The only choices they really have are to pull it from everywhere except Japan, or reinvent it. I don't see status quo as a choice, to be honest.

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 10 February 2003).]

Back