• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NOS question on Bell TT and Bell TT question

I am wondering the implications of possibly installing a 70hp NOS kit on a Bell TT car. The car is already equiped with 2 extra injectors through the F5 so I don't think fuel would be a major concern, but I am wondering if this idea is a doable one or one that should be left alone.
Also, for anyone else that has a Bell TT setup I am wondering what max PSI yours is running at (I am currently running it at only 5) and if you're experiencing any detonation or pinging. I am trying to gauge how much higher I can put the boost at with low/no risk.
-Dave
92 white/black NSX TT
97 black/black Supra TT

When a 400 hp NSX just isn't enough...
biggrin.gif

Blowing NITROUS through TURBOS??? Hold on to your hats my friends!!!
biggrin.gif

I don't know about on an NSX, but it's been done. I've had it done on a vette. If you put together a system like that and not blow your engine fairly quickly, you will have achieved something very special.
All I can say is don't even atempt to let anyone do this unless they REALLY know what they are doing. I mean REALLY. I wish you the best.

First, if you build the short block correctly, you can run boost in the double digits easily (I run 16 psi on pump gas). Without the upgrades, I would be hesitant to run more than 6 psi.

Second, you either need a really good engine management system to run NOS with the turbos or you should run a wet system. A direct port wet system would be ideal. IMHO a dry system is very risky with your current setup. If you are serious about running the NOS, I would consider doing the short block up grades needed to run higher turbo boost, as they are also a good idea with laughing gas. The only addition I would make specifically for NOS is suctile cylinder liners if you have a 3.0L motor.

By the way, I am going to add NOS to my turbo car soon.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 12 April 2001).]

Dave,

Nitrous and turbo's tend to work "too well". The incredible cooling effect of nitrous is very synergistic with the (hot) pressurized air from the turbos, making it really critical (and tough) to get the engine the fuel it needs at the right time.

Here's the thing. Your can tune/modify the Bell TT kit to provide the maximum amount of horsepower that the stock NSX engine can reliably handle. So, you have to consider strengthening the internals of the NSX engine before you even consider additional power adders or any major additions that significantly increase the power your Bell TT engine makes.

Get your car dyno'ed, if you're below 425-440 extrapolated hp to the crank, then consider ways to get the Bell kit to that level, including upgrading your fuel and timing management so you can more comfortably run 6+ psi, etc. Don't go beyond that level of power w/o expecting reliability problems. I can't say I have personal experience with that, but enough people on here have said that, that I wouldn't want to test if they're right
smile.gif

Marc

Back