• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

noisy rotors?

Recently I've been hearing my brakes being rather noisy. It seems to be isolated to just the front. It sounds like a 'wooshing' noise, almost like the brake pad lightly rubbing against the rotor, which intensifies when I brake. It is most noticeable when I first start driving.

Any thoughts on the problem?

TIA!
Rob

It's possible that your brake pads are getting worn. Some brake pads (including the stock pads) have a metal tab or "squeaker" that starts to make noise when the pads need replacing; others don't have a squeaker but there's an adhesive area that they use in manufacturing the pad to affix the pad material to the metal backing plate. When the pads get worn, they start to make a noise such as you describe.

Another possible cause is, if it's rainy or humid and the car sits for a few days, the surface of the rotors can start to rust. This can cause a similar noise the first few times you brake, as the rust wears off.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 September 2001).]

Back