• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Noise from transmission?

My newly acquired 91 makes an odd whining humm noise at 55mph especially when I let off the gas peddle in fourth gear and is there but less noticeable in 3rd gear. If I step on it the noise disappears. This is not an air leak noise. Don't hear it in fifth gear at 65 and up. Any ideas? Am a little worried about fourth gear maybe bearings?

Last edited:
Any possibility this could be A/C compressor related? I had a rather loud and distinctive whine coming from the engine bay as well and was sure it was gearbox related. I turned the A/C off and it went away. You might give that a shot first. Having said that my gearbox still whines some but nothing to be overly concerned about.

Thanks but does not seem to be ac related. Has been diagnosed as rack and pinion noise nothing to repair. Could be I am not used to the mid engine. I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to ride in another NSX.

Got stuck in 55 mph traffic yesterday going through Sacramento and the whine is not normal. The sound is like a whine and whistle combined, high pitched and increases in volume when you let off the gas. Tried 3rd gear and still hear it, 4th is the loudest. At 65 it goes away and at 45 it is not there. Mine is a stock 91. Anybody out there experiencing this?

do you know if there are aftermarket parts on car like air-filter...any transmission or ring and pinion mods?

Don't just take it to your mechanic unless he is NSX expert. Many mechanic don't know this car. I'm sure the CA guys will lead you to a NSX expert.

My Tech knows his stuff and I'm not questioning his judgement. The problem wasn't demonstrated well. We just took it around the block a few times. It is a weird sound though and needs to be addressed. Just thought I would throw it out there to the forum and the response has shown it needs to be demonstrated on the freeway.

Back