• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No Ignition Lights, No Crank, Fully Charged Battery

Have a mystery I'm hoping someone can help solve. While leaving a friends house in BFE this evening I turned the ignition key and had no ignition lights on the dash, no chime, no fuel pump sound, and no crank - not even a click. Tried again and again, still no hint of ignition or engine turn over. I did have fully charged battery (replaced one month ago) so dome and headlights were operational and bright, and the climate control 'sniffer' fan was turning and would go off when I turned the key to the crank position - but that was it. Tried the key wiggle thingie a dozen or more times in all positions, no results. Disconnected the battery for >1 minute, reconnected, still nothing. Searched prime for a half hour and it appeared I had tried everything available at the moment given it was dark and I could not pull the ignition switch as my friend literally has zero tools and neither did I. Therefore, after an hour of this I decided to pack it up and accept that I would be a vegabond for the evening. Replaced my spare, closed the hood, trunk, engine cover, all doors and locked the car up for the night. For some reason as I was walking back to his door, I stopped in my tracks, unlocked the car and tried turning the key one last time and was greeted by bright ignition lights on the dash, a chime, the two seconds of fuel pump prime, engine crank over and the beautiful sound of Lola purring like nothing had ever happened. I then drove the hour home with no issues.

Something similar happened about 6 months ago and simply disconnecting the battery was the cure at that time. If anyone has an idea of what happened this evening it would certainly put my mind at ease the next time I take her out for a jaunt across state lines. Thanks in advance.

But he would have the dash light up then, no? Check the battery ground cables first.

Things to check:
battery. (Even if newly replaced)
battery terminals (tight and clean?)
main relay
ignition switch.
Alternator charging?

Thanks Bram, goldNSX and warrenw for the excellent suggestions. Battery cables are tight and clean, but haven't yet had the chance to check the battery itself or the main relay. Alternator should be fine as headlights are still operating normally and shine bright. Last night installed new plugs and coil packs then took Lola out for a spirited ten mile drive before putting her to bed in the garage. This morning, no dash lights, no ignition, no crank. And, of course, today it will crest 80 degrees here in Jersey without a cloud in the sky.

Dr. Larry B has agreed to get Lola into the Warwick Urgent Care Clinic for a complete diagnostic with treatment Thursday evening. Right now he's also leaning toward the ingition switch being the culprit but not yet ruling anything out. Will be sure to post the outcome of the diagnostic by the end of the week.

Yup, 'twas the ignition switch. Thanks to all who responded and especially Dr. Larry! To get the car started and drive to Warwick I had to fiddle with the key in the ignition for quite a while this afternoon. After ten minutes it was evident I had to gently wiggle, pull and push back and forth to find the sweet spot for the ignition lights to come on. Then I had to push the key inward while turning the key to start otherwise it went into full tilt mode again. If I didn't push on the key, or pulled, all was lost. I guess this makes logical sense, after 18 years of a full key chain including a bottle opener, Swiss army knife, Mag flash light and ZZ Top Charm hanging from the ignition the contacts were just not making connection so by pushing they were re-established? Anyway, once started the drive to Warwick was a breeze. While this description may not pertain to every case, I hope it helps others in the future.

Back