• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX and Snap Ring fixed or not???

I am going to look at an NSX tomorrow. The car is in the snap ring range. The owner says that it has been inspected by two different NSX mechanics and they both verified that the snap ring issue has been fixed. I know you have to replace the upper transmission case, but is there an easy way to tell visually if this has been done?

Thanks,

Carl

1TITENSX said:
Assuming it was done at an Acura dealership, can't any Acura dealership run a search on the VIN to see if the repairs were done :confused:

that depends on when it was done. I heard that they don't keep the record for very long and as for the warranty work, I think they keep it for about 5 yrs.

1TITENSX said:
Assuming it was done at an Acura dealership, can't any Acura dealership run a search on the VIN to see if the repairs were done :confused:
No. Only the dealer that performed the repair can look up repair records, except for recall campaigns (and the snap ring trannies weren't recalled).

Isn't the transmission number printed on the upper tranny housing, which needs to be replaced to prevent snap ring failure? That's what I've been told. If the transmission number on the tranny housing is within the snap ring range, that should imply that you are not in the clear. That's what I've been told.

My '92 had the snap-ring problem "fixed" by the previous owner at ~60,000 miles, but the tranmission number on the top of the transmission case is within range (and the receipt for repairs does not list a new upper transmission case), which suggests that the upper transmission housing was not replaced when it should have been. Almost 30,000 miles later, I haven't had any problems, but I've been told that I should expect it to fail again eventually unless the upper tranny housing is replaced.

The transmission case is two pieces. The "Clutch Housing" and the "Transmission Housing". The "Clutch Housing" has the transmission number on it, and does NOT need replacement. It is the "Transmission Housing" that needs replacement. You would need to know the housing is new by reciept for the work, or knowing who did it, or by looking at a brand new case under there:).

HTH,
LarryB

Back