• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX as a garage queen?

I have owned my 97 for 7 1/2 years and have put 10,200 miles on it. She has never seen rain (even puddles), and certainly not salt or snow. It is cleaned and detailed on a regular basis. I don't ever plan on selling my car, so I think it will be in pristine shape many years down the road. Consider why I don't put many miles on my car - I can only drive from April until November due to the weather here in Michigan. Also, I have a demanding job, a family and many other hobbies. I don't think I will grow tired of my car. I fall back in love with my car every April when it comes out of hibernation.

I have owned my 97 for 7 1/2 years and have put 10,200 miles on it. She has never seen rain (even puddles), and certainly not salt or snow. It is cleaned and detailed on a regular basis. I don't ever plan on selling my car, so I think it will be in pristine shape many years down the road. Consider why I don't put many miles on my car - I can only drive from April until November due to the weather here in Michigan. Also, I have a demanding job, a family and many other hobbies. I don't think I will grow tired of my car. I fall back in love with my car every April when it comes out of hibernation.

Enjoy your seasonal ride :biggrin:

I'm not sure I understand the point of keeping cars out of the rain?

What do you use to wash it? Something other than water?

There is member will a silver car in SoCal that has NEVER used water on there car, only detail spray. TRUTH

...How many others are using their NSX as a garage queen? Please dont be shy to admit it!

Hello, my name is Sam. I have an NSX, and it is a garage queen.

OK, I admit it. :tongue:

Not to defend or offend, but, it is a very special, rare, and arguably exotic vehicle. And, special things get taken care of in special ways.

Hello, my name is Sam. I have an NSX, and it is a garage queen.

OK, I admit it. :tongue:

Not to defend or offend, but, it is a very special, rare, and arguably exotic vehicle. And, special things get taken care of in special ways.

No issue with me, enjoy the ride :biggrin:

You know whats funny? Even though I think of it as a garage queen, I just drove 300 miles rt today to the Bay Area. I bought the car 4 weeks ago with 6200 miles on it. It has almost 8200 miles now:) I put 2k miles on in 1 month!!

My NSX used to be a garage queen but now I had done some mod to her and looking to drive her more when the weather gets better.:smile:

I own 2, 92s both garage Queens of sorts. One is a project car the other is a much more complete project car. I enjoy working on/building the cars and then testing how the build has come out; then tinker a bit more. It is a form of self expression. Do I drive the cars? Yes to events like EXPO in 2004 [750miles plus one way], to shows, to get together and just to cruise. I drive the car when I can enjoy the drive and that dose not occur in rush hour traffic, rain, snow or off-road conditions. :biggrin: I regard the cars as special so I use them for the less mundane; to each his own. :wink:

Last week I got a phone call about a car I sold 3 yrs ago.
Potential new owner wanted its History.
I owned the car for 18 years, bought it from the orig owner.
Early 65 (Sep 64) Fastback K code Mustang.
(Think Shelby without the stripes)
(271hp solid lifter Hi-po 289 with the early 306 HP factory Cobra kit.
Complete with T open letter pan, valve covers, and small letter cobra intake, road race holley carb,override bars, Koni's,
4 speed close ratio top loader, 9" RR, rally pack, radio delete.
I sold the car with about 65k orig miles, orig paint & int in 2004.
I put 6000 or 7000 miles on the car during my 18 years of ownership.
Always garaged & covered. Waxed / even waxed the factory painted undercarriage.
Car was Phoenician Yellow with Palomino int.
Long story short, car now has 75,000 miles. Has been sitting outside, has surface rust & runs like crap.

Have owned about 40 cars. Some Queens & others Tramps.
Tramps are always more fun.......
My NSX is a combo.... 61,800 miles & keep it detailed like a Queen.
I think garage queen means different things to different people.
I know of cars that live in those inflatable clear plastic bubbles in climate controlled garages. (That was the fate of the last car I sold in 2005)
Where some here think if you only drive in nice weather your a garage queen. What's your definition?

Last edited:
I bought my 1994 NSX in February 2000 with 6,100 miles on it. It was my daily driver for three years and I put 40,000 miles on it during that time. Now I use it as my weekend daily driver and for long road trips. Total miles now are 61,xxx and I never plan on selling it. :biggrin:

Yes, I use water like most everyone else to clean my car. Keeping it out of rain keeps the underside of the car and the engine compartment clean. Every time my car is on a hoist, people remark that it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. You can't say that with cars that drive through rain, mud, snow, etc. My daily driver (06 Cadillac STS AWD) I take through everything. I have never hand washed my STS. It only goes through a $4 car wash. I save all my energy and fanaticism for my NSX.:wink:

Yes, I use water like most everyone else to clean my car. Keeping it out of rain keeps the underside of the car and the engine compartment clean. Every time my car is on a hoist, people remark that it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. You can't say that with cars that drive through rain, mud, snow, etc. My daily driver (06 Cadillac STS AWD) I take through everything. I have never hand washed my STS. It only goes through a $4 car wash. I save all my energy and fanaticism for my NSX.:wink:

That sounds like me :)

Some of these posts amaze me. I can't fathom my NSX just sitting there looking pretty. My 97 had 23K when I bought it in Nov. 2006 and it now has 26K+. I put 1200 miles getting it to Texas from Denver. I thought I would drive it 1-2 days a week but it's turning out to be more like 2-3. I suppose weather in Texas makes it easier to do, but I want to drive it everywhere.

My wife thinks I drive it too much already.

We've had nasty weather here in Austin for a while and yesterday was the first day to drive it in over a week. And I drove it again to work (50 mile round trip) today.

I'm not opposed to driving in rain but I don't because I just don't want to wash it that often - nor do I want anyone sliding into me.

I expect to drive somewhere between 5,000-10,000 miles per year in the NSX. And I don't plan to sell it. It may be the only sports car until my three kids get done with college (maybe 2016).

With rain, you get dirty water on the car in addition to road debris and other junk stuck to the paint. All of that can cause paint deterioration (or fine scratches when you finally wash the junk off). That's one good reason for avoiding rainy weather. NSX paint is special. I've not seen paint quality like the NSX on many other production cars (including high end exotics).

Another good reason is (well, at least in my experience in CA), when it rains, people forget how to drive and start smashing into each other. I'd rather not have the NSX on the road w/ the increased risk of having the car destroyed by a 6,000 lb SUV going 70mph.

All of my other cars go out in the rain. The NSX. No.

I live in the northern reaches of Canada...lol..and I drive my 91 NSX with 18 and 19 inch rims and low profile tires in all Weather conditions...doing donuts in the snow is a f***king blast!!!...lol...and also...I get the pleasure of washing my car everyday. I detail the engine on a monthly basis and the interior is done daily as I wait for the car to warm up or as I sit waiting at the lights. The beauty of the car is that it is to be appreciated...and no one can say for sure that there will be a tomorrow!! Just drive the car and enjoy the mods baby!!

Thanks again Stevo...the car rocks and the mods are phat and sweet!!

Your next car is around the corner brother...just be patient...as I was...I looked for 2 years...

I am out...God's speed

Dam

I drive mine only on the weekends. I rideshare on a vanpool during the week and it makes no sense to drive the car alone when I can save money on gas and wear and tear. My car may be categorized as a garage queen, but I dont like hearing stories about vandalism or how someone elses car got hit in the parking lot. I bought the car to enjoy and I love it everytime I get behind the wheel.
Good luck on the daily driver thing...it seems like every time I drive mine I see yet another rock chip. It's no wonder so many cars have been painted several times.

All this discussion about the pro's and con's about the NSX being a garage queen brought back a very dark memory that no doubt affects why I don't drive my NSX on a more regular basis. When I was much younger, I had a car (not a NSX) that was the envy of the neighborhood. One day, I had parked it in the parking lot of a local shopping center for a couple of hours unattended. When I came back to the car, I discovered that some pos had keyed my car on EVERY panel of the car (quarter panels, hood, decklid, roof). This was right after I had a $2000 paint job (keep in mind this was 1978 - this was alot of jack back then - particularly for a high school kid). I was heartbroken. This led to some other bad luck for me I won't go into, but suffice it say that it scarred my psyche. So, pardon me if I don't subject my car to the every day elements that a normal daily driver is. There are enough jealous a-holes out there who would love to deface a car that they can never have.

Maybe they'll melt....?
So if your out on a drive and it starts to rain, do you have it towed home in a closed container ?
For 7 years I have owned my Pantera, I've driven it in rain, snow, wind and the gloom of night. Put 40+ miles on it over the 7 years, from coast to coast.
Just my personal opinion, but I've always felt that if your going to own it, drive it. You could die tomorrow and you're not taking it with you.
Enjoy it while you can for tomorrow you might not be able to

I believe there's a difference. We all (probably) park our cars in the garage.
The true garage queen never comes out unless it's going to a car show.

Last edited:
Garage Queen. 1200 miles in the 18 months that I've had it. But, I also have another older NSX that I can drive too. :tongue:

3738IMG_0975_2_.JPG

The Queen in her Courtroom... :biggrin:

Driven for enjoyment. The windsheild wipers are in the trunk...

Philip

3738IMG_0975_2_.JPG

The Queen in her Courtroom... :biggrin:

Philip

All I can say or think of when I saw that pic of your garage is ...... WOW!!! :eek:

That is awesome....Is that the Zanardi Edition? If it is, I totally understand why it is a garage queen! Wow that is a clean car!

Very nice.....hahahhaa If I had that garage I would just open the garage door and pull out a chair and a nice cold New Castle and sit there and admire what I have sitting in front of me....I can never get sick of doing that....well with the occational weekend that I would take her out to stretch her legs every once in a while. Some Garage queens are ment to have a throne....this one certainly deserves one.... big thumbs up on a great garage you have their!

Cheers,

Revhard191

All I can say or think of when I saw that pic of your garage is ...... WOW!!! :eek:

Cheers,

Revhard191

Not quite a Zanardi, but close! Lots of Type-S goodies on there.

Dad's car, Dad's garage :wink:

He checks out the board all the time,

I am sure your comments will be noted! :biggrin:

Philip

I bought mine in 2004 with 28k miles, 3 years later she has 47k. Most of those miles came in the first year I had it. I drove it everywhere. Now I only drive it in perfect weather. It's never seen rain (unless it started raining once on the road) and I live in NJ. The roads suck. Ive bent all 4 rims on my 18/19 SSR GT3's and they were unfixable. My 2 front 18' Volk CE28N's were just repaired for the second time.:frown: I love my NSX and will never sell it. She sleeps in the garage all the time. I get a company car and plan on spending alot of time in my S2000 this year.

The NSX feels great when you haven't driven it in a bit. You fall in love everytime all over again. Once that supercharger gets spinning, the windows go down and the system gets bumpin'....There's really nothing else like it. I mean, car related:biggrin:

The NSX feels great when you haven't driven it in a bit. You fall in love everytime all over again. Once that supercharger gets spinning, the windows go down and the system gets bumpin'....There's really nothing else like it. I mean, car related:biggrin:

I'm with you Kid!!!

-Wick

Back