• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX article in Sports Car Market......................

All its going to say is the NSX was a cool sports car for the early 90's but now its outdated, not fun and impractical. But the good news is you can get a relatively low mileage 2002 in the $24k - $30k range.

All its going to say is the NSX was a cool sports car for the early 90's but now its outdated, not fun and impractical. But the good news is you can get a relatively low mileage 2002 in the $24k - $30k range.

Lol !

I'd be very interested in seeing that too. A guy from Sport Car Market was at C&C a couple weekends ago and really loved the NSX, offered us some free copies he had with him, he asked me a lot of questions, sat in the car and we talked for a while. Wonder if there's any connection...?

2008 was when the "great recession" hit in the USA and was a great time to buy an NSX, or any sports car since many people sold some their toys during that time. Prices were great, and there were more great NSX's for sale than any other time. Before the recession finding a great NSX was almost impossible with most dealers marking up cars by $20k, and clean/rare colored cars simply not coming up for sale very often.. Prices really went down for all "toy cars" during the recession, and NSX's were for the first time pretty easy to find in 2008-2010. Since then I think good NSX's have gone up in value across the board, and depending on the car they are once again much harder to find (97-01 model years as an example). So, if there is a recent article it could actually highlight the NSX as a great collectable.

2008 was when the "great recession" hit in the USA and was a great time to buy an NSX, or any sports car since many people sold some their toys during that time. Prices were great, and there were more great NSX's for sale than any other time. Before the recession finding a great NSX was almost impossible with most dealers marking up cars by $20k, and clean/rare colored cars simply not coming up for sale very often.. Prices really went down for all "toy cars" during the recession, and NSX's were for the first time pretty easy to find in 2008-2010. Since then I think good NSX's have gone up in value across the board, and depending on the car they are once again much harder to find (97-01 model years as an example). So, if there is a recent article it could actually highlight the NSX as a great collectable.

Good point. I bought my NSX and another vehicle near the end of 08. I was very happy with the pricing on both deals. I think gas prices had hit an all-time high (for back then) as well so it dropped prices on SUVs and other gas guzzlers.

Outdated my ass...not fun? WTH?...impractical? HOW?

Dang, my cat would make a better "auto journalist"....

Just sayin'....

The NSX is as tame as a Civic in traffic, as much fun as a Ferrari on the highway (or track), and the maintenance costs are just north of an Accord's...plus you get Japanese bullet-proof reliability. Someone please show me the down-side to the crown jewel definition of sports cars?

Anyone find the article yet?

I have the article as I subscribe to SCM, needless to say it was absurd and inaccurate. I expected better from the best car mag currently on the market, IMO of course.

These teaser excerpts were in the May edition digital copy on their website. Is this the article you are mentioning? It mentions Dale Novak in the excerpts but it was Randy Zussman(sp?) (of SCM) at C&C that I showed my car and discussed the NSX with.

Kid; Can you post the whole article?

Sports Car Market May 2013 - Page 34 </SPAN>
Affordable Classic 1991–2005 Acura NSX</SPAN> A Practical Supercar For the NSX</SPAN> enthusiast, the car is everything it needs to be, and who cares what others</SPAN>
eds to be, and who cares what others might think? by Dale Novak 1995 Acura NSX</SPAN>-T; this one brought $41,000 at Mecum Kissimmee T he automotive world</SPAN>
immee T he automotive world is buzzing with the second coming of the Acura NSX</SPAN>, which is slated to hit the streets in 2015. That’s great news for</SPAN>
nd should be even better news for those who already own a first-generation NSX</SPAN> — as it could prop up the mar- ket by reinvigorating the original</SPAN>
he original breed — and create more demand for the early cars. The Acura NSX</SPAN>, built by Honda from 1990 to 2005 (1991 in North America),</SPAN>
t, highperformance fun and doesn’t need the approval of others More: www.nsx</SPAN>prime.com Alternatives:1992–95 Dodge Viper RT/10, 1990–95</SPAN>
, stroked a $100k check for first dibs. Today, a well-sorted, low-mileage, NSX</SPAN> can be had for $20,000 to $65,000, depending on the model year. In</SPAN>
n you’re hunting for a good example. A high-tech ride from the start The NSX</SPAN> accomplished a few production-car firsts, such as an all-aluminum</SPAN>
ine, with dual overhead cams and variable valve timing. All of the initial NSX</SPAN> coupes had 5-speed manual transmissions, and the V6 produced 270</SPAN>
mained largely unchanged, with a Targa-top model introduced in 1995 as the NSX</SPAN>-T, which was the only model sold in 1995. The fixed roof returned in</SPAN>
styling update and the fixed-roof model was dropped in favor of the Targa NSX</SPAN>-T, which would run until the end of production in 2005. Sports Car</SPAN>
Sports Car Market May 2013 - Page 35 </SPAN>
Expensive tires, transmission repairs Scouring through the blogs and NSX</SPAN> enthusiasts websites, the most common com- plaints appear to be the cost of</SPAN>
truts, automatic transmission issues and exhaust system repairs. While the NSX</SPAN> lacks some of the look-at-me factors enjoyed by other</SPAN>
to miles and a clean vehicle history. You are more likely to see an Acura NSX</SPAN> referred to as “clean” or “very clean” rather than viewed as a</SPAN>
uyer’s mind, as many times we seek out cars that look the part. Drive an NSX</SPAN> into a classic-car show, and you’re likely to have plenty of</SPAN>
next to a 1991 Corvette, and you’ll see what I mean. Of course, for the NSX</SPAN> enthusiast, the car is everything it needs to be, and who cares what</SPAN>
� if you’re a patient shopper. As one would expect, values climb for the NSX</SPAN>-T editions, as the roof comes off, allowing drivers to do their best</SPAN>
. 1991–95 models may have turned the corner — meaning possible future appreciation — while the 1996–2005 years may still be depreciating
</SPAN>.I like these cars — and have since they hit the streets in 1991. In my mind, that means plenty of other guys like them too /If I wanted to squirrel one away, I’d look for a fully documented, fastidiously serviced 1991 NSX or 1995 NSX-T with low miles, the original paint, a clean history and the manual gearbox.</SPAN>

Last edited:
Outdated my ass...not fun? WTH?...impractical? HOW?

Dang, my cat would make a better "auto journalist"....

Just sayin'....

The NSX is as tame as a Civic in traffic, as much fun as a Ferrari on the highway (or track), and the maintenance costs are just north of an Accord's...plus you get Japanese bullet-proof reliability. Someone please show me the down-side to the crown jewel definition of sports cars?

Wait, were you thinking that was my honest opinion?! lol

Thats just what it seems people write these days mostly... and they always place a lower acquisition cost than normal too.. my post was a "mockery" of what we have been forced to read these past few years.

Thanks for sharing the excerpt. Would love to read the whole thing if anyone can get ahold of it.

THis appears to be the article in question from Sports Car Market magazine.

A Practical Supercar<o:p></o:p>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
<o:p> </o:p>
Affordable Classics <o:p></o:p>
Written by Dale Novak <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The automotive world is buzzing with the second coming of the Acura NSX, which is slated to hit the streets in 2015.<o:p></o:p>
That’s great news for Acura supercar fans — and should be even better news for those who already own a first-generation NSX — as it could prop up the market by reinvigorating the original breed — and create more demand for the early cars.<o:p></o:p>
The Acura NSX, built by Honda from 1990 to 2005 (1991 in North America), dispatched the notion that a supercar had to be mechanically fussy, wildly expensive to repair and at a price point only for those with reserved parking spaces at expensive country clubs.<o:p></o:p>
While it wasn’t cheap ($60,600 MSRP in 1991), it was affordable if you could actually buy it for the sticker price — which was exceedingly difficult to accomplish during the first release in 1991, with dealers hammering starry-eyed buyers for an additional $25,000 in “market adjustment” profit. Some guys, who for whatever obtuse reason, just had to have one, stroked a $100k check for first dibs.<o:p></o:p>
Today, a well-sorted, low-mileage, NSX can be had for $20,000 to $65,000, depending on the model year. In fact, we just looked over a first-year 1991 model at Mecum’s Kissimmee sale — it was a very nice example, black on black with 56,000 miles, selling for a respectable $36,040 (Lot S76). Keep in mind that these cars are new enough to purchase a CARFAX, which might disclose a wrinkle or two if something is amiss. This information can be very handy when you’re hunting for a good example.<o:p></o:p>
A high-tech ride from the start<o:p></o:p>
The NSX accomplished a few production-car firsts, such as an all-aluminum engine, body and suspension, four-channel ABS, titanium connecting rods, and electric power steering (automatic-transmission models only). Powering the machine was an aluminum 3.0-liter V6 engine, with dual overhead cams and variable valve timing. All of the initial NSX coupes had 5-speed manual transmissions, and the V6 produced 270 horsepower. A 4-speed automatic transmission came into play a few months later, but power dropped to 252 horsepower.<o:p></o:p>
Over the years, the body design remained largely unchanged, with a Targa-top model introduced in 1995 as the NSX-T, which was the only model sold in 1995. The fixed roof returned in 1996, which offered buyers a choice between the two body styles. More liters and ponies were added in 1997, increasing power output to 290 horsepower, and a new 6-speed transmission was offered. In 2002, the body was refreshed with the first styling update and the fixed-roof model was dropped in favor of the Targa NSX-T, which would run until the end of production in 2005.<o:p></o:p>
Expensive tires, transmission repairs<o:p></o:p>
Scouring through the blogs and NSX enthusiasts websites, the most common complaints appear to be the cost of the tires, which are at different sizes front to back, massive repair costs if the car is damaged, ABS brake issues in the 1991–92 models and door-lock knobs that can come loose and cause the rod to drop down inside the door (1995–97). On the “pre-purchase inspection” list, expensive repair items can include the shocks and struts, automatic transmission issues and exhaust system repairs.<o:p></o:p>
While the NSX lacks some of the look-at-me factors enjoyed by other high-performance two-seaters, they are extremely refined, have excellent road manners, are reasonably fast (0–60 mph in 5.8 seconds) and enjoy a long history of Honda reliability. If there’s a nit, some owners have picked on the lack of visibility of the audio and climate control systems in strong sunlight — and the top of the dash can be distracting when it reflects back into the low-slung windshield.<o:p></o:p>
Early models starting the price climb<o:p></o:p>
The market for these mid-engine cars can vary, much like any later-model classic. However, values of these cars are tied more to miles and a clean vehicle history. You are more likely to see an Acura NSX referred to as “clean” or “very clean” rather than viewed as a #3 or #2 “classic car”-graded example.<o:p></o:p>
Part of that equation, at least from my perspective, is that the car was so forward-thinking when it was introduced, so it still appears fairly modern today — even if it’s 22 years old. This can play into a classic buyer’s mind, as many times we seek out cars that look the part.<o:p></o:p>
Drive an NSX into a classic-car show, and you’re likely to have plenty of onlookers scoff at the notion that it’s really a classic car. Park it next to a 1991 Corvette, and you’ll see what I mean. Of course, for the NSX enthusiast, the car is everything it needs to be, and who cares what others might think — which is as it should be.<o:p></o:p>
The 1992 models are the most affordable of the bunch, with values starting in the low-$20k range for an average example — if you’re a patient shopper. As one would expect, values climb for the NSX-T editions, as the roof comes off, allowing drivers to do their best Don King hairdo impressions at speed.<o:p></o:p>
Values peak for the 2005 models, which range from $50k to $60k, depending on overall condition. Keep in mind that 1991–95 models may have turned the corner — meaning possible future appreciation — while the 1996–2005 years may still be depreciating.<o:p></o:p>
Although I seem to have misplaced my crystal ball, I’ll fire off an off-the-cuff, mud-on-the-wall, market prediction. I like these cars — and have since they hit the streets in 1991. In my mind, that means plenty of other guys like them too — and at least one enthusiast liked one well enough at Mecum’s Kissimmee sale to part with $36,040.<o:p></o:p>
That said, I also like a lot of cars — so there’s the Achille’s heel. If I wanted to squirrel one away, I’d look for a fully documented, fastidiously serviced 1991 NSX or 1995 NSX-T with low miles, the original paint, a clean history and the manual gearbox.<o:p></o:p>
While I’m at it, I’d like to find one with fresh tires on it. ♦<o:p></o:p>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Back