• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

North New Jersey Primers... I Need Your Help

thats the old battery

ive yet to take a look at what the new one gives...

I really don't know how busy Larry is but I would strongly consider getting the car to him or someone else familiar with NSXs or Honda tuning. From looking at the videos and knowing the car has a non-dedicated fuel ECU / tuning map I would be concerned about the following. Not saying this is what's wrong just what I would do in my garage.

-Compression leak down test to make sure the car didn't lean out somewhere along the way and damage anything.
-Checking ignition timing with a light, making sure the plugs are firing when they should be (especially since your plugs seem to be fouled with fuel). The only issue is I'm not sure how you do that since the NSX has no spark plug wires. I'm sure there's a lead somewhere you can tap to run the light. I would have to research that.
-Again, check the grounds
-When I had my 1988 NSX I had a strange misfire and check engine light issue. Believe it or not I had a loose connection in on a engine harness plug. I need to search around and figure out which one it was for you. However, I had to undo the plug and pack it with dielectric grease, this helped the pins make contact and my issue went away. I will get back to you on which plug it was. I would check this connector since I had an issue like this.
-Lastly... out of the blue, but how's the timing, meaning the valve timing. Is you belt old, could it have jumped a tooth? This is highly unlikely because you said this problem happened before, went away, and then came back.

Because of this "come and go" pattern I am really leaning towards something electronic rather than mechanical. Usually when something mechanically fails, blown ring, jumped belt, etc. the problem is there for good.

Also, don't know if someone else can chime in but I find it odd that the TCS light is on as well. On NSXs does this usually happen when the MIL light comes on? Do they come on together?

-John

^^^

As for my electrical problems on my 1998. I'm thinking this has nothing to do with your issue. I had a hard start issue and then the engine light would come on. My issue was the connetcor on the Cyl Position sensor. My thread is here..... http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22833

I've offered to send you any part you need from my car (which is same year), help you with any tech advice, and even drive up to NJ to help you. Even a single post thanking me for the offer would be nice, but you obviously don't want my very capable help, nor will it be offered anymore. You had no problem taking my money to sell me a part though :rolleyes:.

I truly am DONE trying to be nice to Prime members, and won't bother offereing help anymore...if your NSX is broken down on the side of the road don't expect the guy in the sick TypeR clone with Comptech parts (me) to pull over and help, i've never received an ounce of help from Prime members, but I have from every other car site i've been on.

No good deed ever goes unpunished...

I've offered to send you any part you need from my car (which is same year), help you with any tech advice, and even drive up to NJ to help you. Even a single post thanking me for the offer would be nice, but you obviously don't want my very capable help, nor will it be offered anymore. You had no problem taking my money to sell me a part though :rolleyes:.

I truly am DONE trying to be nice to Prime members, and won't bother offereing help anymore...if your NSX is broken down on the side of the road don't expect the guy in the sick TypeR clone with Comptech parts (me) to pull over and help, i've never received an ounce of help from Prime members, but I have from every other car site i've been on.

You get what you give! Thats a very arrogant statement.

Jugging by your very informative posts, and bad attitude maybe he did not want to deal with you. You don’t know how to handle disagreements, fly off the handle and are quick to threaten and bash.

Scammed by the biggest names in the nsx biz! SoS, Larry B, Vasos, & Dali!

2nd Larry Bastanza happens to be one of the most up standing members this little NSX community has seen. He is quick to help anyone, be it a DIY project, trouble shooting tips, finding that hard to get part. He happens to be a master NSX tec, and President of NSXCA.

Im sure this is a simple misunderstanding on your part, that you have blown way out of proportion.

Maybe you should stick to the off topic UFC section because that the only topic you seem to know what you are talking about.

Duuuuuuuuuudddddddddddde, I've got only one word of advice for you..........
THERAPY!!!!!

hey again.

if it isn't the rrfpr and not the fuel pump then i would suggest looking next at the fuel injectors.

i would suggest cleaning off the terminals of the battery just to make sure no electrical problems exist.

check the o2 sensors as defective units can cause running rich, but not as rich as your car is running. you can check the resistance of the sensors to make sure they are functioning properly still.

try to drain the tank of gas and replace it with another tank, just to rule that out as a possible problem.

other than that, i am not sure what else you can check.

i think this may be one of those 'haul it off to larry b' situations.

best of luck.

where did this come from? am i suppose to thank every single post in this thread? im not on this forum all day to do this...

but yeah, thanks for the offer

anyways, heres an update

i cleaned up the battery terminals, they have this foam spray at pepboys that does wonders. the positive terminal looks brand new. now that i think about it, the negative isnt as dirty, but i guess ill clean it anyways for the hell of it.

i talked to larry, and told him my crankcase oil smells like gas. i looked at my oil dipstick level and its above the 2nd dot. i have no idea if all that extra liquid is gas, or the mech at wayne acura did a piss poor job changing my oil.

according to larry, the fuel in the crankcase might be giving off extra fumes that is being sucked back into the motor causing the motor to misfire with the extra rich mixture. i guess it makes sense to me?

ill be doing an oil/filter change tomorrow and try to vent off any remaining gas in the motor, and plug off the vacuum lines leading into the valve cover. i hope it does something.

i checked all the plugs on the firewall side, and theyre all black, wet, and smells like gas.

hummm....that is strange too.

if you were running incredibly rich for some reason, it would make sense for some amount of gas to seep past the piston rings into the oil, that is if the cylinders are not firing, which may also explain the misfires...

clean up your spark plugs with acetone and a toothbrush and i guess try it again? it seems like the options for the possible cause of these problems are quickly disappearing...

do you think it could be your ecu?
check your o2 sensors just to rule them out.
check if your fuel injectors are working properly also.

hummm....that is strange too.

if you were running incredibly rich for some reason, it would make sense for some amount of gas to seep past the piston rings into the oil, that is if the cylinders are not firing, which may also explain the misfires...

clean up your spark plugs with acetone and a toothbrush and i guess try it again? it seems like the options for the possible cause of these problems are quickly disappearing...

do you think it could be your ecu?
check your o2 sensors just to rule them out.
check if your fuel injectors are working properly also.

how often does a ecu go bad?

how do i check out the o2 sensors?

how do i check out the fuel injectors?

my fuel pressure is around 45/55 with the vacuum on/off

how often does a ecu go bad?

how do i check out the o2 sensors?

how do i check out the fuel injectors?

my fuel pressure is around 45/55 with the vacuum on/off

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120221
post #6 and post #11.

i'm not sure how more descriptive i can get as i don't have the nsx service manual, nor an nsx.

i would highly doubt the ecu going bad. however, if another member is willing to drop by to test this, it shouldn't take that long and would eliminate it as a possible problem. you may have to check into the differences year to year on the ecu b/c i'm not sure.

as for the fuel injectors, i am not sure.

i am sure larry b will have better explanations for checking the fuel injectors and the o2 sensors as his knowledge surpasses mine by, well, a lot.

one more thing to consider:

your engine is getting too much fuel for some reason. this explains the gas smell in your oil, explains why the exhaust fumes are rich smelling, and why the plugs are fouled and smell like gasoline.
because you smell gas in the crank case oil, i would assume there is also gas in the oil pan. replacing the oil and filter would be a good first step.
examine your fuel injector harness also, because if any of these lines short out, it will leave the injectors open, which would result in flooding the engine with fuel.
i do not believe your case would be a constant short of the fuel injectors, but an intermittent one that injects more fuel than required.

this is why i pointed to the ECU as this is really the only component that controls the fuel injection.
this is after ruling out the fuel pump and the comptech rising rate fpr.

thinking about it some more, there are several ways the ecu can trigger the fuel injectors. you need to inquire about this first before you can debug the system.

Last edited:
I had a mouse chew threw some wires that caused a misfire on my vette, it took me forever to trouble shoot. Just a thought. It could be something very simple.

shes ALIVE!!!!!!!!

thanks to everybody for their advice on problem solving

heres a recap of what happened today

i finally got to change the oil and oil filter today. shit was disgusting, black, and smelled like gas. put on a new oem honda filter, and 5.3qt of mobil1 5w30.

while i was draining the oil, i cleaned out the throttle body with one of those sprays from pepboys. works pretty good i think.

after i put the intake back together, and lowered the car, i started it up. it idled a bit "smoother", but it was still misfiring. my heart dropped. i started to lose all hope on getting the car running.

i decided to take apart the rear area where the ecu is hiding. i took a look around, everything seemed to be connected properly. i pushed all the connectors in just to make sure. i didnt really do anything that i would consider a "fix"

turned on the car again. she smoked a lot, but the idle was actually stable. i thought i was imagining things, so i let the car idle longer and longer, and finally she was idling properly. i dont know exactly what fixed the problem, but im like the happiest person in the world right now, and i did all the labor by myself!!!

thanks PRIME!!!

^^^

Hey...I'm super glad everything is working correctly again!! This isn't too surprising, I'm not sure if you read my link posted a few days back in this thread. Anyway, it was from 2004 and I had a strange electrical problem with my 1998 NSX. It ended up being a connector that wasn't making good contact. I took the connector apart and squeezed a ton of dielectric grease in there and the issue went anway and never came back. You may want to do this. Even if the car is working OK now just to reassure yourself that it doesn't come back. If you washed your engine any time in the past this sometimes washes out some of the factory grease and causes bad connections.

SWEET!.

congratulations on getting it running right again. and JUST in time for good weather too! i look out the windows and see all the green and blue skies and hate that i'm stuck inside writing thesis.

from your debugging and what 'cured' your engine, seems like it may have been a faulty short somewhere. make sure when you're not too busy out driving, to check over your wiring harness again and all the connectors.

get out and enjoy!

Hey Ryan,

Great News!! Gald you worked it out. I am still thinking you were loading up the intake with unburned fumes from the fuel in the oil.

I thought of this from my experience many times with old VW motors that had the fuel pump on the engine block. If the pump developed a leak(common) and fuel went into the crankcase, it would only run if you removed the breather, since the carb was sucking up extra fuel from the crankcase. I really think it just took some time, even after the oil change to purge the crankcase of fumes.

Regardless of what it was, time to drive:).

Regards,
LarryB

This is what I get for trying to help the guy out, what happened to Prime, all anyone wants to do is bash and argue, I just wanted to help the guy get his car running and he wasn't responding to any of my posts....did I deserve to get jumped on for that?

where did this come from? am i suppose to thank every single post in this thread? im not on this forum all day to do this...

but yeah, thanks for the offer

See now that is obnoxious. I placed multiple posts offering you any part from my car, any advice over the phone, or even to drive to your state to help you, YES one single post saying thanks or nothanks is what gentlemen do, especially since I JUST bought a part from you. For you to say 'i'm not on this forum all day to do this' makes me so glad I didn't help you, and I won't offer any more, believe me, but if you guys are telling me I need therapy b/c I think it would be nice of the guy to thank me for offering multiple times to help him out with his situation, then maybe it's time to sell the NSX and move on, since I prefer the company of polite people. I really can't believe that my treatment on this forum has become so poor so rapidly simply because I posted my experience re: being scammed by a couple of the biggest names in this community. Everything was fine until then, guess the truth hurt me more than I anticipated. Time for something European...

My suggestion is to check your grounds. I do know that ground problems produce extremely strange issues and because this happened before but cleared by itself lends me to believe you may have a ground that has become loose. I'm not sure where they are in the NSX but you may want to ask around and them check them.

Check all your grounds and electrical connections for the SC installation.
I think this is where the problem more likely lies.

NEXT TIME....LISTEN!:biggrin:

Now find the bad connection because this problem WILL come back if you don't.

Last edited:
fuck!!! shes misfiring again :frown:

ill clean out the throttle body again tomorrow, and mess with the connectors once again

now, im starting to think maybe its my idle control valve? well see

Edgar-1.jpg

Last edited:
i checked the wiring connections joe, and i didnt find anything out of the ordinary :biggrin:

ill check again in the morning

atleast i got to drive her today

Sorry. I am not trying to annoy you when you are facing such a vexing problem.

Good luck tomorrow.

ill give it to you joe, that picture cracked me up :biggrin:

ill try to open up the main relay and resolder everything, see if that will work

Back