• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nitto NT01 grip..?

I have never tried it on track as I use Yoko slicks, but made me thinking..

If,

• Yokohama A005 (230/610R17 & 280/650R18 mid compaound) is 100% grip,
how much would you rate the

• Nitto NT01 (235/40R17 & 275/35R18) in %?????

never tried A005's... on my Z, Falken Azenis RT-615's spin all day where NT-01's just grip and go like its AWD. its not meant to be a drag tire, but yeah its that good. as for handling? well i have no complaints. its not a track car, but it certainly does well in the canyons.

I have never tried it on track as I use Yoko slicks, but made me thinking..

If,

• Yokohama A005 (230/610R17 & 280/650R18 mid compaound) is 100% grip,
how much would you rate the

• Nitto NT01 (235/40R17 & 275/35R18) in %?????

I can't provide the answer exactly as you posed your question, hell, I can't even give you an apples-to-apples comparison on the car you're tracking with. I have not used NT01 on track with my NSX. And I haven't used the Yoko's you mention. But . . . .

I have used the NT01 on my Spec Miata track car and they are very comparable to the Toyo RA1. They wear well, operate at high slip angles (read: easy to slide and still stay under control), and have very high grip.

I like 'em!

FWIW

It will probably be 3-6 seconds faster per lap depending on the track.

Be careful, this greatly increased grip levels will tax your oiling system. They are AWEOME tires. You'll never wanna go back.

Billy

Billy. How would you rate the NT01 vs the toyo ra 1 for watkins glen. I've been running the toyos 235/40/17 & 275/35/18 at the glen. Gary
RA1 is a tried and true tire, squirms a bit at full tread depth, then very responsive with a lot of grip when worn down to the '4 grooves'.

NT01 is more responsive with less squirm than RA1 at full tread depth and when worn down to a slick (with 2 grooves) it is extremely responsive with a lot of grip. Overall, more grip and faster than RA1. Most people like the transition.

Billy don't give Gary any bright ideas:wink: My 4 groove RA1's will be waiting Gary :tongue:

unless you're going to run them in the wet, consider shaving ra1 from 8/32" to 5/32". they'll be noticeably faster and more predictable from the start with only a small trade off in longevity. racers who are looking for every tenth will shave them to 4/32 or even less but i find that 5/32 is a very good compromise. it's worth noting that nt01 and 888 are molded to 6/32 and generally do not need to be shaved.

Last edited:
unless you're going to run them in the wet, consider shaving ra1 from 8/32" to 5/32". they'll be noticeably faster and more predictable from the start with only a small trade off in longevity. racers who are looking for every tenth will shave them to 4/32 or even less but i find that 5/32 is a very good compromise. it's worth noting that nt01 and 888 are molded to 6/32 and generally do not need to be shaved.
The NT01 can be shaved down to just the 2 circumferential grooves -and they are probably much quicker than R888 and shaved RA1.

I always shaved the ra1 to either 4 or 5/32. Have run them for 5 years. I called around . No one has 275/35/18. anyone know of someone who has them. If not, can get the nito. worth shaving to 4/32, or leave it at 6/32?
.\your info is appreciated. Gary

It will probably be 3-6 seconds faster per lap depending on the track.

Be careful, this greatly increased grip levels will tax your oiling system. They are AWEOME tires. You'll never wanna go back.

Billy

???????? They have more grip than the YOKOHAMA A-005 slick tyres?????? Wow......

***A005 is 3-6 seconds quicker than NT01.

Depends who's driving. :biggrin:

It comes down to this.... are you getting tired of going through A005s and pissing away the $$$? If so, the NT01 is a GREAT tire for track duty that will last 5x as long and give you almost as much fun. Fun is why we do it, no? If you are two or three seconds slower per lap, then work on improving that base time and have fun. I was running 1:20 times at my local track on NT01s. When I switched back to street tires, I was running mid 1:23s, with an occasional 1:22. Now after a few weekends working in improving my times on the street tires, I'm back to high 1:20s - less than 0.5 sec per my best time on NT01s. In my opinion, going backwards (tire wise) has made me relearn how to really drive a car aggressively with a larger slip angle. It will be interesting to see what happens when I go back to NT01s and start pushing harder.

older-driver.jpg

Last edited:
for your use gary 6/32 and you should be fine.

what kind of track temp u are running, i shipped 3 sets of nt 01 to my buddy in hk. It went on his caymen, he said the tire is softer than yokohama's offering, it doesn't feel as sharp, however, it provide consistant lap time; we weren't even talking about the yoko full slicks that u using though. I had the nt o1 for a few years, it doesnt fall off its performance, it is not sensitive to heat cycle nor storage, i had a set that had last 3 years! by comparison, a 048 is very good on its 2nd to 4th track day, then fall off its face. So yeah, if u were going yo use it for street and track, its worth it; so does lapping n practising; but if u were time attack or racing, unless ur competitors are using the same tires, u will lose some edge

I'm finding the Toyo R-888's fall off pretty quickly too.

Would love to try the 01's, but they don't make them in the sizes I need.

what kind of track temp u are running, i shipped 3 sets of nt 01 to my buddy in hk. It went on his caymen, he said the tire is softer than yokohama's offering, it doesn't feel as sharp, however, it provide consistant lap time; we weren't even talking about the yoko full slicks that u using though. I had the nt o1 for a few years, it doesnt fall off its performance, it is not sensitive to heat cycle nor storage, i had a set that had last 3 years! by comparison, a 048 is very good on its 2nd to 4th track day, then fall off its face. So yeah, if u were going yo use it for street and track, its worth it; so does lapping n practising; but if u were time attack or racing, unless ur competitors are using the same tires, u will lose some edge
What other R-compound tires would be better? NT01 seems to be the class of the field in its category.

Billy or anyone else who has used the NT01. 2000 nsx, stock suspension, non-compliant rear beam and toe links. What cold and hot tire pressures do you suggest for the front and rear? thanks.
While opinions differ dramatically on this subject, I do not belong to the camp that likes the stock pressures hot or cold.

For most street tires or R-comps (NT01 included) 36-38psi HOT is what I shoot for - to maximize the grip of the tires. Lets say 37psi hot front and rear. From there, if the car oversteers, i'll bump the fronts up to 40-42psi hot or adjust the camber or toe when I get back home.

Billy

While opinions differ dramatically on this subject, I do not belong to the camp that likes the stock pressures hot or cold.

For most street tires or R-comps (NT01 included) 36-38psi HOT is what I shoot for - to maximize the grip of the tires. Lets say 37psi hot front and rear. From there, if the car oversteers, i'll bump the fronts up to 40-42psi hot or adjust the camber or toe when I get back home.

Billy

exactly what I did. seems like the tires did best between 37-40, but once I got to 40, i take it off to 38 and the tires will stay around the same pressure the rest of the day.

Billy, my buddy was comparing other tires that we don't have here, A048, A050, or Dunlop D01J... They have softer compound over those market as well.

The NT01's are incredible. I ran Victoracers for a few years (nice), than RA1's (nice), than R888's (total shit), than 4 sets of NT01's (awesome!). I shave the NT01's to 4/32'' but I probably don't need to and I heat cycle them on my first session out. I run the NT01's 36/36 hot.

I ran my fastest lap ever at Willow Springs on my 34th session during a POC Time Trial group. Out of 20 plus P cars, I placed 3rd behind two GT3's on slicks. I was very proud to let a few people know that my tires had 34 sessions on them (I had the recorded white stripes on my tires so I wouldn't forget). I was able to get 37 sessions out of them before they corded. Keep in mind that I drive my car to and from all of my local tracks, so that is a lot of mileage. I know the NSX is a momentum/finesse car instead of a horsepower car, therefore my driving style is pretty easy on tires. However, 37 sessions at full tilt and a lot of street driving is amazing and such a good investment.

That being said, I'm going to try the Hankook C51's next. Can these possibly be faster than NT01's??? That's what I'm hearing.

I am fairly in love with this tire. I run the 235 / 275 stagger and have seen my lap times consistently drop every time I go out.

I have yet to become comfortable with 'rotation' on them yet but from what i've gathered, its very predictable.. I just want to take my car home lol

Back