• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nitrous oxide kits/installers in Chicago

(I did several searches already, they're all quite old) :redface:

Can anyone recommend a nitrous oxide kit that they have personally used on their NSX. I am thinking of using 70 - 100 hp shot, most likely a wet shot. I have looked up several suppliers online, but I would like a personal refrerence please. :wink: (A Chicago area installer would also be appreciated)

Dave

Member "BadCarma" on Prime is very experienced with nitrous oxide systems. Try doing a search on his posts. He is in Florida, however, not Chicago.

nitrous oxide kits are pretty much DIY jobs...I've done a dry kit and a wet kit before on my previous car and I have no prior experience....just do a lot of reading and save yourself some $$$$ for something else... :cool:

I have a NX kit, no problems, just make sure you get the safety switches with it, I.E full throttle switch, pressure switch.

Rob

I had a shop do it. Wish I would have done it myself. It is pretty easy. Remeber to pull out your platinum plugs and replace with copper. Maybe 1 degree colder.

Rob

Autophile said:
Member "BadCarma" on Prime is very experienced with nitrous oxide systems. Try doing a search on his posts. He is in Florida, however, not Chicago.

BadCarma is the NOS expert, review his post or PM him, I do not know if he still does but he was making a NSX specific kit to aid your installer, make sure your shop is willing to go the extra mile as far as safety is concerned and has the tools (dyno w/ AFR) to test the results of the install to make sure the install is safe. NOS is NOS I heard one installer say, but an installer is not an installer. I would as a min. make sure that there are several automatic safety devices in play at all times. I would make use of the SmartShift to ensure the system could only spray between a given RPM range say 3000-7200rpm, only at wide open throttle (throttle position switch), only if enough fuel pressure is present (fuel pressure safety switch), only after it was manually armed (remote bottle opener and relay arming switch, and then manually triggered (use of the horn button on the wheel is easiest)by you. You can easily do a NOS kit without these features and it would be an easy install, just keep in mind the cost of a rebuild on a NSX with OEM parts is very expensive, just guessing but over $15,000.00 is my guess.

I do know for a fact that the NSX responds well to NOS but if you are going to do it spray a 75 shot and make sure the AFR's are safe, Oh one more thing have a compression/leak down test done on the motor before you do the kit, if you have a problem you want to know before you move forward.

Just some random thoughts, best of luck. :smile:

Dave

Dave, you have obviously been spending too much time with Omer. :biggrin:

DRZZZ said:
(I did several searches already, they're all quite old) :redface:

Can anyone recommend a nitrous oxide kit that they have personally used on their NSX. I am thinking of using 70 - 100 hp shot, most likely a wet shot. I have looked up several suppliers online, but I would like a personal refrerence please. :wink: (A Chicago area installer would also be appreciated)

Dave
As mentioned, the is a lot to putting together a solution past just bolting on off the shelf kits. If you have clear objectives, a strong motor, and good results from a compression test behind you the next logical step may well be to scavege for information and get all of your ducks in a row. :)

We receive few inquiries for this, but I am thinking that you may wish to contact Mike here at SWR. He also has personal experience with the various NOS offerings for the NSX and had a very pricey complete system put together himself as I recall awhile back on his own NSX. I am sure he could also lend a hand in your pursuit for more information and product at the least.

Best Regards,

John

KGP said:
Dave, you have obviously been spending too much time with Omer. :biggrin:

I'm not sure if I am spending too much time around him or he is spending too much time around me. I was able to show him the other day that if you turn the little round thing in front of you while you are driving the car will turn, and if you do that a few times in a row it might just be more fun than pushing on the big right pedal till a 1/4 mile goes by then letting off. FYI we had a street legal vette in the shop that turned 650hp all motor and 908hp on the bottle. The thing broke the tires loose on the dyno. Very Scary.

Dave

Well here are a couple of shops that have been in business for a long time doing nothing but import performance.

www.driversimage.com Greg is a friend of mine, and is from Florida, and is a pro import drag racer.

www.automotosports.com A few of these guys came from TAD, which was the premier highend tune shop, up until the owner decided to end street car work to concentrate on SCCA Pro rally cars exclusively.

Automotosports has a chassis dyno as well.

Both of these shops specialize in drag racing (so they know their NOS) but most importantly unlike a lot of other shops, they are at the tracks constantly doing R&D and proving themselves in a public atmosphere, instead of just talking.

Sound Performance (also known as SP) is also very knowledgable. They are big into Supras...

Yup...my SC300 had an SP setup in it, first vvt-i car with an AEM...585 rwhp daily driven luxury coupe...fun car.

Larry/Gary/Ivan definitely know their 2JZ's, but I don't know that i'd want them working on an NSX. Just before I bought mine I had the owner bring it to them to check it over....they were not very thorough and apparently didn't know everything to check, since they missed a bunch. For a Toyota or Lexus though, I would not hesitate.

I was into nitrous for awhile and cannot stress enough what others have said here....safety and tuning...Hobbs fuel press switch, window switch, a wideband should be in there as well. If you have an AEM you can do some nifty things with juice, but not 'necessary.'

- Jon

I truly appreciate all the help thus far....

I'm waiting for returned phone calls, but at least now I can have educated questions and answers. :wink:

Dave

speed within reach said:
As mentioned, the is a lot to putting together a solution past just bolting on off the shelf kits. If you have clear objectives, a strong motor, and good results from a compression test behind you the next logical step may well be to scavege for information and get all of your ducks in a row. :)

We receive few inquiries for this, but I am thinking that you may wish to contact Mike here at SWR. He also has personal experience with the various NOS offerings for the NSX and had a very pricey complete system put together himself as I recall awhile back on his own NSX. I am sure he could also lend a hand in your pursuit for more information and product at the least.

Best Regards,

John

John, just to be clear (I built and installed Mikes N20 kit,a very sick setup!) I am also selling one last kit and I have a buyer for Mikes kit.Mike is selling his as he is going turbo on a stock motor and he cant have both IMHO.

DRZZZ, I am currently FUBAR from an accident and rehab
ing a new titanium shoulder so no new installs or builds other then the one kit I have left and I have not been pushing it due to my condition,it will go up soon in the forum sale section.you are welcome to pm me if you wish to talk shop on the install of whatever kit you get,their are some NSX specific tweaks you need to know about that effect A/F. GOOD LUCK and use a good installer. I also have some very useful install pics you can use.

I just saw your pm,I will be in touch. happy holiday!

Last edited:
I pm'd you bad carma. I'll take one of the kits. Why would you spend 10K for TT's or an S/C for only 80-100 hp when for much less you can spray 100hp only when needed? I know it's not good for the motor, but neither is FI. I've heard more horror stories about FI than I have NOS. I have a TNT Viper and just bought an NSX because I just love the look, but man are they low on power. The 100 shot should satisfy that.
Shoot me a pm if they are still available.

isellpower said:
I pm'd you bad carma. I'll take one of the kits. Why would you spend 10K for TT's or an S/C for only 80-100 hp when for much less you can spray 100hp only when needed? I know it's not good for the motor, but neither is FI. I've heard more horror stories about FI than I have NOS. I have a TNT Viper and just bought an NSX because I just love the look, but man are they low on power. The 100 shot should satisfy that.
Shoot me a pm if they are still available.

Isellpower, I received your pm and have responded,talk to you soon! BTW lets not open up a can of worms about what is better in regards to Turbo,S/C or N20...to each their own and everyone has their reasons about choice and must live with them....some happier then others but thier choice never the less,IMHO if done RIGHT I think they are all safe and not 'bad ' for the motor,done poorly a nightmare.

Thanks Carma. I'll try not to stir anything up. I tried the search, but all I found were posts telling people to "use the search". :confused:

So BadCarma (Dave) has an only one NOS kit left:eek:. I'll take it! Price is no object. No need to discuss anything on the phone, just send me your PayPal info and I'll send the $$$ ASAP. You be the NOS MAN :biggrin:

Back