• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nickel Ignition Key...no more?

Since I have a 1992 NSX, I have the nickel key.
I was told that Acura no longer makes the nickel ignition keys..true?

If so, when did they stop making these (nickel) keys?

What did you pay for it?

You can still buy them. But they won't work with the '97+ NSX, because they don't contain the chip to deactivate the immobilizer function in the security system that was introduced that year.

I know this is a total hijack of the thread, but has anyone tried to dremel a small depression in the Unobtanium key and transfer their RFD chip into it?

Deuce B said:
OK, retail sucks. So what will a dealer typically sell them for?
It depends on the dealership. Some dealerships sell parts for retail. Some will give discounts - including the ones that give up to 30 percent off for members of the NSX Club.

Deuce B said:
I never pay retail at my Acura dealership.
Then you ought to be able to find out what you will need to pay at your dealer by asking there.

nsxtasy said:
It depends on the dealership. Some dealerships sell parts for retail. Some will give discounts - including the ones that give up to 30 percent off for members of the NSX Club.

Then you ought to be able to find out what you will need to pay at your dealer by asking there.

Pfluegar Acura in Hawaii honored the NSXCA discount for at least 1 local member here when he bought the 02 rear lower valence. They are not officially on the NSXCA discount list, but with the gorwing number of new owners we are getting, maybe we could get them to be official.

By the way, I'm glad I got my original nickel key with my car;) However, it is kind of heavy so I don't use it because I don't really want all that weight on the ignition switch. It probably is fine, but thats just me.

Back