• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Non-Oxygenated Premium Fuel

My car will be sitting over the winter. I will be running it at least once a month to keep things moving. My question: Should I use non-oxygenated premium fuel in this car since it has less of a tendency to break down long term as oppsed to the ethonal based fuels? I also usually use Sea Foam as well in vehicles I don't run on a regular basis. Is there a contraindication with the non-oxygenated fuels and catalytic converters?

Thanks in advance

What about using stabil fuel and not worry about a thing when its sitting for awhile.. Ive used it every winter during storage.. Starts up every spring.

I haven't bothered with Sta-bil or with any special fuel, just plain old oxygenated pump premium, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever in the twenty-one winters mine has sat around. And you don't need to start it monthly if you don't want to. The only thing I've done is make sure the battery is on an automatic charger, so it will charge when it needs it without overcharging.

To be honest, ive never heard of such premium fuel. I dont think we have it here in this small town.

Oxygenated fuel is, very simply, gasoline which has been blended with ethanol, usually 7-10 percent ethanol, sometimes called "gasohol". It is also called "reformulated gasoline", or RFG. (Years ago, some fuels were mixed with a chemical called MTBE rather than ethanol, but the use of MTBE has been pretty much discontinued everywhere.) In 1990, Congress passed the Clean Air Act amendments, which mandated the use of such fuels because they produce less pollution than straight gasoline.

Quoting the EPA website, "RFG is required in cities with high smog levels and is optional elsewhere. RFG is currently used in 17 states and the District of Columbia. About 30 percent of gasoline sold in the U.S. is reformulated." It's what you'll find in the pump in most of the large metropolitan areas throughout the country.

Last edited:
Nonoxygenated fuels do not contain any ethonal or MTBE additives. It is pure gasoline and thus has a much lower tendency to absorb moisture from the atmosphere and then start to break down. That is why I am looking at this fuel for sitting over the winter months. I know it is a dirtier burning fuel, that is why I am concerned about the catalytic converters getting plugged. It's probably not an issue but I just want to know for sure.

This was taken from the EPA website:

Nonoxygenated gasolines can absorb only very small amounts of water before phase
separation occurs. Gasolines containing ethers such as MTBE or ETBE can absorb slightly
more water before phase separation occurs. In such circumstances, the ethers remain
mostly blended into the gasoline. The situation is more complicated for ethanol-containing fuels, however. Such fuels can absorb significantly more water without phase separation occurring than either nonoxygenated or ether-containing gasolines.​

The ethonal based fuels you buy at the gas pumps has a tendency to absorb moisture in a short period of time and then break down. These fuels should be used in three months or less.

Last edited:
Just like Ken I have never done anything special to my car over winter other than a battery tender. I'm coming up on winter #16.

I live in the 15th largest city and thank gosh the majors don't sell oxygenated fuel here, at least not yet. The engine related negatives have been well documented using oxygneated fuel. I personally wouldn't run it in my worst enemies car. But i am a picky anal purist, no slam intended to those who like it.

It only makes sense to use Stabil if the fuel is going to sit for more than 3 months. Gelled fuel is just an absolute nightmare.

JMO

I have experienced problems with gas containing ethanol in my motorcycle. I never had an issue pre-ethanol, but storing it the same way and duration with ethanol gas clogged the carb jets. I did some research and learned this is common in older carbed vehicles and small engines. While a FI motor will not be as sensitive to that, I'm now religiously using Stabil in anything that's likely to sit more than 2-3 months with 10% ethanol gas because it seems to go south a bit faster than plain gas.

Having some 40+ motorcycles in the barn and working on them daily, I can tell you that ethanol based gas is a real PITA on older motors. The ethanol attacks the rubber seals, hoses, gaskets, and creates a process similar to melting plastic. I have some bikes with pure gasoline that is 4-5 years old and will start easily while I have other identical bikes with ethinol gas that starts to gum up in weeks. If possible I would not use oxignated fuel but it isn't always easy to find. Ever drive long distances and get significantly better mileage on one tank of gas then another----it's often the fuel (assuming all other things are equal). As an experment, just pour some ethanol based gas into a clear plastic container and watch what happens---it gets cloudy, starts to react with the plastic and ~~~~~.
Modern cars (like NSX) use hoses, o-rings, etc. that are designed to not react with the ethanol so it is probably OK.
There are often other fuel issues like using Marithon Gas ----State of KY had a contract for all their vehicles until the fuel pumps started failing by the hundreds. There was some kind of BS addative in their gas. So, fill you tank with Shell super don't worry about it.

NO problems with oxygenated fuel? Really? I'm a retired design engineer/designer who has engineered/designed/installed/ repaired fuel transportation and dispensing facilities on occasion for 40 years. I worked on the first reformulation equipment way back in the 80's when working for Ashland Chemical. I'm not going to waste my time documenting anything for those who are apparently already experts. The bottom line is they increase wear and cause various buildups for this note we'll just call undesirable residue. The seal issues are of course solvable and small potatoes. Just google "problems with reformulated fuel" and sit back for about 6 hours of research, assuming of course you have the background to understand the research. Reformulated fuel just like the ethanol joke is a travesty that has so grossly complicated our fuel supply train it was embarressing to be involved in these projects. All is not as you've been told. Will this fuel likely cause problems in an NSX engine?. Yes it likely will have some negative effects that will likely not be noticable. But if you are a perfectionist as i am, you will know the small and incremental damage is happening none the less. Just don't run that crap. Even if you don't believe me and any engineer you can find to talk with, why take the chance? To make the environment cleaner? Thats a joke also IMO.

30 percent of the gasoline sold in the United States is reformulated gasoline, including almost all of it in the biggest metropolitan areas in the country. This has been true for the past 15 years. If this causes problems in cars, explain to me why mechanics all over the country, especially in those areas, haven't been inundated with cars with problems resulting from reformulated gas. We're all eagerly awaiting your explanation... :rolleyes:

Back