• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No launch control on GT-R per Nissan

Stopped at the Nissan dealer today and looked at 2 GT-R's, was told Nissan never mentions launch control and it should not be used, in fact they have a 3 page disclaimer from Nissan ( I believe) on the dash that must be signed. He said Nissan will not cover abuse to tranny or whatever and launch control is abuse. He says Nissan does NOT talk about the launch control anywhere in manual, etc.

I was shocked, I will not buy one of these.

Ps. Salesman said NSX is one of his all time favorite cars, loves them, he wanted to talk more about the NSx, he knew his car facts.

Signing a GTR purchase agreement is like signing for a mortgage loan contract.

Nissan has a ridiculous list
Practically saying - You can't do anything in this car other than drive it like a G37. If peddle to the metal, it will be recorded and we will not honor the warrantee.

Sign here.................
Date........................

I was thinking about picking one up used in 3-4 years. But if the tranny is this fragile, there's no way.
I imagine this is going to cause their resale value to go through the floor.

I had a feeling this flappy paddle gearbox would be the weak link. This car would be bulletproof with a heavy duty manual transmission. The fact that the owners manual has a page to keep track of how many transmissions were replaced on the car is scary enough. Sure it shifts quick but I really don't care if it shifted at the speed of light. I want to shift the gears and rev match MYSELF. I saw a video of the GTR vs. the M3. The M3 driver was working the car, actually "driving" it. The GTR driver is simply sitting in his seat pressing a lever. There no interaction with the driver and the car. It's driving a video game. B O R I N G. Nice car but it lacks a proper transmission. JMO.

well i actually had a different experience with the dealership.

I went to go check out the GTR they had in inventory and spoke to the owner of the dealership directly. He was very informative and did explain the warranties and coverage pretty well. This is what I understood...

-Launching the car with VCD OFF will void warranty. You can still launch the car in RACE mode, but it will launch from 3xxxrpm, and not 4xxx.

-After 10 launches from a dead stop, transmission needs to be serviced.

-the only three things that will void warranty are the VCD "off" issue, certified-scheduled maintenance, and tampering with the trunk insulation (heat issues from the transmission)

-he explained to me that the blackbox only records up to xx amount of hours before it resets. i forget the exact number, but i think it was 8 hours. i'm not sure how honest he was being, but it makes sense that a blackbox cannot just keep recording forever. with those regards he said just leave the car on for that amount of time before going back to the dealership and no one will know.

anyway, i wasnt there to buy a car, but he was nice enough to let me test drive his own personal GTR. Pretty fast, well built. I was impressed.

Maybe this will encourage the vspec if not future standard GT-R's to come with a proper gear box.

Again it seems that the Nissan GTR is just too good to be true.

If I were in the market for this "monster truck" I'd be having the dealership principal sign a disclaimer myself that states the restrictions and limitations of the car. Then I'd take a video camera and plant it in the car to record the "10" freebies you get for launching the car. That way you have record of how you used it.

Then I'd go purchase some Advil for when I need to have the car serviced under warranty because it will surely be a hassle.

This seems so reminiscent of the BMW M3 and the launch control issues that many owners faced. My mate had nothing but trouble with his M3 SMG and threw his keys at the dealership here in frustration and told them to keep the POS. Warranty issue after warranty issue...

I'll keep my NSX thanks.

well i actually had a different experience with the dealership.

I went to go check out the GTR they had in inventory and spoke to the owner of the dealership directly. He was very informative and did explain the warranties and coverage pretty well. This is what I understood...

-Launching the car with VCD OFF will void warranty. You can still launch the car in RACE mode, but it will launch from 3xxxrpm, and not 4xxx.

-After 10 launches from a dead stop, transmission needs to be serviced.

-the only three things that will void warranty are the VCD "off" issue, certified-scheduled maintenance, and tampering with the trunk insulation (heat issues from the transmission)

-he explained to me that the blackbox only records up to xx amount of hours before it resets. i forget the exact number, but i think it was 8 hours. i'm not sure how honest he was being, but it makes sense that a blackbox cannot just keep recording forever. with those regards he said just leave the car on for that amount of time before going back to the dealership and no one will know.

anyway, i wasnt there to buy a car, but he was nice enough to let me test drive his own personal GTR. Pretty fast, well built. I was impressed.

Sounds way too risky for a possible $10,000 tranny repair.
My choice is a Ford GT if they ever come down in price.

Just think of it as a Japanese Ferrari 355 in terms of maintenance... People still bought those didn't they?

Its a "supercar" isn't it? So why is exorbitant maintenance expenses and finiky gearboxes anything unusual?

If you've got the 100k to drop on the car why do you care anyway? It isn't a Maxima after all. People drop that much on a new baby Aston and will have 10k in scheduled maintenance inside the first year. Big deal. Who cares?

IT COMES WITH THE TERRITORY.

Just think of it as a Japanese Ferrari 355 in terms of maintenance... People still bought those didn't they?

Its a "supercar" isn't it? So why is exorbitant maintenance expenses and finiky gearboxes anything unusual?

If you've got the 100k to drop on the car why do you care anyway? It isn't a Maxima after all. People drop that much on a new baby Aston and will have 10k in scheduled maintenance inside the first year. Big deal. Who cares?

I did not get the money I have by making decisions like buying a 355 or GT-R with big dollar maint.
I hate paying big maint for cars, so that is one reason we buy buy Honda and Acura.
I almost bought a 550 Ferrari but looked into maint cost and there was no way for me.
We each spend it in different ways.

I think its great that Nissan is having all these tranny problems and people are starting to take notice. Hopefully they decide to throw in a bulletproof 6-speed manual and be done with all the whining and crying from everyone.

But why are we all complaining? Didn't the first NSX have the infamous snap-ring problem. Current owners shouldn't complain because that's what happens to the first batch of products... they still need alot of testing and you just became their test subjects.

I think its great that Nissan is having all these tranny problems and people are starting to take notice. Hopefully they decide to throw in a bulletproof 6-speed manual and be done with all the whining and crying from everyone.

But why are we all complaining? Didn't the first NSX have the infamous snap-ring problem. Current owners shouldn't complain because that's what happens to the first batch of products... they still need alot of testing and you just became their test subjects.

The snap ring was a manufacturing defect, not design flaw like a GT-R tranny.

People always get this fact wrong. The first NSX did not have snap ring problem. Only later in 91 and early 92 get that snap ring but not on all of them does.

say, what?

Its a "supercar" isn't it?
No, you're absolutely incorrect. It isn't a super-car in terms of performance, if driven as-per the manufacturer's mandated ultimatum. For it to perform like a super-car (which it obviously can), it voids the warranty & goes against the manufacturer's instructions as well as ultimately destrying the transmission.

Nissan fugh'd up big-time if the 'Ring times & their personal claimed times/splits/performance-results were based on using the launch-control. Because those numbers are indeed super-car'esque figures.
da3dalus said:
If you've got the 100k to drop on the car why do you care anyway?
I got $100k to drop in a car, but do I feel compelled to pay for a manufacturing defect for a product that doesn't perform as advertised? No.

da3dalus said:
The key-point you seem to fail to recognize is the 355/F1 can be & was/is driven as stated by Ferrari, w/o having a major component failing prematurely.

Throttle & flog a 355, it won't F-A-I-L. Upkeep/maint'... expensive? HeII yea. . .

Sure, the engine-out belt-replacement service is pricey. But, it's all labor. And what would one expect on a hand-assembled, purpose-built exotic sports-car (sans' the NSX... :D)?
da3dalus said:
People drop that much on a new baby Aston and will have 10k in scheduled maintenance inside the first year. Big deal. Who cares?
Gosh, just stop posting will you, please!?!

A new 'baby' Aston Martin is generally ~$125k-$135k+ when priced w/ gas-guzzler tax & few options/accessories. That's exclusive of TTL.

997 911 Carrera's, M6's, and SL500's are ~$100k cars.

And, no new Aston Martin requires scheduled maint'/service of $10k in the first year, nor in any year. Besides, they come w/ new-car scheduled maint' to be provided by the dealer.

Do you own a V8 Vantage? A DB9? A DBS? If you don't, then don't post such drivel & nonsense.
da3dalus said:
B.S. Stop posting such rubbish. Jeez. . .

A vehicle billed to do sub ~3-5s 0-60 runs, only doing 4.0s+ 0-60 runs is laughable. Don't get me wrong, I've consistently supported & backed this Nissan offering for over the past year w/ steadfast doggedness towards the naysayers & elitists. But, if the launch-control (which obviously provides the super-car'like performance) voids the warranty & ultimately destroys the transmission, that is irreprehensible in my book. Obviously others may disagree. But it seems those who do aren't owners or even prospective ones at that. Hence their opinion, insight, and outlook is worth as much Western Union money-order from Nigeria. . .

Unless you have something meaningful & fact-based to say, or to make a correction, please don't post back on this thread.

Thanks, in-advance! :cool:

Last edited:
nothing to comeback w/, as predicted!

Could you do the same?
Everything I said has a fundamental fact/basis or actuality/reality to it. Not like the mindless/senseless/exaggerated crappe' for words you poorly articulated. So no, I will not leave this thread on your terse wish & whim.

Go back and re/reread/re-reread (not sure of your reading comprehension, as mine isn't all that good either relative to my esteemed contemporaries here on 'Prime, so I at times need to review posts more than once)... was there any value, accuracy or even logical sense to the original post made by you?
da3dalus said:
Thank-you, sincerely. Not just on my behalf, but many others on 'Prime (via pm's, emails, IM's, phone-calls) for whom apparently I've become a voice for. I'm willing to take the initiative & take the heat to keep the riff-raff & inane comments on this beloved site of ours to a minimum.

That very 3-lettered word you typed is the most meaningful thing you've stated on this thread (I exclude past/future posts, as each thread is of it's own moment in time).

And to keep from getting too tangential (of which I earnestly/diligently try to avoid)...

On-topic: is there any way to know or find out whether or not launch-control was used for the various Nissan press-releases (regarding the 'Ring, their own in-house testing, and other track-outings) and other independent/magazine-tests, etc'? I've read & heard first-hand from an actual owner or two that sans' launch-control, initial accel' is really good but far from mind-numbing/blazing fast as on the 911 Turbo & GT2, C6 Z06, etc'. . .

Last edited:
Osiris_x11, the original 3.3 done by I believe edmunds (don't quote me on that) and multiple other tests in the 3.3-3.4 range 0-60 wise were done using the launch control.

Theoretically the launch control shouldn't distort the best 0-60 time by more than a few tenths at most. Now whether that's the only consistent* way to achieve those figures or not is an entirely different story. As long as there isn't some systematic handicap you'd assume any 500hp vehicle with awd would produce a fairly impressive 0-60. The GT2 and 911's in general are special because the unique drive train layout in correlation with initial acceleration/traction.

we need our own 'Prime GT-R!

sahtt, thanks man for the info'. Gives me a start for a google/Yahoo! evening/night! :D

There's a local owner who told me that w/o launch-control (assuming that's all he toggled-off), his 0-60s was like ~4.0'ish whereas doing whatever-else (toggling launch-control off), he was ~3.5'ish. Now, when we're already that low in an interval of time (sub-4's) and still a 1/2 sec' difference, that's massive (compared to the NSX NA1 5spd. manual's 0-60 in 5.0s-5.2s vs. NA1 4spd. auto's 0-60 in 5.6s-5.8s... that 1/2 second isn't too alarming! :p).

I know, I know, 0-60 and/or 1/4 mi' aren't ideal parameters or benchmark measurements to base everything on. But, they still do mean a lot when speakin' of hurling a ~4'ish sec' vs. a ~3.5'ish sec' projectile from a stoplight/stop-sign/pit-row!

Last edited:

GT-R's are not $100k cars.

I'd be pissed if I could only launch it 10 times in between tranny services.

I'd be buying a Porsche.

Re: nothing to comeback w/, as predicted!

Everything I said has a fundamental fact/basis or actuality/reality to it. Not like the mindless/senseless/exaggerated crappe' for words you poorly articulated. So no, I will not leave this thread on your terse wish & whim.

So the problem is my statement of opinion rather than fact right? And your posting facts right?

No, you're absolutely incorrect. It isn't a super-car in terms of performance, if driven as-per the manufacturer's mandated ultimatum. For it to perform like a super-car (which it obviously can), it voids the warranty & goes against the manufacturer's instructions as well as ultimately destrying the transmission.

Opinion.

Nissan fugh'd up big-time if the 'Ring times & their personal claimed times/splits/performance-results were based on using the launch-control. Because those numbers are indeed super-car'esque figures.
I got $100k to drop in a car, but do I feel compelled to pay for a manufacturing defect for a product that doesn't perform as advertised? No.

Opinion.

The key-point you seem to fail to recognize is the 355/F1 can be & was/is driven as stated by Ferrari, w/o having a major component failing prematurely.

Opinion.

Throttle & flog a 355, it won't F-A-I-L. Upkeep/maint'... expensive? HeII yea. . .

Opinion.

Sure, the engine-out belt-replacement service is pricey. But, it's all labor. And what would one expect on a hand-assembled, purpose-built exotic sports-car (sans' the NSX... :D)?
Gosh, just stop posting will you, please!?!

Opinion.

A new 'baby' Aston Martin is generally ~$125k-$135k+ when priced w/ gas-guzzler tax & few options/accessories. That's exclusive of TTL.

Potentially factual, i commend you.

997 911 Carrera's, M6's, and SL500's are ~$100k cars.

Factual again, i'm amazed.

And, no new Aston Martin requires scheduled maint'/service of $10k in the first year, nor in any year. Besides, they come w/ new-car scheduled maint' to be provided by the dealer.

Opinion. Nor in any year? Are you not aware of the Vanquish's tranny? And it costs a hell of a lot more than 10k to replace that thing, and apparently probably more frequently as well.

Do you own a V8 Vantage? A DB9? A DBS? If you don't, then don't post such drivel & nonsense.
B.S. Stop posting such rubbish. Jeez. . .

Opinion. And while were at it, I don't own an Aston, but do you?

A vehicle billed to do sub ~3-5s 0-60 runs, only doing 4.0s+ 0-60 runs is laughable. Don't get me wrong, I've consistently supported & backed this Nissan offering for over the past year w/ steadfast doggedness towards the naysayers & elitists. But, if the launch-control (which obviously provides the super-car'like performance) voids the warranty & ultimately destroys the transmission, that is irreprehensible in my book. Obviously others may disagree. But it seems those who do aren't owners or even prospective ones at that. Hence their opinion, insight, and outlook is worth as much Western Union money-order from Nigeria. . .

Opinion.

Unless you have something meaningful & fact-based to say, or to make a correction, please don't post back on this thread.

Thanks, in-advance! :cool:

Opinion.

Thanks much. Have a nice day.

Re: nothing to comeback w/, as predicted!

So the problem is my statement of opinion rather than fact right? And your posting facts right?

Opinion.

Opinion.

Opinion.

Opinion.

Opinion.

Potentially factual, i commend you.

Factual again, i'm amazed.

Opinion. Nor in any year? Are you not aware of the Vanquish's tranny? And it costs a hell of a lot more than 10k to replace that thing, and apparently probably more frequently as well.

Opinion. And while were at it, I don't own an Aston, but do you?

Opinion.

Opinion.

Thanks much. Have a nice day.

Opinion

GTR is a POS!!! Not because of it's ability to perform, but it's inability to hold together when performing..

Renault GTR!!!

Last edited:
troll? poseur? howabout both!

Facts AND real-life/real-time observations (unbiased, objective, and impartial).

I gave you credit for reading comprehension, which you obviously lack in.

Re-read this... (heII, you even quoted it Sherlock!)
Osiris_x11 said:
Everything I said has a fundamental fact/basis or actuality/reality to it.
So your ubiquitous use of "opinion" has made it difficult to multi-quote & maintain context/continuity, so I'll just bullet my points...

- Modern-day super-cars readily eclipse the 4-sec 0-60 rather rather easily. As of now, based on someone who owns one locally, the 4-sec 0-60 benchmark can't be broken w/o using launch-control (also been stated by a few publications). A generation or two ago, it'd be hellava' vehicle, but not in circa' 2009, as to be called a super-car in terms of performance. [how is this 'opinion'?]

- The prolific times of the GT-R by Nissan plausibly may have been due to launch-control activation as well as other machinations, as evident by Porsche's recent outing on the 'Ring w/ it, as they more than likely went by the book (sans' launch-control). A few magazines/publications have been underwhelmed by the GT-R as well, though not all. [how is this 'opinion'?]

- If a Ferrari 355/F1 is driven as-per an enthusiast/track-car as intended/promoted by the manufacturer, the transmission won't prematurely fail & need replacement. If it does fail, or any other major system, there's a thing known as new-owners warranty (obviously under the applicable time/mileage period). [how is that 'opinion'?]

- Yes, earlier 355 models have long-term maint' issues in terms of dependability/reliability. But these are far from catastrophic transmission failures, particularly during the warranty period. And the expensive serv'/maint' is attributable to hours-by-the-book, not by ownership prestige. [how is this 'opinion'?]

- Past brand-new Aston Martin Vanquish'es had preventive reprogramming of the transmission after delivery & even sales, all done under warranty. Zero cost to owner. Ditto for any failed transmissions attributed to the faulty controlling. [how is this 'opinion'?]

- There is no scheduled maint'/service at any interval for a late-model Aston Martin costing $10k at any point in time during ownership, let alone the first year. And obviously any catastrophic failure of system/component would be covered under warranty during the applicable time period. how is this 'opinion'?]

- The GT-R's prematurely failed transmissions aren't under the guise of the manufacturer's warranty, if the vehicle was driven as it was advertised to be (based on performance times). [how is this 'opinion'?]
da3dalus said:
And while were at it, I don't own an Aston, but do you?
Yes. And so does my family, and another in my extended family. [how is this 'opinion'?]

People are laughing at you, so stop posting. On this thread, that is.

I obviously touched a nerve, which I apologize if I did. That was never my intent nor desire. It's not you personally that I'm nor others are affront to. It's your words, ideas, and conclusions.

I don't tolerate B.S. & ludicrous stuff in life, nor on my/our dreamy NSX Prime. I'm a straight shooter who lives w/o hyperbole. I wish to for 'Prime to remain that way, as it always was a fair/intelligent/mature site w/o garbage.

That's the thing about so-called loyal/devout 'Prime members. They are now w/o assertiveness, gall, fortitude, in that they don't comment/post/critique others. Yet they all instead wish for a return to when 'Prime was this/that (analogous to how the Roman populace & more importantly the Senators in 'Gladiator' wanted Rome to return to being a Republic- yet they loved war/mayhem/blood, as well as lacking the cajones to take charge, seize the moment, etc'); they all wish the low-life's weren't around, the different/lower demographic trolls/poseurs were non-existent, and so forth. And instead they let a single individual or a few at most take the initiative, task, and action to take charge. People fail to realize that a community, niche' of owners, a coterie of like-minded enthusiasts, and so forth is only as good as the active/participating members.

Then, these people applaud/adulate that individual or few others who decided to take charge, when face-to-face at gatherings/meets, via IM's, pm's/email's, and so forth. And that's what's what happening now, and will continue. If those individuals permit me to bring them to 'light, so to speak, I shall.

Would that lessen your embarrassment or bring credence/closure to your illogical, glittering-generalities, and such?

I'm not a mind-reader, so I don't know. Though I am aware that this day & age, keyboard jockeys behind a screen don't like to be told when they're wrong or critiqued/criticized. That's what's the most troubling w/ present times, the inability for one to accept accountability or take ownership of their words, thoughts, ideas, when incorrect, mis-factual, and just plain asinine.

If there is more to be said, it'll be via pm, as I'm sure the 'Prime audience has had enough & can frankly care less.

Also, no more pm's people, please. I don't need cheerleaders nor am I Prime's resident watch/guard-dog! :rolleyes:

(however, you seem the type to not let things go & have to have the last word, so I anticipate another nonsensical, trivial/elementary post on-par w/ someone in jr-high... not my words, but someone else's on 'Prime; so prove me wrong, please)

With that said...

I say good-day, sir. I said good-day! ;)

There's only one way to settle this.

Osiris_x11 gives me a ride in his AM. Maybe if I bring enough wine/etc. over I could convince him to let me drive. I have an intuition that he would not fall for that however.

Last edited:
It appears that someone actually has more free time on their hands than myself. That was one hell of a long response.

Impressive to say the least. At the end of the day at least we are arguing about cars on a car forum rather than politics. No hard feelings here. :tongue:

Last edited:
Back