• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No new thread for newbies, trolls and spammers?

Should NSXPrime restrict thread openings?

• Yes, for people with less than a certain number of posts

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No, leave it as it is

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I leave this to the administrators

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just read this announcement on another Honda related board:

"All members with 25 posts or less can not create a new thread. We are doing this to help control the duplicate posts, help with the recent fraud in the for sale forum, and help with the recent amount of mass spamming that has been hitting the boards. Please understand that the admin staff talked about this for a couple of weeks and felt it is one of the best options in our goal in of making the Club RSX forums the best forum in the world. If we find there is abuse then we will raise the number from 25 to 50 or even 100. If you have less than 25 posts you are still able to reply to already created threads, you just can't make new ones. We hope that this will encourage everyone to use the search feature more. There is nothing wrong with bring back a post that is older."

Would that be a good idea for our board too? IMHO this could have at least prevented some ridicoulous threads (e.g. by a troll which was suspended here not long ago) or some double or triple posts by newbies who don't care about the search function or are not able to handle it. If so, which would be a good "thread opening hurdle"? 25, 50, 100?

edit: BTW, I voted for the 3rd option

Last edited:
Bring back the honor system, and make it so you need at least 5 honor points before you can post. ;) :D

Serious questions:
1) Are the duplicate posts creating a lot of additional workload for moderators?
2) Are most reposts by people under 25 posts? I don't think so. Even I've done it unwittingly.

NSXTASY may suggest making the threshold for creating new threads at 10,000. :rolleyes: Don't listen to him. :D

When you spend as much time on prime as some people do you will find at least one repost or duplicate question. OK I know sometimes search does not turn up a thread when you try to see if it has already been posted.

Maybe we need to appoint more mods to help out ?

restrictions...

hmmm... An idea I had longtime ago, and I even offered it as a potential solution in a relevant thread, was to perhaps appoint a 'thread-linker' who would diligently link a thread to the original. This would eliminate alot of the censure and acrimony that can precipitate from a what can be perceived to be an insensitive, trite, or laconic reply by another poster: "Use the search." Often one's first impression to the 'Prime breathren is based on such a thread and curt reply, leading to some ill-will or glib commenting.

Now w/ that said, if someone is wanting replies to a thread topic that has been previously covered but dated/old, and possibly obsolete. Who makes the decision that this new thread doesn't merit real-time answers/posts or insights?

I guess two things I'd like to see in 'Prime is standardized moderation of the Marktet forums, meaning new threads and posts are edited & available to be viewed at a set time or schedule each day AND a thread-linker moderator!

Re: restrictions...

Osiris_x11 said:
I guess two things I'd like to see in 'Prime is standardized moderation of the Marktet forums, meaning new threads and posts are edited & available to be viewed at a set time or schedule each day AND a thread-linker moderator!

Threads are moderated when moderators get a free moment. Setting specific times make it sound too much like a job :eek:

Re: restrictions...

ANYTIME said:
Threads are moderated when moderators get a free moment. Setting specific times make it sound too much like a job :eek:

I know, I know, I knowww... sigh! :redface: You guys do run a tight-ship w/ a superb effort, kudos! Sometimes it's a bit of a challenge for 'Prime users to be idle and "refresh" the Market forums randomly. But in the big picture, it really isn't a major peeve - just more of an accommodation or convenience. I don't want to miss-out on some fix-it wingow "thingies" by posting a reply or sending a pm 8-9hrs later by not knowing when the ad was approved so it could've been viewed!

I've had multiple positive dealings in the Marketplace.
icon14.gif

A novel idea came to mind, again... lol and idle mind is a place for NSX & 'Prime to dance! :tongue:

Does anyone have their Palm/PDA, cel phone browser, etc configured to receive 'Prime forum updates? I don't like to browse using handheld devices, even for weather/directions/traffic/etc. But if I could get 'Prime forums updates automatically downloaded at set intervals during the day, I can then simply browse them at convenience while away from the desktop/notebook. I guess this would be similar to DL'ing your email inbox, and then sorting it out at your convenience. The browser/GPRS/etc isn't on consistently, my personal peeve.

Forcing a new user to post a certain number of times before said user can start their own thread will simply give that user incentive to post for posting's sake so that they quickly reach the posting threshold. Unintended consequences will follow, i.e., an increase in noise posts by new users seeking to run up their post count. Or, the new user will piggyback their new topic onto a dormant thread which may (or may not) be related to the new user's actual topic. I can already hear the calls for "new user moderators" to ensure new user posts are good enough to qualify for new thread privileges.

IMHO, this is a solution in search of a problem. This forum is the product of human interaction. It's not a database schema. As long as humans are allowed to post here, the rigorous elimination of redundancy - normalizing the forum as if it were a database - is surely doomed to failure.

Just my $0.02.

Russ said:
Forcing a new user to post a certain number of times before said user can start their own thread will simply give that user incentive to post for posting's sake so that they quickly reach the posting threshold. Unintended consequences will follow, i.e., an increase in noise posts by new users seeking to run up their post count. Or, the new user will piggyback their new topic onto a dormant thread which may (or may not) be related to the new user's actual topic. I can already hear the calls for "new user moderators" to ensure new user posts are good enough to qualify for new thread privileges.

IMHO, this is a solution in search of a problem. This forum is the product of human interaction. It's not a database schema. As long as humans are allowed to post here, the rigorous elimination of redundancy - normalizing the forum as if it were a database - is surely doomed to failure.

Just my $0.02.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Russ said:
I think Russ is an Oracle DBA. :)

But, he's right. I don't see a big problem with things the way they are. There have been to many instances where a newbie's first post is "what about this car I just found" and it's an honest post that draws useful advice. This newbie would not have been served if he'd had to run around and find an excuse to post in a bunch of other threads first.

Back